OCR00499 - Little Nemo "Nemo for Strings"

Ginnsu

Little Nemo 'Nemo for Strings'

Superb drum less tune here by Gux. It’s certainly got enough strings to make up for the lack of drums, that much is undeniable. But it’s also brilliantly executed. Absolutely wonderful work, Gux, keep this coming.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

One of the better mixes involving strings. Instead of making some echoey epic techno combo or such which many people do, Gux just went straight ahead and did a string quartet with absolutely nothing else. It takes some balls to do that. And I must say he pulled it off very very well...

Gux really is one of the better and riskier remixers on this site, imo...

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This sucks.

No, actually, I was just trying to shake things up a bit, but it's hard to imagine a bad review for this.

First, as mentioned before, the samples are quite fabulous. I am another fan of the effects-free recording; it sounds as if I'm sitting two yards away from a real string ensemble. Props for that. Second, good arrangement. It stands completely on its own as a strings piece.

Here's some badmouthing for sake of the earlier lack thereof: this is kind of hard to listen to. It's not something I put on when I'm ready for action, nor is it really soothing or demure. It's kind of harsh on my ears.

Okay, that's about all I can say against it. Nice concise ending, too. I like this song.

• 8 months later...

Wow. My initial impression was unimpressed. But as I listened, I suddenly had a very strong hit of nastalgia. Props to the composer! Makes me want to find this game again. Oddly, I think the music also reminded me of the Spirited Away for a moment too.

• 10 months later...

Love this.

I love this track.

When it kicks in at :52 seconds, that's what really gets me in the pit of my gut. I love the music here!

Like others have mentioned, though, I would like to hear some reverb on this and some better mixing. It's just so in your face with no reverb.

However, that's not going to stop me from immensley enjoying the piece.

Fans of strings should definitely check this out. One of the more realistic string pieces on the site - and that is certain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Usually, I can't stand the first levels to games, and Little Nemo is no exception.

The author seems well on his/her way on becoming a string quartet/quintet composer! Love what he does with each instrument. Sounds totally feasible on real ones, I'd say...

Keep up the good work!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I do think this would have hugely benefited from a room sound. As is, it sounds completely dampened, as if a quartet was playing in a tiny practice room with overly-enthusiastic amounts of insulation.

Arrangement is good, and the only thing that bothers me is the way the samples are so exposed. It really makes the flaws very apparent, and it jars me out of listening every few notes. :-(

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Really love the chamber style approach, though it frustratingly lacks that chamber ambience. The arrangement is definitely there; it has all I'd ever want from a realistic, classical interpretation of the theme. The only thing that detracts is that it is so upfront about it's sound, flaws and all.

Masking some of those mixing artefacts and the wear-and-tear that the samples have suffered could have fixed this. But if you accept the sound for what it is and focus on enjoying the way this melody has been arranged, I think it's a lot more rewarding.

Don't think I'll ever get tired of classed up versions of VGM, this mix included.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00499 - Little Nemo "Nemo for Strings"
  • 6 years later...