Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

If you're at all interested, zircon, I'll work with you 1-on-1 to figure out a diet and exercise plan to get rid of the weight. Although, I know in the past, you've made it clear that you don't exactly trust my philosophy :P As I've done before, I can cite studies to corroborate any claim I make. It seems as though your approach isn't working. Why not try something different? What do you have to lose?

My bet is that if you follow my advice, you'll feel amazing, and you'll shed fat relatively quickly. Your move :D

edit: You're right in assuming that we all have "set points" with respect to fat, and recent studies show this set point appears to be related to the hormone, leptin. This leptin set point can be adjusted in an acute manner and also in a chronic manner, and we could work to exploit that and redefine your set point. Here's an article about it with links to a few studies. Finding a balance between your leptin, insulin, cortisol, macronutrient ratios and timing, and caloric intake is what I would focus on to achieve the fat loss you want. And barring a genetic disorder, it will work.

Edited by ectogemia

Everyone has decent-to-good advice, and the information is all seeming sound, but I think you guys are getting in too deep and complicated for Zircon's use case. He's about to ding level 10 and select his character spec while you bros are out doing level 90 raids. :P

Andy, i'll bullet point the steps you need to take:

"Zircon, those changes are all well and good, but at the end of the day it comes down to simply calories in versus calories out." -Professor Krug

"Lifting is going to burn the carbs you have available, and then the cardio can start to work on the fat stores. If you just do cardio, all you're doing for the first 20-30 minutes is burning carbs that you just ate. If you're not lifting weights, I recommend starting." - Joe "is there anything he can't do?" Zieja

You have a lot of people here who can and will help you 'powerlevel', but you'll have to do some work too. Nothing you can't handle though, i'm sure. :-)

Body re-composition isn't as complex as people make it out to be, unless you are near the top of your physical performance and are trying to min/max out that final few percentage points (like some of the guys here). Basically, it sounds like you are eating high quality foods, probably just too much of them. The calculator *here* will let you know how many calories you should be taking in, and then you will have to do a little bit of research on the calorie values of your most commonly eaten foods.

You actually have all the tools to do really well here; being a competitive gamer/producer who has undoubtedly looked up countless strats/builds/buy sequences for games, you just need to use them for real life. :-)

Edited by OA

Yep, Andrew, I agree with all that except one thing: hormones are king, and that's the crucial distinction to make in, um, the other Andrew's case. Calories in vs. calories out is a secondary consideration to make, but still an important one. It becomes more important for most people, though, as they approach single digit body fat %.

Calories in = calories out is NOT a reality in a pure sense. It just happens to work for a lot of people because it settles most peoples' metabolic hormones into a fat-loss profile. If calories in = calories out does not work for you, then you need to address hormonal considerations specifically to get results. Addressing insulin and cortisol and leptin (in that order) almost always leads to results because those are the three major hormones which tell fat cells whether or not to hold onto stored fat. You can eat a caloric excess of your metabolic requirements and still lose fat SO LONG AS that excess is not too high, the macronutrient composition allows it, and you are not exercising too frequently and too long. As such, calories in != calories out.

Exercise factors in as well. Excessive medium intensity steady-state cardio (traditional jogging) done too frequently leads to a chronically high secretion of cortisol which leads to muscle wasting and fat retention as a direct consequence of the hormone's actions, even in a slight caloric deficit. It just isn't as simple as the energy content of what you eat, but I know you know that being that you're up to speed on how macros and overtraining affect body composition. This is more food for thought for zircon to hack his approach.

Man, I keep forgetting to check this thread and now I'm way behind!

OA, way to go on your deadlift progress! Think you can make it to 4 plate before I make it to 5? :-P

Zircon, those changes are all well and good, but at the end of the day it comes down to simply calories in versus calories out. There are finer details to speak volumes on of course, but this is the core principal. Find a calculator online to estimate your body's daily maintenance calories and then plan your diet to be under that amount. 500 under is a good baseline. Do this and you will lose weight no matter what. It is the exercise and quality of your food, however, that determines how that weight is lost, same as if you were trying to gain weight. As I am trying to bulk up, I could just pig out on junk and not lift and I'd gain weight, but it would be all fat. Because I want that bulk to be muscle, that's were the heavy lifting and emphasis on protein comes in (among other things).

It's easy to feel like there are limitations, genetic or otherwise, that are keeping you from changing your body for the better. As a lifelong scrawny kid with aspirations of being big and strong I know this feeling better than most. And perhaps there is some truth to that - not everyone can be Bill Kazmier or Mariuz Pudzinowsky. But barring some rare genetic defect, everyone is capable of improving their body to various degrees of greatness. After enough time and effort, you start to realize you're not fighting against your body's sense of weight equilibrium, but rather you are fighting against your mind's equilibrium against major changes in your life, the sum of all the little details over the course of a lifetime that overwhelm most people and put them off of the idea of diet and exercise forever. Don't be overwhelmed. Not only is it not as bad as you think, if you do it right you'll even start to enjoy it. :mrgreen:

Since it's late as hell and I'm rambling on half awake I'll end with something familiar. It's not the net result of your body's genetic potential that's important. It's the day to day routines, and personal records. The celebration of health and fitness. It's enough if people are able to experience the joy that rigorous exercise brings.

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Krug/?feed

Yep, most people don't seem to understand the importance of this - pretty much jives with what one of my corporals told me (he had to go through losing weight before too - this man has impressive physique), and what I know by having lost a lot of weight (although I need to shed what I regained from pure laziness/eating a bit too much). To put it in a bit of a naive fashion, you have to hate eating since people tend to overeat by satisfying any craving for food.

Exercise helps accelerate the process too, since it allows you to burn calories. A lot of people don't push themselves hard when it comes to this - to give a bit of a perspective, sometimes I can easily burn 1000 calories doing exercise, often from running. When I run distance, I often go over 2000 calories (if not double this). When I work out at the gym now, I do my exercises with minimal break between them, doing a total body workout in 30 minutes, although the calorie burn from the gym is often not sufficient.

There is a caveat to extreme endurance workouts though - something like long distance running breaks down your muscles something fierce when you get to marathon or ultramarathon distances I'm told.

It does take time to build up to the point where your endurance can absorb the intensity of prolonged workouts, but it is a surefire way to lose weight - just ask any Marine who goes through the intensity of boot camp, typical weight loss ends up being 20 - 40 lbs (and weight gains for extremely skinny people who gained muscle) in the span of 3 months. The principle of breaking to build is important physically and mentally for physical health - much of it is mental.

Once you lose the weight like this, you can build upon your body properly (and look good doing so).

The diet the military uses in boot camp isn't anything special either, a good amount of carbs (regular bread, rice, pasta, pancakes, etc.), standard sources of protein (beef, chicken, fish, ham, bacon, sausage, eggs, milk, cheese, etc.), and fruit (bananas, apples, etc.). Salad isn't even really a part of the diet there (or at least, most don't get it because it's not enough substance given the intensity of the "workouts")! Salt is also important, especially during hot weather. You're often left hungry though, which makes sense since your body wants more sustenance before it tries to break down the fat for energy. For fat burning/healthy weight loss, it is what you want until you're at the point you want to be at.

On days where not much exercise is done in boot camp, meals are sometimes "skipped" or "forced" to be super light by some method or another.

At least, this is what my observations/experience has to say about it. I should follow my own observations more, I wouldn't have gained all this fat since boot camp if I had :oops: . It's easy to do much worse than this though, and as far as I'm aware, it's the only proven formula to accomplish what you want.

To put it in a bit of a naive fashion, you have to hate eating since people tend to overeat by satisfying any craving for food.

If you eat a high carb diet, yes, because you will constantly be hungry as a consequence of insulin resistance and unstable blood sugar. If you eat a low carb, high protein diet, you'll never be hungry. There are no cravings. This makes it easy to lose fat without even exercising.

There is a caveat to extreme endurance workouts though - something like long distance running breaks down your muscles something fierce when you get to marathon or ultramarathon distances I'm told.

This is the effect of cortisol which I have been harping on for several posts. Many people are so sensitive to the effects of cortisol that when they reduce their exercise load, they begin to lose weight and gain muscle by commensurately reducing their average cortisol secretion.

It does take time to build up to the point where your endurance can absorb the intensity of prolonged workouts, but it is a surefire way to lose weight - just ask any Marine who goes through the intensity of boot camp, typical weight loss ends up being 20 - 40 lbs (and weight gains for extremely skinny people who gained muscle) in the span of 3 months. The principle of breaking to build is important physically and mentally for physical health - much of it is mental.

Once you lose the weight like this, you can build upon your body properly (and look good doing so).

The diet the military uses in boot camp isn't anything special either, a good amount of carbs (regular bread, rice, pasta, pancakes, etc.), standard sources of protein (beef, chicken, fish, ham, bacon, sausage, eggs, milk, cheese, etc.), and fruit (bananas, apples, etc.). Salad isn't even really a part of the diet there (or at least, most don't get it because it's not enough substance given the intensity of the "workouts")! Salt is also important, especially during hot weather. You're often left hungry though, which makes sense since your body wants more sustenance before it tries to break down the fat for energy. For fat burning/healthy weight loss, it is what you want until you're at the point you want to be at.

Lots of exercise + a "normal" diet can lead to weight loss, but focusing on a low carb, high protein diet leads to weight loss in the absence of exercise. Again, calories in = calories out isn't quite the way it works. If you take advantage of hormones, you can lose fat without any exercise while eating a slight caloric excess of your metabolic requirements. I really, really prefer the latter. Less work, more meat. It also preserves muscle when cutting fat. The biggest benefit of all, though, is the satiating effect of protein. You'll never be hungry again, and that's critical to sticking to the plan and staving off cravings. It also leads to stable blood sugar, constant energy levels before and after meals and throughout the day, and a better quality of life as a result. Good ol' gluconeogenesis.

On days where not much exercise is done in boot camp, meals are sometimes "skipped" or "forced" to be super light by some method or another.

Fasting leads to insulin and leptin sensitization which leads to disinhibition of hormone sensitive lipase in fat cells. That allows your fat cells to release stored fat which means you're using fat for energy. Win.

and as far as I'm aware, it's the only proven formula to accomplish what you want.

See above for another approach :P I've been doing it for almost 3 years now, and my weight has been completely stable (9-10% body fat) with no exercise and paying no attention to calories. And in the past 2 months, I've put on 20 lbs. in the gym doing strength training; very little of that was fat. Haven't taken a jog in maybe 2 years. I'm not even doing HIIT sprints. The importance of the macronutrient composition of your food cannot be overstated.

Edited by ectogemia

Okay, so I put on the vibrams this mornign to give them a re-test run. I was able to get them on a little faster because my feet were dry (I hadn't been wearing shoes before I put them on), so that problem isn't as bad anymore. But I'm worries that they just don't fit my feet.

Don't tell anyone this, but I have giant big toes. So when I fit my feet in the shoes, ther'es like a quarter inch of space between the end of every toe and the end of the shoe. Except of course the big toe, which fills out fine. There's a liiiitle bit of space in the back, but the shoes don't actually slip off my feet. I'm wearing a 43 (I wear a 10 and a half in US size) so that's actually already running small for me. Those of you with vibrams - is this fit OK or am I screwed because I have Mutant Feet?

I lifted with them on, today, because I wanted something low impact where I could just get used to wearing the actual shoe. I did jog a bit in the parking lot to see how it felt, and it felt like someone was drivign sledgehammers into the bottom of my feet. Do I just need to get used to that impact? I don't need a compressed spine when I'm 50 because I wanted to wear cool feet-shoes...

I'm going to continue experimenting with them.

On another note, I joined a Parkour gym.

I lifted with them on, today, because I wanted something low impact where I could just get used to wearing the actual shoe. I did jog a bit in the parking lot to see how it felt, and it felt like someone was drivign sledgehammers into the bottom of my feet. Do I just need to get used to that impact? I don't need a compressed spine when I'm 50 because I wanted to wear cool feet-shoes...

I wear my vibrams all the time for running. You definitely cannot run like you can with normal shoes, because if you hit the ground with your heels you'll injure yourself. You have to hit with the balls of your feet and absorb the impact through the rest of your foot and your calf muscles.

I bought mine because I always got shin splints when running, and I haven't had that problem since. The only issue is that you'll probably pull you calf muscles at first, but afterwards it feels extremely natural to run with them. When I go out, I run about 3 miles with no issue.

Okay, so I put on the vibrams this mornign to give them a re-test run. I was able to get them on a little faster because my feet were dry (I hadn't been wearing shoes before I put them on), so that problem isn't as bad anymore. But I'm worries that they just don't fit my feet.

Don't tell anyone this, but I have giant big toes. So when I fit my feet in the shoes, ther'es like a quarter inch of space between the end of every toe and the end of the shoe. Except of course the big toe, which fills out fine. There's a liiiitle bit of space in the back, but the shoes don't actually slip off my feet. I'm wearing a 43 (I wear a 10 and a half in US size) so that's actually already running small for me. Those of you with vibrams - is this fit OK or am I screwed because I have Mutant Feet?

I'm going to continue experimenting with them.

On another note, I joined a Parkour gym.

Beth is right. The only things I have to add are maybe you need to go get fitted personally for Vibrams. Try out a few consecutive size and see what works best. As a caveat, Vibrams are always stiff and a little uncomfortable when you first get them. They'll break in over a week or two. Also, check out amazon (or perhaps youtube) for books/vids on how to run barefoot, and apply those principles to running in Vibrams. Barefoot running is VERY different from the unnatural heel-strike running you've learned since age 2 or whatever.

Once they are broken in and your musculature has adapted to Vibrams, you shouldn't notice ANY discomfort or tightness or such when wearing them. I'm a little concerned about that extra toe space you have, though. That can't be comfortable, and I can't imagine breaking in your shoes would fix that space issue. You big toe sucks.

I wear my vibrams all the time for running. You definitely cannot run like you can with normal shoes, because if you hit the ground with your heels you'll injure yourself. You have to hit with the balls of your feet and absorb the impact through the rest of your foot and your calf muscles.

I bought mine because I always got shin splints when running, and I haven't had that problem since. The only issue is that you'll probably pull you calf muscles at first, but afterwards it feels extremely natural to run with them. When I go out, I run about 3 miles with no issue.

In general, you shouldn't hit the ground with your heels anyway - that's bad running form.

When it comes to running, lifting your legs and kicking forward instead of back-kicking is the way to go - it's almost like a chicken strut.

In general, you shouldn't hit the ground with your heels anyway - that's bad running form.

When it comes to running, lifting your legs and kicking forward instead of back-kicking is the way to go - it's almost like a chicken strut.

That's a good way of thinking about it. It's a front-to-back motion rather than a back-to-front motion. It really is a controlled fall. You just sorta put your foot forward from rest and lean into it til you fall onto the ball of the lifted foot, then alternate. That's the basic idea. It takes a little practice, but it's a really cool way to run; feels great.

Well, working at a hospital has more perks than I thought. In addition to access to a fully decked out gym on the fourth floor, I also get free access to an employee health officer. I've got a weight loss consultation scheduled with her next week. We'll see how it all works out.

I was actually pretty disappointed with the weight loss consultation. Basically, all she said was "Eat less starch, eat more protein." I was hoping for a customized plan, but after seeing her, it's pretty obvious that she wasn't exactly an expert. Nevertheless, I'm still going to follow it. What are some good protein dinners that you can suggest besides fish?

Off topic, but the fact that protein isn't spelled "protien" is bugging me. The rule is "I before E except after C and when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh."

I was actually pretty disappointed with the weight loss consultation. Basically, all she said was "Eat less starch, eat more protein." I was hoping for a customized plan, but after seeing her, it's pretty obvious that she wasn't exactly an expert. Nevertheless, I'm still going to follow it. What are some good protein dinners that you can suggest besides fish?

Off topic, but the fact that protein isn't spelled "protien" is bugging me. The rule is "I before E except after C and when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh."

It's protein and not protien because of the Romantic derivation of the word. "ein" sorta means "material of" and "prot" sorta means "first" or "before". So the name basically means "first material [of life]", although that description is sorta antiquated. It's technically not even pronounced "PRO-teen". It's really "PRO-tee-in". Every other word in biology ending in "ein" tends to be pronounced like the latter, but for some reason, protein gets a bye.

Her advice was sound, though general, and to be totally frank, my mind is blown she didn't give you shitty advice. As I've been saying all along, eat fewer carbohydrates to reduce insulin (the hormone primarily responsible for stored fat retention). Protein is the molecule primarily responsible for satiety. If you eat a low carb, high protein diet, you WILL lose weight because A) you'll have a lower average insulin secretion which means your fat cells will release stored fat more readily and B) you should never be hungry because of the positive effects of protein on satiety and C) because you will be eating fewer carbs and secreting less insulin, your blood sugar will be better maintained, resulting in less hunger.

Now's the time to forget everything you've ever heard about fat because most of it is wrong. Eat meat, mostly red, ideally grass-fed and grass-finished (probably will have to source this from a local farmers' market). Fish is excellent, but not very filling. Poultry is ok, I guess, but it's also not very filling, and the high omega 6 content is a concern for frequent consumption.

Edited by ectogemia

Eat meat, mostly red, ideally grass-fed and grass-finished (probably will have to source this from a local farmers' market). Fish is excellent, but not very filling. Poultry is ok, I guess, but it's also not very filling, and the high omega 6 content is a concern for frequent consumption.

Red meat as long as you watch your fiber otherwise you are setting yourself up for problems down the road. If you get around 30g a day and drink as close to a gallon of water as possible you should be fine though.

However if you are seeking weightloss advice red meat probably isn't the way to go. Besides, it's cutting season! Go for poultry, no more fish than twice a week and log all of your calories. Then punch in some information over here and make sure you are not going over your resting metabolic rate http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drwilley3.htm (scroll down to midway through the page).

I'm starting my cut this month which includes a 12 hour fast (none of that 8 hour diet garbage)each night. Whatever time I plan to get up and have breakfast, that's the time I make sure to have all of my meals in by.

Good luck!

Red meat as long as you watch your fiber otherwise you are setting yourself up for problems down the road. If you get around 30g a day and drink as close to a gallon of water as possible you should be fine though.

However if you are seeking weightloss advice red meat probably isn't the way to go. Besides, it's cutting season! Go for poultry, no more fish than twice a week and log all of your calories. Then punch in some information over here and make sure you are not going over your resting metabolic rate http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drwilley3.htm (scroll down to midway through the page).

I'm starting my cut this month which includes a 12 hour fast (none of that 8 hour diet garbage)each night. Whatever time I plan to get up and have breakfast, that's the time I make sure to have all of my meals in by.

Good luck!

The fast is an excellent idea, but I have no idea where you're getting the rest of your information from. It's false.

Those basal metabolic rate calculators are silly, too. You have no idea what your basal thyroxine is unless you get a blood test.

I'd like to hear from you what it is exactly about poultry that's superior to red meat in terms of weight loss (notwithstanding its inferior nutritional content). Hard mode: do this without using the word "calories" (e.g. calories are not terribly important with respect to weight loss for the AVERAGE person if your insulin and leptin are kept under tight control).

Edited by ectogemia

The fast is an excellent idea, but I have no idea where you're getting the rest of your information from. It's false.

Those basal metabolic rate calculators are silly, too. You have no idea what your basal thyroxine is unless you get a blood test.

Oh yea competition time!

Those calculators are not perfect but it's better than not thinking about it at all. I use a scale that gives me my weight/lean muscle but that has a decent chunk of error too. But it's a guideline and a source of motivation.

Everything else is pretty standard stuff that i've picked up over the years. Especially the fiber. Very important when doing red meat. A gallon of water is just common sense if you are active and having the necessary fiber.

Problem with that though is that the last 2 years of my life has been strictly about not eating fat and not caring about carb intake. Suddenly changing so drastically isn't going to be so simple. Especially since you have been essentially advocating the atkins diet which requires pretty much no carbs at all in order to work. Essentially, I don't have the ability to micromanage every gram of sugar or carb out of what I eat. I'm definitely screwed when it comes to eating less than 20gram of carbs a week. That means I need to know what I can eat in large quantities and not have to worry about it. (Besides vegetables) So yea, red meat is kind of a problem. I'm not even sure if my stomach can handle it anymore. Besides, I think there's too much fat in red meat anyway. So besides that, what high protein dinners can you suggest for me?

Oh and why no fish more than 2 times a week? Please don't tell me because of the mercury.

Edited by Thin Crust

Everything else is pretty standard stuff that i've picked up over the years. Especially the fiber. Very important when doing red meat. A gallon of water is just common sense if you are active and having the necessary fiber.

I'm not clear on the fiber thing. Never have been, and I suspect there's a reason...

Can you explain to me the biological mechanisms whereby fiber aids in weight loss and also in general health? If you can, you would likely be a candidate for a Nobel prize down the road. No one yet has been able to do so. Correlational/epidemiological studies are NOT to be trusted without further investigation into the biological mechanism underlying the studied variables. The reduction in maritime piracy over the past 2 centuries has been strongly positively correlated to the increase in the average global temperature. Does that mean the death of piracy caused global warming? Think about that when you see studies which speak of things like "correlations" or "risk factors".

edit: The only aspect of fiber which could aid in weight loss is the modulation of the absorption rate of dietary carbohydrates, but if you're eating a low-carb diet as Thin Crust is, this is a moot point.

Problem with that though is that the last 2 years of my life has been strictly about not eating fat and not caring about carb intake. Suddenly changing so drastically isn't going to be so simple. Especially since you have been essentially advocating the atkins diet which requires pretty much no carbs at all in order to work. Essentially, I don't have the ability to micromanage every gram of sugar or carb out of what I eat. I'm definitely screwed when it comes to eating less than 20gram of carbs a week. That means I need to know what I can eat in large quantities and not have to worry about it. (Besides vegetables) So yea, red meat is kind of a problem. I'm not even sure if my stomach can handle it anymore. Besides, I think there's too much fat in red meat anyway. So besides that, what high protein dinners can you suggest for me?

Oh and why no fish more than 2 times a week? Please don't tell me because of the mercury.

< 20 g of carbs per week? Fuck that. Shoot for < 20 g of carbs per DAY for rapid weight loss. < 50 g per day will probably even lead to great results. <10 g of carbs per day is considered a "zero carb" diet. < 20 g / week will become counterproductive once your cortisol catches up to the stress of constant ketosis.

There is nothing wrong with eating grass-fed beef every single day. I will defend this with studies to my death, and I will be eternally exasperated by those who contradict me without little blue links to support their claims.

Edited by ectogemia

fiber aids in poopin does it not? nobody likes being bound up and bloated. not scientific at all though. so feel free to correct me

Moderate fiber aids in pooping for some. I poop fine with and without it. High fiber intake actually causes diarrhea. Fiber is an undigestible (by humans) sugar which, like all sugars, attracts water. Too much fiber in the large intestine will draw water from the surrounding tissue space back into the large intestine and cause diarrhea, the opposite of its advertised (and I use this word very, very intentionally) effect.

Fiber also causes bloating, as it's a FODMAP (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-, and/or polysaccharide). Your intestinal flora (bacteria, yeast, and fungus) will snatch up this indigestible fiber to some degree and ferment it, releasing gases into your GI tract. Not comfortable, and its also not good for the functioning of your intestines over the long haul.

I'm going to start this week running with the vibrams. I'll keep you guys posted.

In other news, I'm 3 classes deep into parkour - anyone else in the DC area that wants to come do it with me? Classes can be pricey tho

Can you send me the details? (Over PM is good.) I've always been interested in learning some of the basics, though I might not have time for another month or so.