OCR00191 - Xenogears "Broken Mirror Reflection"

m68030

Mr. Prievert is shaping up to be one of my favorite ReMixers on this site, and this piece is one of the reasons, if not the reason, why. I've never heard the original song, but somehow I think listening to it after having heard this piece would be almost a disappointment, as I feel he captures the essence of it so well. This is one ReMix that won't be leaving my playlist for a long, long time.

Actually, it'll probably be there for the rest of eternity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm glad this track made it through the lockdowns despite the heavy sampling of the original. The gating effect really makes it sonically unique and interesting, and there is a ton of expansion of the theme on it's own. The gating makes the tempo change possible too, without ruining the original waveform. Great source and a nice mix of it. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00191 - Xenogears "Broken Mirror Reflection"
  • 1 month later...

Wow, you know, I've heard this source before in other media, but I hadn't realized it was from Xenogears until now. Cool effects with the synthlines and the gating. All the distortion and effects on the vocals was an interesting experience to hear, and while there were points where I thought it could have been clearer or didn't sit right with me, overall I enjoyed the experimentation and variation in it. Not bad at all.

• 3 years later...

This is an atrocity.  The original is such a beautiful song, and it has an outstanding vocal.  But this remix runs that voice through a horrendous chopping filter.

Look, there are ways to add a "glitching" effect that sound really cool, fun, and interesting.  But you can't just run some glitching filter on it and call it a day.  And the more "glitching" one adds, the more careful one must be with it.  But this is half the song made to sound like something is wrong with your internet connection, completely destroying a beautiful original piece.

• 4 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 4:08 AM, Marscaleb said:

This is an atrocity.  The original is such a beautiful song, and it has an outstanding vocal.  But this remix runs that voice through a horrendous chopping filter.

Look, there are ways to add a "glitching" effect that sound really cool, fun, and interesting.  But you can't just run some glitching filter on it and call it a day.  And the more "glitching" one adds, the more careful one must be with it.  But this is half the song made to sound like something is wrong with your internet connection, completely destroying a beautiful original piece.

back when I made this there weren't any fancy glitch plugins or glitch fx hardware available, but I agree, this remix hasn't aged well :) (oh, and it's not a "glitch" but a gating-effect to gloss over the fact that the vocals and the remix don't run in sync)

20 hours ago, Prievert said:

back when I made this there weren't any fancy glitch plugins or glitch fx hardware available, but I agree, this remix hasn't aged well :) (oh, and it's not a "glitch" but a gating-effect to gloss over the fact that the vocals and the remix don't run in sync)

I still enjoy this one