Bundeslang

PRC411 - Hardcore is Just A Style (Vatlva)

Recommended Posts

The People's Remix Competition 411
PRCv17-09


Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

TheVideoGamer again was the winner by default, so he got another win for free in PRC409 (it won't happen in PRC410). The source is picked.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:47 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Let's try for something different. For this one, i'm going to not only send you a MIDI, but also most of the samples featured (It's mostly a sampled based composition)

The game name is called Vatlva and the track name is called Happy Hardcore (It's actually listed as BGM13 because there isn't a title, but it's unofficially named Happy Hardcore, because of the style of music it's playing) I picked this, because i wanted to see how people would fare in sample arranging, but also honestly, this source is heavily underrated. Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima are just...well gods. 

What i'm going to send you, is a ZIP file of majority of the samples featured (Not all, because i couldn't find them all, and also because you might end up using some of your own). I will also send the full MIDI, including the Piano Line, Synths and Drum lines, as well as the original source link. (The samples are unedited, but i assume you have the creativity to do something with them. The only sample that's different is the let's go. I can't seem to find the original source of that. Oh well, good enough right?)

Good Luck, this one should be interesting!

My own custom MIDI:

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/87931f5615d5770bad38a6e2901af9a1.html#disqus_thread

And the samples, which is listed as an attachment. No doubt Bundeslang will have a place to store them.  

Vatlva Samples.zip 3.4 MB · 2 downloads

 

Source: Vatlva (SEGA) - Background Music 13 (Happy Hardcore)

MIDI File

Samples ZIP

 

Source Information

 

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

 

The deadline is Monday July 20th 2020 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. Note that this is a Monday, not the regular Wednesday.

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC413, the rounds after next round.

The winner of PRC409, TheVideoGamer, who picked this source, can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix. His vote is doubled in the voting stage. 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

 

GOOD LUCK!

 

PRC Home Page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must have been a popular library at the time, cause some of these vocal clips were also used in Rage Racer and Einhander.

Phenomenal track, but much like the RR Revolution source, way above my pay-grade. Luv the idea of the sample pack tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dj Mokram said:

Must have been a popular library at the time, cause some of these vocal clips were also used in Rage Racer and Einhander.

Phenomenal track, but much like the RR Revolution source, way above my pay-grade. Luv the idea of the sample pack tho.

Yeah they were very 90's sounding. I think that's what makes them special. I picked this, really for the samples. For this one, to even qualify as a remix, you don't even need to use the MIDI. I'd thought we'd get a bit creative with a sample type composition. 

Hell you could even make it more...melodic, and less 90's like. It's just a unique idea for this round, (Especially since i have a bad habit of just going with a Sega Genesis game. Can't argue with that though, the Sega Genesis was a superbly nostalgic and awesome sounding FM synth). Anyways lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap this genre.  I'll see if I can do something, probably a spoof since there is vocal samples already.  Edit) Also this is cool that you provided the samples.  This should be fun.  

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Holy crap this genre.  I'll see if I can do something, probably a spoof since there is vocal samples already.  Edit) Also this is cool that you provided the samples.  This should be fun.  

It's practically nothing but samples, so it'a good for a little bit of light-hearted fun.

I'm in the process of making a bonus as we speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, Dj Mokram said:

Must have been a popular library at the time, cause some of these vocal clips were also used in Rage Racer and Einhander.

Phenomenal track, but much like the RR Revolution source, way above my pay-grade. Luv the idea of the sample pack tho.

Sure you aren't being a bit hard on yourself?  I think your sound is pretty decent.  I especially like your SH3 and Metal Gear Solid remixes.  Reminds me I need to go through more of your soundcloud, some really good stuff.  I guess Hardcore isn't quite your thing, as I see a lot of chillstep and organic stuff, but I think you can pull it off.  New sexperiences!  BTW, you have played with vocal samples a lot so :D 

(pardon edits)

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Sure you aren't being a bit hard on yourself?  I think your sound is pretty decent. [...] BTW, you have played with vocal samples a lot so :D

It's less to do with self-esteem and more to do with limitations. Tracks with busy soundscapes are taxing to arrange cause I have near constant tinnitus. And since I need to listen to a song many times just to reconstruct the stereo image in my mind (can only hear in mono), things quickly get overwhelming and time consuming. I do love using voice/sfx in remixes tho. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dj Mokram said:

It's less to do with self-esteem and more to do with limitations. Tracks with busy soundscapes are taxing to arrange cause I have near constant tinnitus. And since I need to listen to a song many times just to reconstruct the stereo image in my mind (can only hear in mono), things quickly get overwhelming and time consuming. I do love using voice/sfx in remixes tho. ;)

Ah sorry.  That's strike 2 against me for pushiness.  Lmfao.  Sorry dood.  I forgot about the Tinnitus on top of it.  MB.  Take care man.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 7:49 AM, HoboKa said:

Ah sorry.  That's strike 2 against me for pushiness.  Lmfao.  Sorry dood.  I forgot about the Tinnitus on top of it.  MB.  Take care man.  

Don't worry about it, no offense taken or anything. It's all good man. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pingas submitted.  In all the wrong places.  Just the way I like it.  Jammin!!

(E) Working on an edit.  Less ADHD.  More pumping.  And airing it out.  Ahhh...

WOW...I assumed this was a Sonic thing for some weird ass reason.  Probably because Sega.  This is refreshing hahahaha.  Stay in school kids.  Don't do drugs.  Actually...do plenty for POTUS 2020-2024. 

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized that there's a potential for misunderstanding in my description of my submission. When I said that "I made something totally different from the source melody," I meant that I made a totally different kind of track using the source melody. The source melodies should be prominent and recognizable in my track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

I just realized that there's a potential for misunderstanding in my description of my submission. When I said that "I made something totally different from the source melody," I meant that I made a totally different kind of track using the source melody. The source melodies should be prominent and recognizable in my track.

That's what I did understand, but yeah, I do get the misunderstanding here. ^^


Voted ! Nice round, everyone !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((...pardon the edits..))

Nice perfect round!!  Gonna go vote now.  We may keep PRC alive. 

By the by, maybe I should set up a poll about how to change up MnP and/or perhaps put it on haitus so the compo scene can stay alive a while longer.  Reason I'm suggesting this is if MnP is hurting the scene by dividing and perhaps overwhelming potential contestants, then I don't mind bowing out.  Just don't want to jump the gun on this, like my usual impulsive self.

BTW Bundeslang, if this sort of participation keeps up, do you intend to keep the show going?  I don't want to shutter my doors and see PRC do the same. 

If you don't want to talk about it publicly, you we can do PM or Discord. 

Voted.

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has songs and 1 Bonus Mix by TheVideoGamer. The following people compete against each other:

HoboKa 

AxLR

Dex

 

To vote, do the following:

·       Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.

·       Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

·       Fill in the entries from first to second in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3.

·       State a reasoning for it.

·       Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, They get a 3 point bonus.

·       TheVideoGamer has a vote that counts twice.

·       Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results. Especially since some people might vote by sending me a PM.

 

You have until THIS Friday, July 24th 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

 

(reasoning)

 

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC413.

A good number of songs. The next round (412) will start in a few days.


Check the ThaSauce Page to vote or click here to send a PM.

 

34 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

((...pardon the edits..))

Nice perfect round!!  Gonna go vote now.  We may keep PRC alive. 

By the by, maybe I should set up a poll about how to change up MnP and/or perhaps put it on haitus so the compo scene can stay alive a while longer.  Reason I'm suggesting this is if MnP is hurting the scene by dividing and perhaps overwhelming potential contestants, then I don't mind bowing out.  Just don't want to jump the gun on this, like my usual impulsive self.

BTW Bundeslang, if this sort of participation keeps up, do you intend to keep the show going?  I don't want to shutter my doors and see PRC do the same. 

If you don't want to talk about it publicly, you we can do PM or Discord. 

Voted.

I think MnP must continue, it's not destroying PRC or something like that. MnP and PRC are more like brothers. PRC has a long history, but MnP is also doing well for a long time already, I don't want it to disappear.

We should consider to have different deadlines to make sure that they aren't in the same week. Putting MnP on hold doesn't lead to more PRC participants and also the other way around also not.

Currently I'm not considering to stop PRC, the last rounds did well. For now I just keep it up, at least till the end of the year. As mentioned before, if I intend to stop, I will announce it a couple of months before that really will happen. At least I need to reach the 12.5 year PRC organizer milestone (I started after season 5 so this season (17) is my twelfth). So don't worry about that.

I also want this discussion to happen in public, anyone who has ideas to improve the contests is free to share them.

DJ Mokram, your effort is really appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

 

I think MnP must continue, it's not destroying PRC or something like that. MnP and PRC are more like brothers. PRC has a long history, but MnP is also doing well for a long time already, I don't want it to disappear.

We should consider to have different deadlines to make sure that they aren't in the same week. Putting MnP on hold doesn't lead to more PRC participants and also the other way around also not.

Currently I'm not considering to stop PRC, the last rounds did well. For now I just keep it up, at least till the end of the year. As mentioned before, if I intend to stop, I will announce it a couple of months before that really will happen. At least I need to reach the 12.5 year PRC organizer milestone (I started after season 5 so this season (17) is my twelfth). So don't worry about that.

I also want this discussion to happen in public, anyone who has ideas to improve the contests is free to share them.

DJ Mokram, your effort is really appreciated.

Hey, thanks for the praise.  PRC is an older Bro to look up to! 

Good idea!  We could make things easier with a standard Schedule.  On some observations of my own habits for MnP scheduling...  I usually end the round on the 28th each month.  And I vary the voting length from 3-5 days (can make that a fixed thing, easy), so usually spanning to the 2nd or 4th of the following month for Results stage.  If you'd like me to alter that, let me know.  I'm also open to suggestions.  Sure.  Keeping it public works. 

OK.  I'll try not to panic until I see an official announcement from you.  Here's to hoping we continue to get participation. 

And thanks a million DJ Mokram.  :D 

 

Edited by HoboKa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voted! Let's hope we can keep the participation streak going.

19 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

DJ Mokram, your effort is really appreciated.

 

16 hours ago, HoboKa said:

And thanks a million DJ Mokram.  :D 

Happy to help. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.