Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

Yea what's the deal with that evk? I thought it was heavily accented Japanese at first but listening to it now i'm not so sure.

Aha, I was actually confused what you were saying: first I thought you thought it was Japanese (turns out this was correct), but then the video you posted made me think that you meant to say it all sounded like "blah blah blah". :razz: I was confused, so I didn't reply.

Yes, it's Finnish. I'm not surprised that you thought it was Japanese actually, the syllabes in Finnish and Japanese are pronounced very similarly for the most part (which supposedly means it's not hard for a Finnish speaker to pronounce Japanese fairly correctly).

I'm trying to listen to the track as if it was in Japanese but it's pretty hard for me.. but I think I can hear the "accent".

Hmh, wish I had worked that instrumental bit from Serrah's theme into the song. It's pretty complete (structure-wise) as it is though..

--Eino

Happy thanksgiving guys :-D Wow, Chimpazilla and Timaeus' matchup is really close, the other ones not so much. Excited to see how this turns out. If we end up having a match-up where 2 people don't enter, one of you guys will need to step in for one of those spots. :lol: Hopefully everyone turns something in, though. But we definitely need to arrange some kind of Chimp/Tim Revenge Matchup :lol:

Happy thanksgiving guys :-D Wow, Chimpazilla and Timaeus' matchup is really close, the other ones not so much. Excited to see how this turns out. If we end up having a match-up where 2 people don't enter, one of you guys will need to step in for one of those spots. :lol: Hopefully everyone turns something in, though. But we definitely need to arrange some kind of Chimp/Tim Revenge Matchup :lol:

I think it would be really cool to do some kind of compo where people end up having to collab, either right away or after winning a round. Something to think about!

(and yeah, you guys can see how T and I are such good partners when we collab, our skills blend really very well!)

I think it would be really cool to do some kind of compo where people end up having to collab, either right away or after winning a round. Something to think about!

(and yeah, you guys can see how T and I are such good partners when we collab, our skills blend really very well!)

Earlier in the thread I was thinking of a guest character type of thing. Where a remixer gets one chance to use a fallen character in their remix to kind of help out. I think it would be a sweet collaboration opportunity plus if someone is having trouble melding their two sources they have a third to help bridge the gap. Either way or another though. Having lots of fun with this compo so far!

Reviews of the current round forthwithcoming!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I submitted mine days ago, I knew I wouldn't have any more time this week. The PM is in my Sent folder, did you not get it?

Oh right, you submitted EARLY after guessing what your matchup would be. I forgot because it was ILLEGAL!!!!! That kind of behavior is frowned upon. I frown upon it! :-( But yes, I have it.

Now it's time for the first installment of

GARPOCALYPSE'S

2cyrv2c.jpgziswgh.jpg

Because Rage Comments wasn't catchy enough

Toteukoon Toiveesi

Good use of both themes in a very unusual piece with some strange but fitting instrument choices! I'm no vocalist myself but I feel the singing is a little timid! and production wise it is too loud!... and drown out alot of the work you did filling out the minimalistic but solid groove! Reverbed rim shot for the win!

Ultimately, in the end, the result of this piece is not as cohesive as it could have been! I mean! It's cohesive! But not overly so!

Sweet N Sour

Starts off with a really nice groove though it quickly becomes apparent that it's one drum loop on auto pilot with a few cuts+a slowdown..... which is the transition to the next theme? Given a little more effort that could really work! It seems like you wanted an extreme change to represent the two sides of the piece but as strong as each element is that transition doesn't jivemaster as well as it could! Certainly not the most cohesive aspect of your work! More adhesive is needed for this to be as cohesive as it needs to be! Which is what alot of people seem to be talking about these days!

Edward Penelo's Waltz

Very cohesive piece this be! Amazing detail on the sequencing of the strings! Well, all of the instruments actually! Makes me wish I knew how to waltz! Not really though! When was the last time the truth made for interesting conversation anyway! Good Job!

Crystal Gradient

Hearing this makes me very happy to not have Penelo's theme! Maybe i'll get lucky and it will be eliminated! Hey Just kidding! You're allright! Very good job using the sources in a not uncohesive way! It's good to see a matchup among relative co-equals! Between Tim and Chimp i mean! The piano solo at 1:33 is the only weakness in my opinion! Doesn't really jivemaster with me for some reason! I think the result of this elimination! Is going to come down to a coin flip!

Black Magic Dice

Live playing over a piano loop? Not the most cohesive design choice! The cuts in the audio track could have been faded out to give the impression of it being a single take! Volume wise the piano is waaaaay too quiet! XPRT has some great advice on processing live wind instruments! Try to even out the sound over the length of the instrument with a compressor! I've never worked with a recorded live wind instrument before! Apparently! The sound resonates louder at different areas of the instrument depending on what note you're playing! Makes sense! Everything else works that way afterall!

Machine Gun Megaphone

Starts off really really well! With Cait Sith's theme being very obvious! A little too obvious if you catch me! This could use more reinterpretation on all fronts! As it is! It's too conservative! AND that transition to Laguna's theme I tells ya! There are two types of transitions! Some prep the listener without being noticeable and the other shocks the listener into the new section! It's either got to be completely unnoticeable or so obnoxious no one can miss it! What you have sounds good otherwise! Each section is very cohesive but as a whole it's not that cohesive!!

Better than Nyan(thing)

Dig the oriental vibe! Very unexpected style! Both sources are used very well! Cohesive you might say! I know I would! I'll say it again! It's cohesive! Production is a bit muddy and some of the drums lack the thunderous power they need but pretty enjoyable otherwise! Too short! Develop it! Then stick it on the forums!

La Ambiente

Going for the lounge music feel! Mission Accomplished! But not without a few hitches! Namely the Vibraphone! or Xylophone! Or is it a Marimba! Whatever! The attack is too uniform on the notes and the timing too perfect! At least at the start of the remix! Later in the remix it sounds pretty good! However! I think it would have been a more interesting part if it harmonized itself! Play some intervals!! Not just single notes! Marimba players can hold two sticks in each hand which means! They can hit up to four notes at once! I really like the feel of the remix though! I'll be having a drink to it later today!

Hopeless

Replace that Cello with a Contrabass! Not even kidding about this one! That cello lacks cohesiveness! In the attack! Wait what am I saying!? ALL cellos lack cohesiveness! I like the acoustic guitar though! Little dull sounding in spots in my opinion! Which doesn't account for much i know! Is that a mandolin?! Awesome!

Note: I had a few drinks while writing these. Keep in mind that everyone who does this stuff for free has my utmost love and respect. Don't take my comments too seriously!

Hopeless

Replace that Cello with a Contrabass! Not even kidding about this one! That cello lacks cohesiveness! In the attack! Wait what am I saying!? ALL cellos lack cohesiveness! I like the acoustic guitar though! Little dull sounding in spots in my opinion! Which doesn't account for much i know! Is that a mandolin?! Awesome!

I ran out of time and didn't record the mandolin, but at least I made an audio channel for it. :tomatoface:

I feel like you are pulling punches here. This mix was pretty terrible. If Sir_NutS had entered he definitely would have slaughtered me, no questions ask.

There's not even any bass guitar.

Nothing is mixed, and that cello has no automation whatsoever (not including glissando or whatever it does automatically between notes)

The strings on the acoustic are dead/dull. I'll take another pass over the arrangement, actually I might post it in the workshop forums. I don't think I've ever actually posted a proper WIP there before. In short, I'm going to redo all the acoustic guitars, record bass, fill out the rest of the keyboard parts. Might chop the arrangement done or do stuff to make it more interesting in some places.

Thanks for your overly sugar-coated anti-rage review. :P

Nothing is mixed, and that cello has no automation whatsoever (not including glissando or whatever it does automatically between notes)

:P

Not really sure what you mean. I'm not hearing any glissandos, which are slides. Or glides. Sounds like a long attack with some vibrato. Though i did slam your lack of bass namely in your choice to use a cello. :)

I'm not going to call out the creator of this remix competition! Not when you have forty four posts to my ...zero.

Garpocalypse! I love this reviewing style of yours! No matter what is said! It always sounds pretty upbeat! Even when what you have to say! Is not so nice! Or that it wasn't cohesive! Or that it didn't jivemaster! Or whatever! Or if you liked something! Even in the middle! Of a sentence! Always with the exclamation points! Everything sounds so amazingly happy! Everyone should do critiques just like this! No one would ever again be upset! The world would be a better place! And thanks! For taking the time! To do a detailed review! Of every song! So nice of you!

Oh right, you submitted EARLY after guessing what your matchup would be. I forgot because it was ILLEGAL!!!!! That kind of behavior is frowned upon. I frown upon it! :-( But yes, I have it.
Well, you sort of suggested it yourself, just not to me:
Eep I dunno man, you might have to take the hit and work during the week when you can. It wouldn't be fair to announce stuff early. If you look at the votes and you see an obvious trend as for who is going to win, and it happens to be you, if you're that lucky, and you can tell without a doubt who your opponent will be, then by all means you could try, but... eh :lol:
Seeing as how I worked on it basically Wednesday through Sunday, just in the wrong week, I feel guilt-free about it. Plus I scrapped my whole original idea after it didn't gel for two days, and my second idea was pretty random, plus I suck anyway. If Garpocalypse submits at all I'm sure he'll win. I'm just hoping there are parts of it that some people find enjoyable.

La Ambiente

Going for the lounge music feel! Mission Accomplished! But not without a few hitches! Namely the Vibraphone! or Xylophone! Or is it a Marimba! Whatever! The attack is too uniform on the notes and the timing too perfect! At least at the start of the remix! Later in the remix it sounds pretty good! However! I think it would have been a more interesting part if it harmonized itself! Play some intervals!! Not just single notes! Marimba players can hold two sticks in each hand which means! They can hit up to four notes at once! I really like the feel of the remix though! I'll be having a drink to it later today!

Thank you very much. :)