Arcadia Legends - History

Darkflamewolf

=Skies-of-Arcadia-2.jpg
Project Director: Darkflamewolf
Art Director: Modus
Sound Designer/Masterer: Rotten Eggplant
Remixers: OA, SBeast, Garpocalypse, Jorito, Supercoomike, zykO, Bluelighter, Ganae, fxsnowy, Silent Ice, Deedubs, pu_freak, Tuberz McGee, GlacialSpoon, Sam Dillard, Furilas, Shredd, Lauren the Flute, Sentient Pulse, Kaiyoti, Kylok, Scott Buckley, TSori, RebeccaETripp, Ophanin, Guifrog, PrototypeRaptor, Juke, Chadlee, Glejs, Jason Covenant and djpretzel.
Performers: Skrypnyk (Available to collaborate with drum work/soundscapes), Aster (Available to collaborate with  guitar, steel acoustic or electric bass)

ALL REMIXERS: We need your consent to use the tracks in the album, now that we are an official OCRemix album! For any who haven't done so and have submitted a finished WAV, please click the link and select this project and fill out the info ASAP. Thank you!

Project Concept
A criminally underrated game that had a host of great music that tantalized the ears as you played. Even if the encounter rate was so high in areas, it didn't matter, the music was great to listen to time and again. This game influenced a lot of my young teenage years growing up and I have fond memories of it. Sure it was cliche and used every trope in the book, but it was the delivery that counted and it nailed that in spades. My goal with this project is to get the beautiful music of Yutaka Minobe and Tatsuyuki Maeda out there to the masses and get more attention on a hidden gem of a game. Hopefully, by the end of it, we'll have a professional-sounding, multi disc album.
UPDATE 10/26/2015: Due to the enormous amount of tracks, I've consolidated a bunch together with similar themes and removed a bunch that aren't 'essential' to the overall OST. By that I mean, I'm gunning for highlights so that the track list isn't so large. If we get enough interest and remixer support, we might add some tracks back in, but for now what is below will be the total track list.
UPDATE 10/31/2015: I added technically 4 new tracks to the album but removed 2. I figured 'Emotional' wasn't as strong as a theme by itself since it was basically covered in other tracks. So I removed it and put Theme of Loneliness in its place since it is a far more unique and endearing track. I also removed The Last Time because it ultimately didn't stand out in any way compared to the tracks around it. Furthermore, upon second listening of the OST, I had to add back in Armada and Armada Battle (combo track now) and Military Facility Dungeon as well as the often missed Dark Rift Theme. That puts us up to 35 tracks. Still a far cry from 67 total for the entire OST. So we're still getting a good chunk of the overall sound of the OST with these 'highlights.'
UPDATE 1/8/2016: It looks like a lot of progress has been made. We got a ton of new remixers on board as well as our first collab mix! We still have 9 more core track list songs to be claimed and the first batch of WIPs should be finished up by the end of this month, leaving the majority of remixers who signed on to be working on their more finalized, fully arranged versions to be turned in later this year. Furthermore, we got two songs from Bluelighter AND Deedubs that have gone up for critical eval and might be our first finished tracks of the album...not even four months into the project! This is great news and progress! Let's keep this pace up and we may just yet see a fully realized album by 2017! :D
UPDATE 3/15/2016: A good chunk of first WIPs have arrived and still awaiting on the final few that have signed on. Kingdom of Nasrad has reopened up for grabs and Town of Ice was replaced with Remote Town due to it being a stronger theme. The strong hard date for ALL signed on as of this update for their final or near final WIPs of their tracks is June 1st. From there, it'll be delivered to the volunteer judges from OCR for feedback. After changes are made from that, we can consider tracks down as soon as July or earlier! We also got 7 tracks left to claim! We're almost there! ^_^ 
UPDATE 5/18/2016: We are a bit over a week out from June 1st deadline but we got 3 more tracks left to claim and a bunch more expected to be turned in for near finished pieces on June 1st! Already we're getting some early birds from Jorito, Deedubs (again!), GlacialSpoon and others! Keep them coming, this album is shaping up to be fantastic!
UPDATE 8/15/2016: People are dropping out like flies but we're still trucking and trying to find new talent as well as reattempting seasoned talent in filling up those last few tracks. All remixers still on board the project, expect a PM from me shortly regarding your status. Thank you.
UPDATE 12/21/2016: Now that we're 12 tracks away from fully claimed completion and a bunch more coming in from the existing claims, we are now switching to a different method of deadline checkups. Especially now that we WANT to make a hard date album release of Dec 26, 2017, which would mark the 15th anniversary of the Legends edition of Skies of Arcadia. All remixers will be checked up at the top of every month (the 1st) until WIP completion. The closer we are to a finished track and during the time of the faux judges panel polish critiques, I'll start upping that checkup to the top and the bottom of every month until track completion. The end goal is in sight everyone! We 'could' get this album out this year if we push! We just need 12 more claims!
UPDATE 2/7/2017: As of this date, "Arcadia Legends" is now an official OCRemix project album! Huzzah! This also means that I'll be message each of you who have submitted finalized tracks to sign a OCR form to grant approval for OCR to feature your remix tracks on this album. Furthermore, I'll be pruning inactive remixers over the next month so we can open up tracks to those who may be interested in them. We need open communication. If you are still in it, please let us know. Silence doesn't relay the right message. :) Looking forward to another awesome round of finalized WIPs real soon!
UPDATE 9/8/2017: We're slowing getting the remainder of the tracks already claimed turned in bit by bit. However we still have 8 outstanding tracks that need claiming! We need to get some remixers on these so we can fully complete that last, third CD of the album and make this a fully 3-part album with enough material to fill out a bonus, fourth disc as well! We're so close to realizing this! If anyone knows of anyone who would be interested or at least collabing with you on a track, don't hesistate to bring them on board and let me know which of the unclaimed tracks you want! The ending goal is finally in sight!
UPDATE 12/23/2017: 3 More tracks left to claim, 4 if you count Tsori's track whom he needs help! He needs a collaborator to help him finish up his piece. We are one away from a full 2 discs worth of music and about 3 more tracks are almost ready to turn in and we can make some leeway into the third and final disc real soon here! 2018 looks hopeful for a full album release!
UPDATE 3/1/2018: We have just finalized our first three mastered tracks as 'final approved' for the album! There is a lot of green in that track listing and we're just looking for 3 more unclaimed tracks to be filled! Please, come one and all to help finish up this album! The finish line is in sight!
UPDATE 4/19/2018: We have 9 final mastered tracks and we are plowing ahead on all tracks to get them all mastered swiftly. So if you see your track is not bolded green yet, please give us your stems! We could definitely need them to help with the mastering to better realize your vision. 
UPDATE 8/11/2018: We have four tracks left to be finished and turned in. That's right...four more out of 36 total! We will be making trying to make an ontime release of this year, Winter. So we will be making great strides in accomplishing that goal and would request all remaining remixers turn in their finished tracks by end of August. We can stretch it to middle of September, but that's pushing it hard for the remainder of what we have to do to get this album out the door this year in time for the game's 15th anniversary! Almost to the finish line!
UPDATE 10/1/2018: We now have all tracks finalized and turned in! We now have a full 36 track, 3 disc album! Now all that's left is to get admin stuff squared away, website design work, trailer work and mastering! Wish us luck for a December release! It won't be long now!
UPDATE 12/11/2018: The album is approved and we have our release imminent trailer launched! We still have the website to finalize and remix flood tracks to vet, but we're basically on the home stretch. It's been a crazy 3+ years, but I'm glad we're finally at the finish line!

The Album trailer!

Link to OST on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB11C1C2E5A946D12

Dark Rift Theme (Didn't appear on OST):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2D5tafRqCY

What We Need
(ripped [sadly] from OOT album thread since I couldn't have explained these positions any better.)

• Arrangers/Remixers to conceptualize and complete remixes. This is where the bulk of the work will be!
  • Performers who are experienced with any type of instrument and have a high-quality recording setup. We would like to get quality live performers on remixes in any instance where a remixer's sample quality isn't up to par. (Reasoning: My goal is to apply this to be an official OCRemix album and there are standards that must be met to achieve this.)
  • Visual Artists to create accompanying pieces of art for each track or "scene" in the project.
  • Sound Designers interested in mastering and sound design for the project.
  • If you're interested in contributing to one or more of the above areas, please get in touch with me.

Auditioning / Claiming
All remixers wishing to claim a track should PM me about any they are interested in and we'll go from there via email. Once a track is claimed, a deadline will be set that is reasonable. Right now, due to everyone's busy schedules, I figure 3-4 months would be reasonable for any sort of WIP to show. If nothing is heard from you after 3 months (check in at least once every month to at least let me know your track is alive and kickin'!), the track will become unclaimed yet again.

Genre Guidelines
There is no basic genre one should adhere to when remixing tracks for the album but rather focus on a genre that would bring out the best in the track chosen. That gives remixers a lot of leeway in remixing a song the way they want with final product approved by me. Vocals in songs are also okay if implemented well. Mixing of other themes from the track list is fine as long as it flows well with the core theme and does not overshadow the main melody. Furthermore, if remixers would like to 'team up' and make a joint effort on a track, that's always welcome. If you got a specific idea for a track, by all means run it by me, I'm pretty open.

Deadlines
Deadlines will be handled on a case-by-case basis and based on the preference of the remixer, we're not trying to rush things here. Try to maintain contact with the project director, especially if you think a real life event will prevent you from delivering a track.

Core Track List - (Final Order will be determined towards end of project)
Red - Unclaimed Track - 0
Yellow - Claimed Track, no WIP yet - 0
Purple - Initial WIP submitted - 0
Blue - Significant WIP submitted - 0
Green - Finished Track submitted - 0
Bold Green - Finished and Mastered Track - 36

Disc 1 - Defend the Home Isle

01 - Main Theme (Title Screen) - Claimed by pu_freak - Genre: Orchestral/Piano - 'The Voyage Begins'
02 - Vyse's Theme - Claimed by SBeast - Genre: Metal - 'Legend in the Making'
03 - Blue Pirate's Theme/Ship (combo track) - Clamed by OA - Genre: Rock/Dance - 'Blue Skies, Pirate Surprise'

04 - Air Pirate Island - Claimed by Ganae - Genre: Orchestral - 'Rogue Sanctuary'
05 - Air Pirate Secret Base - Claimed by Silent Ice - Genre: Dubstep Reggae - 'Secret Bass'
06 - Dungeon Cave - Claimed by Orphanin - Genre: Orchestral - 'Into the Deep Dark'

07 - Battle 1/Battle 2 (combo track) - Claimed by fxsnowy - Genre: Dubstep - 'Arcadian Assault'
08 - Victory in Battle / Bombardment Victory (combo track) - Claimed by GlacialSpoon - Genre: Techno - 'Victory! Glory! Profit?'

09 - Sailor Town - Claimed by Bluelighter - Genre: Marching Band - 'A Sailor's Respite.'
10 - Fina's Theme - Claimed by Deedubs - Smooth Jazz - 'The Silver Crystal'

11 - Drachma's Theme - Claimed by Tsori-Deedubs - Genre: K-Indie Folk - 'Better Days'
12 - Little Jack - Claimed by Chadlee/Rotten Eggplant/John Stacy - Genre: Jazz - 'On Wings of Feathers'
Estimated Run time: 43 mins

Disc 2 - To the Horizon

01 - Kingdom of Nasrad - Claimed by shredd - Genre: Metal - 'Blasting the Sand Demon'
02 - Bombardment 1 / Bombardment 2 (combo track) - Claimed by Deedubs - Genre: Trance - 'From the Perilous Skies to Your Heart'
03 - Entique's Theme - Claimed by Deedubs - Genre: Waltz - 'Valse pour un Prince Rebelle'
04 - Kingdom of Ixa'taki - Claimed by Garpocalypse - Genre: Folk - 'Valhorteka'
05 - Theme of Reflection - Claimed by Yoshiblade - Genre: Trance/Dance - 'Inner Reflections'
06 - Remote Town - Claimed by RebeccaETripp - Genre: Celtic - 'Rusted Hopes'

07 - Dark Rift Theme - Claimed by ZykO - Genre: Creepy Ambient - 'The Darkness is Already Here'
08 - Yafutoma Dawn / Eastern Air Pirates (combo track) - Claimed by Jorito/Aster/Furilas/Lauren the Flute - Genre: Spaghetti Wester - 'Il buono, il brutto e il pirata dell'aria'
09 - Theme of Loneliness - Claimed by Sentient Pulse - Genre: Chill EDM - 'Shrouded Void'
10 - Valua City - Claimed by Kylok - Genre: Folk Rock - 'Undervalued'
11 - Gilder's Theme - Claimed by Jason Covenant - Genre: Experimental - 'Coding Angel'

12 - Delphinus - Claimed by Jorito + Others - Genre: Orchestal - 'To the Horizon'
Estimated Run time: 64 mins

Disc 3 - I Am Legend

01 - Military Facility Dungeon - Claimed by djpretzel - Genre: Funk Rock - 'The MFD'
02 - Ramirez's Theme - Claimed by Guifrog - Genre: Orchestral Dubstep - 'Brain Sound Tilt'
03 - Gigas Theme - Claimed by PrototypeRaptor - Genre: Electronic - 'Black Moon'
04 - Nervous Crisis 1/ Nervous Crisis 2 (combo track) - Claimed by GlacialSpoon - Genre: Dubstep - 'Nervousness is Just Bravery Disguised'

05 - Boss Battle - Claimed by Tuberz McGee - Genre: Progressive Metal - 'Life in a Vyse'
06 - Great Silver Temple - Claimed by Sam Dillard - Genre: Orchestral - 'Shining Silver'
07 - Armada/Armada Battle (combo track) - Claimed by Deedubs - Genre: Orchestal/Electronica - 'God's Ambition'
08 - Last Dungeon - Claimed by Supercookmile/Deedubs - Genre: Synthezied Loneliness - 'In Solitude, I Scream'
09 - Zealous - Claimed by Glejs - Genre: Electronica Trance - 'Unknown Menace'
10 - Last Battle - Claimed by Deedubs/Sixto Sounds - Genre: Orchestral Metal - 'Silver Nightmare'

11 - Legendary Sinking Continent - Claimed by Scott Buckley - Genre: Orchestral - 'The End of a Dream'
12 - Credits - Claimed by Juke - Genre: Orchestral - 'Hearth and Home'
Estimated Run time: 58 mins

Total Run time: 165 mins - or - 2 hours and 45 mins

Tracks unsure if adding onto album - (If anyone is interested in these other melodies and can provide a moderately finished WIP with intent to finish, I might consider adding these back in. For now, these will be left off the album. Another thought is possibly adding these melodies in as additional themes in a core theme in the track list above. Furthermore, I've put '***' next to ones I'd love to see on a potential fourth disc if possible AND if none of the core tracks above appeal to you, you could choose to pick out these ones as additions to the main track list. I'd find a place for them!)
A - Theme of Reflection
B - Galcian's Theme ***
C - Dungeon of Searing Heat ***
D - Ruins Dungeon ***
E - Dungeon Cave
F - Imperial Theme
G - Let's Go!
H - Black Pirate's Theme
I - Ancient Temple Dungeon ***
J - Legend
K - Sudden Storm
L - Uninhabited Island
M - Tension
N - Emotional
O - Headquarters ***
P - Everyday Life
Q - Tradegy ***
R - Gag
S - Ice Dungeon ***
T - Dimming Lights
U - Town of Ice
V - Hatred ***
W - Rejoice ***
X - Clara's Theme
Y - De Loco's Theme
Z - Blue Moon Crystal

Note: Any unused or dropped tracks/WIPs from remixers may be used/featured on an additional bonus disc released alongside the primary three official discs of this album once finished.

Oh sweet moons yes. I just recently finished Skies (legends) on the 'cube again. I freakin' love this game and it's music. I really wish I had any sort of musical talent. Can I ask if you would consider listing the Dark Rift theme into the soundtrack? Its not on the official OST but it is a haunting and unsettling piece. I spent hours grinding there for items and levels so this song always comes to my mind when thinking of this game.

EDIT: Adding link for the theme

Wow, didn't know about that other one. Its a shame it died. Probably another reason why this one exists! This album needs to get to the ears of listeners! As for your track Sbeast, I'd love to hear a WIP of it. I'll PM you my email and we can go from there. As for this album going inactive, I will try not to let it happen as long as there is interest! (Just hope in doesn't turn into a long multi-year slog like that SD3 album. Been waiting for that one for years!) For now, I'll put you on vyse's theme as 'temp claimed' until something more substantial as a WIP is produced.

EDIT: We now have Garpocalypse, SBeast, OA and tentatively Asterin (who is interested in the Main theme) so far! A newcomer, John Stacy is currently listening to the OST and considering which track to pick. So once that's done, we'll be up to five remixers, five claimed songs!

You managed to message both my OCR account and my YouTube account 'darkozl' about this!

So, the thing about Skies of Arcadia is that's my favorite game. Of all time.

I'm interested in doing some visual work.. animation and trailer design for the project. Jose the Bronx usually handles that stuff, but I'd really love an exception to do it just this once. My job in real life is motion design so I'll send you some samples.

I'm interested in doing a track as well, but I'll need in-depth help from a producer. The SoA OST lends itself to Drum and Bass and Trap (those breakbeat drum rhythms in several battle themes) I'd love to do that kind of mix.

Darkflamewolf, I'm interested in learning more about you, your background and bio and stuff. For anyone not very familiar with you around the forums, I'm sure they'd like to know more about our Project Director.

P.S. Battle 1/2 and Last Battle are hugely loved tracks. Really looking forward to those remixes. Valua City is another personal favorite.

Honestly, I didn't darkozl and Modus were one and the same person! lol

As for visual art/trailer work, you are most welcome in doing whatever you feel comfortable with for the project. Granted, I'd prefer us to be further along with the overall album before we start dedicating time to this portion but if you feel you can do both now, then I won't stop you. :)

As for doing tracks, I'm sure we could find someone to help you with that producer bit before its all over and your style would be perfect for a track or two on the album. The only snare for those types of remixes is that they can get repetative if the remixer doesn't switch it up over the course of the song. If this takes off nicely, I plan on petitioning this to be an official OCRemix album. But that's getting ahead of ourselves. :)

Now if you are interested in claiming a track, feel free to either post it here or PM me regarding that and you can place a temp claim on a track until a WIP can be produced. And I agree, Battle 1/2 are great tracks and I think combining them into one track might lend itself  to a diverse song that takes best elements of both - almost like a music compo that Darkesword usually does, mixing two themes together! lol

As for me, the project director, I'm not musically talented but I know what I like and I've handled big projects before but not of this specific type. The projects I've handled are video game/modding projects. For a quick rundown of what I've been involved in and what I am still working on:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/DarkFlameWolf

(if the link doesn't work, just look up darkflamewolf at tvtropes.org, I'm there)

That details most of my accomplishments. So I'm pretty good at seeing projects through, especially if I get the help needed. (for example, trying to do a computer based CCG card game and a MM-like clone with RPG elements but looking for programmers, but that's neither here nor there.) Most notable projects I've released is of course Megaman: Revenge of the Fallen, Desent Vignettes (for Descent 1), Lost Isle & Origin for Zelda Classic and written some popular fanfics on the side. I like to diversify my portfolio a lot, keeps me active and skilled in a lot of areas. (just not programming, I suck at that) If you got any more questions about me, feel free to ask. I'm pretty darn open. Thanks for the question Modus!

Rereads: http://ocremix.org/community/topic/3370-rules-for-posting-in-projects/

Hmm....because its not exactly clear in these rules that that was a restriction? It might be inbetween the lines but at first glance that isn't obvious. I read those rules as an encouragement to anyone to start up a project if they so chose and if any manage to stick will ultimately (and hopefully) become an official album. My apologies if this was done in error, but I'd rather not have the thread deleted but rather moved if that is what is best.

Either way, it seems the popular tracks are being claimed up fast. Little Jack and Valua City are being temp claimed by fresh newcomer: John Stacy! I've added his stuff up there.

On another note, I'm also adding the genre/style of music that the remixer would be most likely rendering the mix in. For example, John Stacy will be doing his two songs orchestrally. So if you want to sign up and take a track, do also include what style you'd be doing it in so we don't get too much of one type and the majority of the album starts sounding similar. lol

Looking forward to more! :)

Sweet! An album for a game I actually played ;) Got some good nostalgic feelings for this game! I'm a bit short on time at the moment but will probably be able to jump in later. So if I'm allowed to make a temp claim: Yafutoma Dawn / Eastern Air Pirates (combo track) in spaghetti western (Ennio Morricone) style. Not sure what that will turn out like, but should be interesting!

Oh sweet moons yes. I just recently finished Skies (legends) on the 'cube again. I freakin' love this game and it's music. I really wish I had any sort of musical talent. Can I ask if you would consider listing the Dark Rift theme into the soundtrack? Its not on the official OST but it is a haunting and unsettling piece. I spent hours grinding there for items and levels so this song always comes to my mind when thinking of this game.

EDIT: Adding link for the theme

Well, you got what you wanted. ZykO has replied back and extremely interested in this theme. Judging on his past works and what he;s done, I think all of us are in for a treat! :D

For those remixers who PM'd me on the fence about contributing a track or two, just a heads up that I'll be on TDY for work from the 10th through the 22nd of Nov. I may not be able to reply or update this thread with further claimed tracks until after my TDY due to a potentially iffy internet situation. Once I get back, I will look through my PMs from order of first received and I will give tracks to claim to those who came first during this time period. So if you are seriously interested in a track but unsure right now, lay claim to it if you have intent to make something of it. Not trying to rush anyone, just informing of a real life situation that'll affect my availability and updating claimed tracks during that time period. I'll make an update post here when I get back on the 22nd!

-DFW

For those remixers who PM'd me on the fence about contributing a track or two, just a heads up that I'll be on TDY for work from the 10th through the 22nd of Nov. I may not be able to reply or update this thread with further claimed tracks until after my TDY due to a potentially iffy internet situation. Once I get back, I will look through my PMs from order of first received and I will give tracks to claim to those who came first during this time period. So if you are seriously interested in a track but unsure right now, lay claim to it if you have intent to make something of it. Not trying to rush anyone, just informing of a real life situation that'll affect my availability and updating claimed tracks during that time period. I'll make an update post here when I get back on the 22nd!

-DFW

Just putting my bit in here, would you be interested in using my services as an artist? I'm currently wrapping up the artwork for the Satoru Iwata tribute album, and though I don't want to corner the market as it were, I'd be more than interested in helping out visually with Skies. How could I not, with such an iconic game? You can take a look at some of my artwork on my online portfolio (though bear in mind, a lot of the site is still under construction):
http://​www.davyowen.com/illustration

Cheers

Odai

Of course you can sign on as an artist! We have Modus who wants to be project artist director and that's fine by me but we can also accept art submissions to go alongside the album as well. I'm also developing materials for a hard copy version of the album after its been accepted so any additional art to line the interior booklet with would be wonderful. BTW, checked out your art and it is amazing. If you want to be onboard, considering yourself signed on!

• Liontamer changed the title to Arcadia Legends - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic