MEETUP: New York City, NY Meetup '06 - Pics on Pages 30 And 32-34!

Bahamut

pwned. :oops:

Ah well. My boss won't let me off easy either day anyway, though for some unknown reason we're closed on Tuesday the 26th.

Have fun all, and maybe next year... :(

Sorry, q-pa. Well, it looks like it wasn't in the cards anyway if you can't take off.

@Bahamut:

Sorry to hear that your friend is not a girl. Oh well. I guess I can have fun with these other ocremix bums... which I mean in the utmost respectful way. Seems like mecca also wants you to get your camera pretty soon. Do you have enough money for it yet after buying the Wii? :wink:

@Nicole Adams:

Then come! What's a little bit of cash between friends you've made... over... the... internet..?

Uhh, what? pixie has her own digital camera & camcorder - she used it in making the movie for last years meetup.

But I wanted to play around with a new shiny one! :( Anyway, yeah. It's all good. I guess I can use my camera as well... *sigh* but it's kind of old and scratched up from other trips I've used it on. I guess it'll have to do.

A camcorder you say? I am quite experienced at this filming business. Perhaps I can have some fun with it..? I like playing with stuff... :(

Gotcha, I'll do my best to be there. Yeeeeaaaah, gonna be fun.

I'll drive down to the city, maybe I'll bring a few people too.

Cool. A few people? Hmm... big meetup then. It's all good. Don't worry. We remixers will be the cool elite. :roll: I wish I knew more about music to actually remix.

So Bahamut, what are we doing?

We do whatever people want to do of course. I put up a list of suggestions on the first page. I'd also suggest some other things like seeing a musical at night or something like that, but it's probably out of most people's price range & possibly time range.

A musical is kind of costly, especially around this time unless you somehow get an afternoon matinee or something like that and order the tickets ahead of time because of our large group size. I will say that the baseline for tickets are around the 60 dollars.. but you could go watch... Rent or something for 20 dollars. (Personally, I think that'd be a waste of 20 dollars.) I would think that Avenue Q, Spam-a-lot or even Wicked would be a good choice. So meet up people, please voice your opinions! Lest I begin singing scores of musicals at you when we see each other.

As for pixie's concern over a homebase. I think this is something we should consider. The cold, hard, furniture of the city is not a good place to sit down. We need to find several places where we can lounge with no problem. In my experience, the furniture/home living section of Macy's is do-able. I can't really think of anywhere else except for a large library or something, but I do not know where one is that we can easily go into unless it's the New York Public Library and I don't really know how that works. University libraries require IDs and such. (Do I have a friend who lives in Manhattan? Actually I have several, but most are girls who will not allow me to borrow their place.)

Okay.

I think what we've got so far is nearly enough for a day. Here's one plan I came up with:

So we start at Grand Central... we then grab lunch (I'll have a place for us soon).

We then transit for Rockefeller and check out Nintendo World, walk over to

Sam Ash and Manny's (which, incidentally, was only a couple blocks from the sbarro we went to),

and, if we're hitting a museum, try out MoMA in the area.

Transit down to Chinatown for the Arcade; by then it should be dinnertime,

and a restaurant for us in Little Italy (I'll have that for us too).

Any Barnes & Noble bookstore - especially if they're anything like the spot on 66th

(with a cafe on the top floor) - should give us a spot anytime we need a respite.

Now we gotta finetune the overnight plans.

Hm, that sounds like a very good plan! For the museum part, there are quite a few museums around uptown there, such as the huge Metropolitan Museum of Art, and further north the famous Googenheim Museum ~80th st.

As for the Barnes & Noble comment though - I highly doubt we'd be able to find a good spot in any though. Every B&N has a Starbucks, and every Starbucks I have seen in Manhattan is always PACKED!

First paging this post though.

Jose - looks good to me! I'm down for that as our gameplan.

For overnight stuff, people are welcome to spend a night over at scenic Zircon Studios (well... former Zircon Studios) - aka, my parents' house in Pleasantville. It's got a luxurious basement replete with a foldout couch. We can probably find some sleeping bags, too. Getting there isn't terribly hard; trains run from Grand Central to P'ville on the Harlem Line to Southeast until nearly 2am. The trip itself is about 45 minutes. Tickets cost about $7.40 one way, but hey, $14.80 round trip isn't much compared to a night at a hotel in the area. There are plenty of places to eat in Pleasantville for breakfast/lunch too, such as a 24/7 diner, a French bakery/pastry place, a cheap but incredibly good Chinese place, several authentic NY-style pizza joints, and so on and so forth.

So... yeah, it'll be fun, if anyone wants to come :) At the very least, pixietricks, myself, and Taucer will be there afterwards.

B&Ns are good for resting because they allow us to sit around for a while if we need -

they have scattered chairs, but we can gather on their carpeted floors, even thumb

through their books - Starbuck's not necessary. There's also a book full of videogame

art I intend to buy and show everyone who hasn't seen it.

Zirc Studios sounds great for overnight.

I'm a complete fiend for a good breakfast,

so if there's a spot, I'm there.

MoMA? Hmm... rather not. It's good depending on what exhibits are showing, but not always great. Though, it should be noted that they only recently opened up an entire wing. I sometimes think that The Guggenheim lacks substance because there are relatively few works on display. The Met is pretty cool because it's huge and should have something for everyone. Even the permanent collection is huge as well as the passing exhibits.

MoMA = $20 per person (free if under 16)

Guggenheim = $18 per person (free if under 12)

Met = suggested donation! (6-10 dollars, I'd suggest.)

The museums, I find, are always out of the way. From the Rockefeller area, I would think it would take us about 25-35 minutes to get to a museum unless it's MoMA. About transportation, we'd most likely use it 3 times, but an all day pass would be some nice insurance for only a dollar. We'd most likely have to decide if we're going to a museum that first because it will change a bunch of things.

Though I do like museums, I personally think that scheduling a visit in would actually put us too much on a time constraint at each place we go. Spending quality time eating lunch, at Nintendo World (video games + Wii), at Sam Ash and/or Manny's as well (mini jam session?), and including walking time... I think it'd be tough to fit in a visit to the museum, besides, they usually do close around 5 on the weekdays (with the exception of Friday which is considered a date night). But, I think we can go if a majority of the definites want to. 8O

No age limitation as Bahamut said. He also said he'd bring his Wii over, so you'd have to smooth over the details with him and zircon. (Need to know # of available TV's and total # of controllers.)

As for cash, bring a bunch. It really depends on how long you're going to be there and what we do. Let's say that you're going to be participating in EVERYTHING. I will approximate some costs for you. 7 dollars for non-dinner meals and 15 dollars for dinner. As for transporation, you'll need 7 dollars for an all day pass and about 15 dollars if you're staying over at zircon's.

You might want to stash like 5 dollars for Chinatown Fair or even less because the games are fairly cheap there. (Capcom vs. SNK 2, SF3:Third Strike, MvC2 or newer games in general are all 50 cents per play. Older games like SF2T, Gigawing, SF3:Double Impact, and even Ms. Pacman are 25 cents. The most expensive games there are the rhythm ones which are 1 or 2 dollars per play.)

If we are going to a museum, I did post the rates before. The maximum price goes up to 20 dollars, which is kind of pricey. But we haven't really decided on anything just yet. However, I don't think we'd have time for it so it's not my calculations.

I know that 7 dollars per non-dinnner meal might sound expensive, especially if you're going to get a small meal which could be like 5 dollars (or even less if you're just going to grab a bagel in Manhattan.) But I don't exactly know what the prices are where zircon lives. But don't forget about tax and tip as well. It's always best to have a little more cash than too little. (Also remember to account for whatever transportation costs it takes you to get into NYC as well.) The total sounds like a lot, but it's an overestimation so you can safely participate in everything without any trouble.

Food: (7+15+7)+??

Transport: (7+15)

Fun: (5)+??

Minimum cash to have on hand at meetup: $56

Being able to hit on Pixietricks in real life: priceless

8)