Rock Drum Samples/Instruments

So, I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you heavy metal, heavy rock, synth rock guys etc. on drum samples. There's certainly plenty of choice from free samples to expensive drum instruments.

What do you guys use and what would you reccommend for someone making one of the above styles? What is it you like about those particular samples of instruments?

I know about EZ and Superior Drummer along with BFD 2 but, are there any of you guys out there who have used Steven Slate Drums? I've been eyeing up the SSD 4 Ex as its only $99/£55-ish. They still seem to be ironing out the bugs on it but would anyone care to give an opinion on yay or nay? Or what would you reccommend as an alternative?

Its a rather broad question and down to taste/workflow along with how much control you like over your drum parts, but thought this thread could help other peoples on the forums if they're considering drum sample packs or instruments for various rock styles.

Another voice in favor of Addictive Drums, albeit only from the demo. I've got Superior Drummer, but I prefer the demo of AD because of it's faster loading time, customization options, and easy interface. SD is probably best used by ppl from an actual mixing background who're used to working with real mics and real drums, whereas I find AD much easier to work with because I'm used to thinking of drums samples from a sampling POV where I can adjust pitch and other things in the samples themselves.

I've heard good things about SSD, tho. Once my personal economy starts picking up I might be getting me some new drum stuff, and AD and SSD are the two I'm looking at.

Really great suggestions guys, thank you. I'm torn between SSD and AD, but it'll become clearer once I spend more time with the demo of AD. NI's Studio Drummer I completely forgot about. Battery was a pretty good piece of drumming kit so I'll do some research on Studio Drummer. The price of SSD is quite an attraction over AD but then all the midi loops with AD sound pretty cool.......perhaps I'll have to consider both :roll:

FYI I'd recommend Battery for electronic stuff, and while it's not quite designed for acoustic kits, it does all right with preset kits that already have the round-robins and multiple mics (where needed). Still, the benefits of a rock-oriented tool are that the preset kits and samples are already geared towards that style, with more round-robins, velocity layers, multi-mic support, and whatever other things you may need.

I wouldn't recommend coughing up the dough for just Battery anyway. It's a good part of Komplete, tho. Dunno about Studio Drummer, but if it's Battery for acoustic drums, it might be worth it.

The best ones I've heard/used so far have been the Black Kit from Ministry of Rock and the Black Kit Elements from Stormdrum 2.

Those are quite expensive and the only real reason I'm suggesting them is just to add them into the list here, but I really quite like them. They're the closest to the Motoi Sakuraba sound I'm looking for.

I don't know of any commercial stuff, but maybe this will be of some use:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/529782-sharing-my-collection-drum-samples-here.html

I've layered some of these with other Vst's/samples to good effect. Even if you find a handful of samples you like it'll be worth the download :)

That's what I've been using too due to my lack of money. For the most part the samples are pretty good considering they're free.