OCR02587 - Super Mario Bros. "Dirty Coins"

djpretzel

Ok, I'm going to premise this statement with the fact that I'm a huge Dubstep listener and fan and I don't mean to offend in any way.

I enjoyed the arrangement, I think it's solid and ranks up as one of the better takes on the Underground theme. I love the blend of the DnB-style beat for a mosh-y feel along with the solid Dubstep beat to bring the headbanging vibe. The sound-effects are clean and fit the song as opposed to just being tossed in for the sake of relating to the game.

My complaints are that the actual mid-bass instruments are a little bit bland. By bland I simply mean that the bass doesn't sound very stylized. A lot of what's in this remix sounds like some of the older tunes from artists such as Doctor P, Funtcase, Cookie Monsta from 2009-2010 era (Oldschool Circus tracks, essentially).

Now don't get me wrong, they don't sound BAD. They're well-mixed, nothing is muddy or overpowering, I just feel like Massive has a ton of potential and the mid-bass channels you made/used feel very safe and don't take much risk.

All that aside, this is a killer remix and I hope you progress into more bass-heavy mixes in the future :)

Maybe you're used to hearing bLiNd's other works, and this has been a big departure from his usual style. Sure it's not close to being his personal Magnum Opus, but I think it's a refreshing change for him. It's very upbeat, bouncy and in general sounds more like a "fun" approach rather than a serious approach to the source material. When it's not full-on dubstep mode, it goes to this nice, funky swinging beat, which is the best part of the track.

Oh man, when that beat hit at 1:38, it damn near got me moving. The sound effects give this ReMix the Super Mario charm, no doubt. It's nice to see bLiNd try his hand at something that seems to have exploded recently, and do a good job of it. Probably one of the better dubstep ReMixes I've heard recently on OCR, especially because of that catchy beat woven in with the dubstep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The 3 Jumps at 0:49 seem out of place, because they barely alternate in pitch.

Still love that interpretation of the Underground / Sewer Theme, because it just fits the source material so well in theme and tone.

Also, I love that all the good bits are extended.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02587 - Super Mario Bros. "Dirty Coins"