Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History

Why doesn't anyone want to do whiz kid? That song is awesome.

I'd like to do it, and i've got a decent start already as well.

Splendid! Do you want to take part in this project? I can sign you up if you want me to :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way I've scrapped my Raven track. Starting from scratch on it some time before the next deadline. I doubt I'll have it in line with the other WIPs for this date but it'll be reasonable. If not then I'll not take up this track.

By the way I've scrapped my Raven track. Starting from scratch on it some time before the next deadline. I doubt I'll have it in line with the other WIPs for this date but it'll be reasonable. If not then I'll not take up this track.

Okay, I've got my WIP for that track ready. Had an awesome idea and I like what I've done with it so far. I'll need some feedback because I know for certain that some people won't like it at all, after some reactions I've had before when I've tried something new.

Also the project forums are lacking in activity. I'm taking this as a bad sign for the project. This time once the new WIP deadline has passed could you please inform us of the status of the project?

Ah, that is good news! I love collab tracks since this improves the quality of tracks most of the time! Four ears hear more than two ears, and if you work together you can join forces and everyone does what he/she can do best! :)

Besides, on the next WIP due date (which will be in like 10 days) I will add specific status notes on all the BLACK tracks - so if you have a track that is currently listed black in the tracklisting in the first post of this topic, you should contact me/submit a WIP very soon if you don't want to be possibly removed from the project. It is OK not to work on your track and to keep me informed at the same time, but it is not OK to not inform me at all on your status. It's now a long time already since this started and slowly we all should get in shape and get this crackin' - yay! ^.^

I may end up missing the deadline...I'll have a third WIP but my intention was to be near complete and I'm not quite there yet. To top that off I havent been able to get any decent string samples yet...

Will I get booted off if I do miss this one? I will try to make it I just dont think I'll make enough progress by then.

Don't worry, you don't get booted, you have already shown a lot of progress on your songs, and if you miss this deadline it won't really hurt that much.... about the string samples, if you have your tracks in MIDI I might record something for you...

Also: USA GET ON IRC SO WE CAN TALK.

How about you getting there, too? :P

Oh yeah, btw. half time for this month - only 6 days left until the deadline! Do your best, people, because after this deadline it WILL get serious!

Just wanted to say this.

I'm a really big fan of SoM's music. Most all of it's really really good. I've also already played through SD3. The strange thing is, however, that when I went to go listen to the SPCs after hearing about this project, I couldn't recall more than like 3 songs from the whole soundtrack before I started listening. Then I started listening to the SPCs. It just so happened that the first one I picked was Harvest November. I nearly cried of happiness because that was such a good track, and this project was being made. Then I listened to the opening theme, and thought that was really nice as well..................then...

What happened? I listened to all the tracks after that, and they were SO lame. They were all so simple, and not even the good kind of simple. After listening to them all, I only put 7 in a folder that I really liked. There were a few more that were okay, but overall, the whole thing was just way too simple, and the melodies were worse than Nobuo's. I'd even played the game before!

Hopefully this just means the project will be even better. Good luck!

Anyway, here's what I think has gone wrong with this original soundtrack. Wasn't he the head of the sound composition AND production for Secret of Mana? I heard that he/they used the SNES's sound in a way that had never been done before. But with SD3, oftentimes I would hear Kikuta try to make a similar style to that of SoM's, but the samples were just so hollow, and the whole thing was just not complex, which he seems to have a knack for making sound good, as opposed to simplicity. Does anyone know the backstory of what happened regarding him during the making of this game's music? He seemed VERY limited for every single song on this OST.

Well, Seiken Densetsu 3 has a significantly different music style from Secret of Mana - it creates a totally different atmosphere. SD3 uses much more mellow sounds than SOM. I kinda like both of the games' OSTs, SD2/SOM because it has such nice and crisp samples which are seldom heard on the SNES, and SD3 for its very special and enchanting, storybook-like mood.

Well, the SPC players I know mess the samples up a bit because they don't exactly emulate the soundchip. I have the original soundtracks on CD, and compared to the SPCs, it has a lot better and rounder sound, and more "rumble" in the bass department. Speaking of bass, SD3 has a lot of nice bass in its OST that makes it very special. In the SPC versions it is missing this nice sound a bit (because of the players), so I guess that could be one of the reasons for your disappointment.

As for simplicity, that is kind of a question of different tastes. For me, I like both styles of music, simple and complex. :)

OK, BIG ANNOUNCEMENT HERE

Well, the third WIP deadline is over! That means, I had to take some people out because they didn't show the smallest activity at all. Sorry about that, folks, you can reclaim your tracks as long as they are red. For the ones that didn't show activity over a longer time and haven't gotten far with their tracks, I colored them purple. Anyone can take them from now on. If you want to reclaim them, please get back to me and show your interest in these tracks.

Further removals are pending, but look, we are still at 91% filled out and got a lot of great WIPs so far. Please go on and keep this rolling, we already are quite far!

The next deadline will be announced soon-ish, too. It's time to get more of this finished, after this long period of seeming inactivity. To all of you who doubt this project is still alive - it is - just that people have been flooded with other projects and because of that had a lot of work on them, which kinda slowed progress on this one down. Nothing to worry about. It's done when it's done :)

You may want to do a massive PM of the people who need to contact you, because they may have forgotten about this thread or don't regularly check it. Don't wait for them to come to you! :)

Alright, sorry. I havent been online a lot lately.

Here's the deal, I'll be gone on and off the next two weeks, so I wont really have any further progression on my WIP until July. I'll be pretty much free that entire month so I dont suppose it should take me any longer than that. Unless of course that's not okay...

1-12 Raven (andyjayne) No WIP for a long time

What the hell? This was one of the latest WIPs posted in those vgmpulse forums. It was also the first version considering I took the track on half way through the last stage. I don't know whether you intended to write that but it is absolutely false.

1-12 Raven (andyjayne) No WIP for a long time

What the hell? This was one of the latest WIPs posted in those vgmpulse forums. It was also the first version considering I took the track on half way through the last stage. I don't know whether you intended to write that but it is absolutely false.

Whoops, now this must have slipped through without me noticing. Sorry about that, I instantly changed everything to its right state now. Sorry again, but sometimes things like these happen :/

Posted up a new WIP on the VGMpulse board. Ancient Dolphin is hard. :?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~ I thought you wanted to do it in that style of the piece I showed you from Super Metriod... but, to be honest, it sounds really great this way too, so don't worry *lol*

• Liontamer changed the title to Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic