Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

Thanks man! I like the production on your track. The Sazh theme was so challenging to convert into some form of 4/4. I think I am def going to submit my track to OCR. But I don't know if I wanna keep or tweak the biting digital lead. I'll prob at least put more chorus on it to smooth it out. It is pretty biting on speakers/headphones that don't have as much bass response.

Getting Sazh's theme to fit into 4/4 and still retain the same feel was a bit tricky. I'm trying to get a bit away from creating mostly electronic tracks. It's a lot more challenging to step outside my element and I feel that I learn more that way. :)

Avaris & ShaggyFreak - Wow them's two really cool tracks. And two really tough tracks to integrate, wow that Sazh theme, glad it ain't MAH THEME haha! ;)

Avaris I think you did the slightly better job of integrating the two themes, and your mix keeps me entertained until the end. I think the high lead is ok as it is. Nice kick. Not sure I'm sold on the panning hats, but I like them better when the centered hat comes in. I think you could drop out some of the snare breaks near the end, the ones that don't lead to a big climax (like at 4:01 and again at 4:30, maybe replace with a huge reverse crash?), other than that I say it's probably good to go.

ShaggyFreak, those drums and ethnic instruments are da bomb, and you mixed everything really well. Possibly a touch too much reverb. I hear Sazh very clearly. But for a good part of the track it feels really empty! Huge section in the middle with just drums, no theme at all! I enjoyed it! Anyway! (sorry, channeled Garpocalypse for a moment)

I will get to the next voting pairing soon...

Thanks man! I like the production on your track. The Sazh theme was so challenging to convert into some form of 4/4. I think I am def going to submit my track to OCR. But I don't know if I wanna keep or tweak the biting digital lead. I'll prob at least put more chorus on it to smooth it out. It is pretty biting on speakers/headphones that don't have as much bass response.

Have you tried lowering any sort of waveshaping/distortion a bit, or perhaps using an internal EQ module (i.e. VCF-EQ in Zebra2) to EQ down any resonances? Chorus could work, but it working may mostly come from the side effect of adding it. i.e. I think chorus will indirectly help, but the other two things would directly help.

I only just now realized Hope's theme and Lulu's theme are in different time signatures.. well, I still haven't done any work on my piece, I would have realized earlier if I had. I have an oomphton of course work..

--Eino

Hmph well that's unfortunate. It shouldn't be be too hard to fit them into 4/4 though. That's part of the challenge, and it's fun. It's part of remixing too! Good practice. Changing the key, the time sig, sometimes people even change between major/minor or other .. things. I'll probably just keep it all minor though. :-)

--Branno

Have you tried lowering any sort of waveshaping/distortion a bit, or perhaps using an internal EQ module (i.e. VCF-EQ in Zebra2) to EQ down any resonances? Chorus could work, but it working may mostly come from the side effect of adding it. i.e. I think chorus will indirectly help, but the other two things would directly help.

Some good ideas. This sound is a little too dynamic and quick in its resonances to use EQ. EQ would kill whatever character it has. Chorus or a pleasing distortion/compressor would be better IMO. These resonances need to be "smeared" to help blend them together. There already is a chorus on the sound...it sounds really piercing without it.

I will prob go back tonight and really dive into the sound to even things out. I always try to make the sound good at the source rather than processing the crap out of it.

Some good ideas. This sound is a little too dynamic and quick in its resonances to use EQ. EQ would kill whatever character it has. Chorus or a pleasing distortion/compressor would be better IMO. These resonances need to be "smeared" to help blend them together. There already is a chorus on the sound...it sounds really piercing without it.

I will prob go back tonight and really dive into the sound to even things out. I always try to make the sound good at the source rather than processing the crap out of it.

Actually, when I say internal EQ module, I assume you knew I meant VCF-Notch, VCF-Peaking, etc. Those don't actually act as statically positioned EQs. They edit the harmonics of the sound, so wherever those resonances move, whether it's an LFO, pitch shift, or a different note, the same edit will be done at that/those particular targeted harmonic(s). At least, that's what I've found when I started using those more. Low cutoffs on VCF-Peaking or high cutoffs on VCF-Notch with low band widths should reduce the resonant harmonic without runing the character of the sound.

Edited by timaeus222

Actually, when I say internal EQ module, I assume you knew I meant VCF-Notch, VCF-Peaking, etc. Those don't actually act as statically positioned EQs. They edit the harmonics of the sound, so wherever those resonances move, whether it's an LFO, pitch shift, or a different note, the same edit will be done at that/those particular targeted harmonic(s). At least, that's what I've found when I started using those more. Low cutoffs on VCF-Peaking or high cutoffs on VCF-Notch with low band widths should reduce the resonant harmonic without runing the character of the sound.

I see potential for a video tutorial here! :)

Hey dude I am using Omnisphere's built-in in OSC's not Zebra 2 for the sound. ;) Those are filters within the synth not the internal EQ module. Besides even those types of filters would not work for taming this type of sound. It is an inherent problem with how the sound is generated not filtered. In this situation recreating a better sound is the ideal solution. To use a modulated notch or peak filter would require a Q or resonance so thin it would generate unwanted phase problems. Which is why EQ'ing or filtering a sound to that extent would destroy the character.

Hey dude I am using Omnisphere's built-in in OSC's not Zebra 2 for the sound. ;) Those are filters within the synth not the internal EQ module. Besides even those types of filters would not work for taming this type of sound. It is an inherent problem with how the sound is generated not filtered. In this situation recreating a better sound is the ideal solution. To use a modulated notch or peak filter would require a Q or resonance so thin it would generate unwanted phase problems. Which is why EQ'ing or filtering a sound to that extent would destroy the character.

Oh, okay. I assumed you were using Zebra. :P

Too true. Especially when you're a hobbyist who doesn't invest enough time into it :tomatoface:

Man, it's not just a thing of it being a hobby, it's just that my talents lie in arrangement and my classical theory training.

And maybe in live instrumentation I guess...

Music Production is just where I lack training in and I tend to tune out all the time when it comes up. lel

Man, it's not just a thing of it being a hobby, it's just that my talents lie in arrangement and my classical theory training.

And maybe in live instrumentation I guess...

Music Production is just where I lack training in and I tend to tune out all the time when it comes up. lel

you shouldnt tune it out ! Personally i envy people with classical training. youre not mucking around in the dark as much when it comes to musicality. I know people say you dont need to know theory, but i feel like youre much better off knowing theory. you cant transpose a song if you dont know how to determine the key, you can beef up melodies with harmonies. etc.

speaking of transposing, this week is looking grim. Gogo appears too strong for Cait sith. But really im just having writers block this week. ill fight till the end though!

I may do a "10 tricks you may find useful in FL Studio 11 and above" video if I have the time. And I mean truly useful, so it's not like "oh, you can do Make Unique to clone this pattern quickly" or "Press F4 to make a new pattern on the fly", because those get to be second nature at some point anyways. It would go into detail with tricks that ultimately improve workflow and production intuition in the end---methods that I don't think most people would think of trying (because it's obscure, not because they don't practice enough). The only drawback is that it's only FL, but eh, at least 50% of the people here use FL anyways (HoboKa, Esperado, Chernabogue... and I didn't even go deeper into the compo thread yet), so it'll at least hit a large target audience.

Edited by timaeus222

Garpocalypse and MindWanderer and also Tuberz:

Your tracks are hard to choose between, you are well matched for production and writing.

Garpocalypse: Your track confuses me a bit. It starts out so soft, a pad and harp, then a synth and some very rock-style drums, then with no warning, whammo... guitars and super fast drums. The guitar parts actually sound pretty good, but I don't think you've chosen the best synth timbres to go with them. Back and forth from super-soft/slow to very hard/fast sounding sections here... with no warning or signaling... need some transitions! The ideas are solid, they just have to flow better.

MindWanderer: Nice intro pad and flute, white noise sweep is really loud and dry... that first lead synth that comes in is quite loud and the glide parts aren't sequenced well. The second lead synth suffers from the same problems. Transition at 2:00 is really abrupt and has no warning that the track is slowing down, so it feels awkward.

Tuberz: That choir sounds really nice! That's the wordbuilder? I have to mess with that, I just got Symphonic Choirs myself. Makes for a really lovely, soft mix. Pretty track!

Edited by Chimpazilla