Fit Club ahoy! Where men are bros and women are also bros!

OceansAndrew

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing. I've lost 12 lbs and I have another 38 to go. Maybe less depending on what the scale says at work tomorrow.

But those ribs were pretty darn good. It's been a while since I had something like that.

Edited by Thin Crust

So, my wife and I are going to start Whole30 this week. Here are, really, the only things I am going to miss:

- Half and Half in my coffee

- Beer/wine with dinner

- Hookah (which I think is BS because it's not food, but whatever...)

Has anyone ever done this before? I feel like Ecto probably invented it.

If you're not familiar and curious: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/

To me, if you have some sort of serious problem that you can't seem to get rid of (IBS, eczema, allergies), trying this is almost not an option. I'm looking for improvement in the allergy department - without daily medication I am a miserable mother.

I will keep you all posted on how badly I just want to smoke my hookah.

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing. I've lost 12 lbs and I have another 38 to go. Maybe less depending on what the scale says at work tomorrow.

But those ribs were pretty darn good. It's been a while since I had something like that.

You don't have anything more to go. You've already made your lifestyle change now let your body adapt to it. 8) The reason i'm saying that is because my brother years ago did a carb free diet for half of a year then gained all the weight back in a few months because he thought he was done with it.

Your being overzealous with your carb elimination me thinks. If you are avoiding tomatoes due to carbs then I think you need to re evaluate what you are doing. Carbs are 100% necessary and if you are just focused on a short term goal instead of a lifestyle change you are going to find that a carb free diet is impossible to keep up.

Whole9? How do they sleep at night? How can anyone say to eat real food and cut out processed crap and call it their program? :-| I guess it's not all bad. They do give you a sticker at the end of it.

Whole9? How do they sleep at night? How can anyone say to eat real food and cut out processed crap and call it their program? :-| I guess it's not all bad. They do give you a sticker at the end of it.

I'm not really paying for it or anything, so I couldn't care less what they call themselves :P Besides, I'm handing full reins to my wife because stressing about food is against my religion. I eat what she feeds me.

carb free= energy free. If you're not trying to drop a lot of weight using ketosis, ditch the carb-free attitude.

ummm that's not true at all.

i'm on a 45g of carbs a week diet (aka: two granola bars on tuesdays) and lifting 4 times a week and working out every day i'm pretty sure if i was 'energy free' i'd be dead by now

Your being overzealous with your carb elimination me thinks. If you are avoiding tomatoes due to carbs then I think you need to re evaluate what you are doing. Carbs are 100% necessary and if you are just focused on a short term goal instead of a lifestyle change you are going to find that a carb free diet is impossible to keep up.

I agree about Thin Crust being a little overzealous. TC, eat whole foods. You're doing Atkins, really. Atkins is meh. It works pretty well for fat loss, but it won't make you healthy. Eat only whole foods (if the ingredients list of what you are eating is any longer than the name of the food itself, you're doing it wrong). Tack fairly low-carb onto that, and you'll shed fat like a madman.

But carbs aren't 100% necessary? That's 100% false. Your liver is more than capable of producing enough carbs from fats and proteins through gluconeogenesis to render carbs completely unnecessary in people who are not extremely active. In fact, carbs are the ONLY nonessential macronutrient. There are amino acids and fats the body cannot produce on its own from raw materials. Those aa's and fats are coined "essential." ALL carbs, some aa's, and some fats can be synthesized de novo in the liver. These are termed nonessential. Again, all dietary carbs are literally nonessential to human life.

That being said, The Derritt, you should probably pay close attention to how you're feeling working out 4 days per week and only eating 45 g of carbs per week. Your liver's maximum rate of gluconeogenesis is the limiting factor in preventing problems related to this sort of lifestlye. Everyone's biology is a little different, so maybe you can pull it off, but the vast majority of people would start suffering from adrenal insufficiency eating and performing that way.

Whole 9 is not "eat only whole foods." It is a variation of Paleo which is a variation of "eat only whole foods."

So, my wife and I are going to start Whole30 this week. Here are, really, the only things I am going to miss:

Has anyone ever done this before? I feel like Ecto probably invented it.

If you're not familiar and curious: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/

To me, if you have some sort of serious problem that you can't seem to get rid of (IBS, eczema, allergies), trying this is almost not an option. I'm looking for improvement in the allergy department - without daily medication I am a miserable mother.

Bahahaha, I didn't invent Whole9, but man, is it brilliant. Have high hopes, my man. Paleo cured -- CURED -- my allergies and acne. Been sniffles-free for almost 3 years now.

edit:

ummm that's not true at all.

i'm on a 45g of carbs a week diet (aka: two granola bars on tuesdays) and lifting 4 times a week and working out every day i'm pretty sure if i was 'energy free' i'd be dead by now

I think Joe meant if you're not eating carbs and you're exercising, you're likely to have low energy/be fatigued. I don't think he meant that carbs don't contain calories :P

Edited by ectogemia

Thanks ecto. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. You have nothing to worry about. Right now, I have no concern for health or fitness. Only weight loss. I'm very healthy and strong and I am getting all the nutrition I need. I've said before that right now, my whole diet consists of vegetables, salad, fish, and chicken. Also, I'm taking centrum for men every day. I'm loosing quite a bit of weight and I don't have any health concerns and I don't feel any different then before.

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Aw man. The volleyball people that come to my apartment complex haven't come in over a week. I just asked management about it and apparently since they weren't residents here people started complaining and they aren't allowed to come back. This makes me sad.

Oh and I just found the scale in the gym and it says I'm 10 pounds lighter than I am. If only that were true.

Edited by Thin Crust

Hey, anyone ever see this paleo guru's workout plan? As I mentioned earlier, I want to change mine up.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-workout-plan-basics/#axzz2TBxcPS4w

In other news, while using my vibram 5-fingers during parkour, I managed to use one foot to rip off part of my toenail of the other foot. I think I might need to wear normal shoes for a week or so while that heals up...But, for the record, I -really- like the barefoot shoes while doing parkour. It really helps you absorb shock. I just wish my toes didn't slide out of their holes doing anything other than normal motion.

Hey, anyone ever see this paleo guru's workout plan? As I mentioned earlier, I want to change mine up.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-workout-plan-basics/#axzz2TBxcPS4w

Seems good to me, covers all the basics. I personally want 3 days a week for lifting heavy things, because of my work schedule, but sprints and HIIT are good too.

Seems good to me, covers all the basics. I personally want 3 days a week for lifting heavy things, because of my work schedule, but sprints and HIIT are good too.

You get gypped with Fitocracy points though. :P

I'm going to try this plan for the 30 days I am on Whole 30 and let you guys know how I went. Though, in true parkour form this morning I ripped my hand open trying to jump up to a railing from which to do pullups. I slipped and it was sharp.

<3 the fuck out of Mark Sisson, even if we disagree on a few key tenets. Looks like a legit plan, but I agree with Andrew. Three days of very heavy lifting per week is probably optimal for recovery and strength-building (not gonna cite studies this time... I've had enough of that for now :P). Here's the important part: if your goal is to lose fat while maintaining strength, Mark's plan is the way to go. Keep in mind that Marks "Primal Blueprint" is INTENDED for fat loss, not for bulking or for strength-training. So yeah, depending upon what your goals are, that could be the perfect plan for you, or it could be a little off-base.

I just wish my toes didn't slide out of their holes doing anything other than normal motion.

YEP. I'm scared to really pull the trigger when I'm playing sports and moving laterally in my VFFs because I have the pair with the most minimal soles, so my shoes slip all over the place when I quickly cut left or right. MCL/LCL tear waiting to happen. I know Mark Sisson himself actually plays Ultimate Frisbee in VFFs (or barefoot). I wonder which model he uses? Which do you use? I think I have KSOs, can't remember off-hand.

Yo Ecto, I got a diet question that's related to teeth and not fat, if I could pick your brain. I love me some balsamic vinegar; it's virtually the only dressing I use, and I eat a lot of salads. Also, one of my favorite quick snacks is a dill pickle spear. This can add up to one or two salads a day with balsamic vinegar, and one (or at most, two) spears a day, which occurred to me is a fair amount of vinegar. Other habits like brushing and water drinking aside, am I setting myself up for teeth issues?

Thanks doc!

Yo Ecto, I got a diet question that's related to teeth and not fat, if I could pick your brain. I love me some balsamic vinegar; it's virtually the only dressing I use, and I eat a lot of salads. Also, one of my favorite quick snacks is a dill pickle spear. This can add up to one or two salads a day with balsamic vinegar, and one (or at most, two) spears a day, which occurred to me is a fair amount of vinegar. Other habits like brushing and water drinking aside, am I setting myself up for teeth issues?

Thanks doc!

I thought vinegar cleaned teeth?

I thought vinegar cleaned teeth?

Well, from my limited knowledge, too much can damage enamel. But given Ecto's profession, I'd rather ask than assume. It probably helps that I drink a lot of water and no soda, but still...I don't know how much vinegar is too much, or if there is such a thing as too much vinegar.

Thanks doc!

The short answer is probably not.

Now for the long answer:

Eating acidic foods can lead to erosion which is a physical degeneration of the teeth whereas eating lots of sugar can lead to dental caries (cavities) which is a bacterial infection which leads to a biological degeneration of the teeth. That's an important difference. Overconsumption of acidic foods won't cause cavities -- those are caused by bacteria -- but it can erode your enamel irreversibly over time which will weaken your tooth's mineral structure and make it easier for bacteria to infect the inner parts of the tooth which is no bueno.

That being said, dental erosion is something you generally have to go out of your way to inflict upon yourself unless you have a preexisting mineral or developmental deficiency of your teeth and/or bones. People who drink 4 or 5 pops per day have to worry about erosion. People who suck on lemons often have to worry about erosion. People who are bulimic have to worry about erosion.

And although vinegar is rather acidic, as are the fermentative acid byproducts of pickling solution (assuming it's a legitimately culutred pickle and not just cucumbers soaked in citric acid), if you're eating it with a salad, you're doing it right. Salad greens are basic, actually, so that will help raise the pH of your vinegary salad bowl a bit.

OK, so all that being said, what can you do to minimize your risk of adverse effects? Two simple things.

First, the mouth "remembers" the last thing you eat in a meal because everything you ate earlier in a meal is shorn off your teeth by what you eat after. So if you swish some water and finish off the glass after an acidic meal, you'll dilute the vinegar in your mouth and it'll be (almost) like you didn't eat anything acidic at all. As an aside, it's a good idea to swish water after eating sugary stuff for the same reason, or eat the sugary stuff before the rest of a meal.

Second, don't brush immediately after an acidic meal. The acid transiently and reversibly demineralizes your enamel a little bit This is not the same as a cavity or even erosion, really. It happens with every meal and is natural and harmless, as the lost minerals are replaced completely by ions dissolved in your saliva. Your teeth are "softer," though, after an acidic meal, so brushing after every acidic meal will, over time, cause "toothbrush abrasion" of your teeth which is no bueno.

So drink water after your salad and pickles and don't brush within 45 minutes or so of an acidic meal.

themoreyouknow.jpg