An appreciation of OCR

linkspast

I don`t know exactly what I want to say, and none of this is planed out, but I think its wild this place is still around. For one reason or another Ill check the remixes and get a wave of "the good old days"  and not just from the music but this community, Which Ill admit, I was not super active, but from the time when I first came across it, I think maybe a  TechTv show sent me this way? Its wild people are still mixing Aquatic ambiance, and it still puts a smile on my face. 

I remember the first album I watched get released was Kong In Concert, I burned it to a disc (mp3 cd players were so cool) and would listen to it in Algebra 1, perhaps its why  took algebra one twice.  
I always wanted to be musical I would love to be able to contribute in that way. Thank you to everyone that still makes music for this community even If it gets said once or thousands of time it's very appreciated. 

Agree with all

Tangential... but reflecting on the past is also a moment to reflect on the future: It will be interesting as generative AI gets better and encroaches on music, and someone decides to feed the OCR library and their source tunes into it. "Make a breakbeat remix of StarTropics in hybrid style of Ziwtra and McVaffe, please and thank you"

I pretty much grew up in this community. OCR is my home town, just as much as Raleigh is. Almost all of my best friends are OCR people, and at least a third of the guests at my wedding were people I know through OCR. This community is where I met my people, and where I learned and grew as a musician.

all in all, hella good site. really formative. not without problems. partly, my own.

truth be told, the judging institution and the whole "aura" surrounding it was pure ego mindfuck for insecure me seeking appreciation (and being bad at admitting it, naturally).

perfect site for me would've been a strange concoction made of OCR and OLR ingredients that never quite happened...hek i could've nudged the site a little into that direction along with other folks.....woulda shouda.

here's one purely theoretical example:

as a JUJ i would've fought to the death to never remove Daknit's Simlish-mix in the purge. as awesome as his shitty Music Maker - prefab Techno piece with the Deckard Cain speech was, i probably wouldn't have fought for keeping that - it's just the verbatim speech in linear fashion, after all. the Sims mix, however - that was pure acid techno spoken word music collage. brilliant idea, should have stayed on the site just to highlight creative multiplicity and question what is music, what is sound, what is arrangement, sampling, collage, blabla.

again, tiny example, indicating larger principle - fuck that mix. it's just one. i'm talking thousands upon thousands of decisions in aggregate.

talk about me: i always dreamt of making these awesome "OLR" style, but next level remixes 10+ years ago, stuff that transcends quality standards and thus contributes to keeping stuff fresh. didn't end up doing much of that. woulda been cool.

the judge's panel in hindsight was cool in its own way... at the very least, it created a lot of "lore" as part of a legendary site.

but...as a whole, i think the mentality over the years didn't push to be PUNK enough. the site could've used more PINK and maybe PANK decisions to keep it as bustling and vibrant as it once was.

you guys MADE the site with your blood and sweat and tears and all that other stuff. you`re great. thanks. i am posting this in an appreciation thread. stupid me.

i tend to say stuff i wanna get across in this edgy fashion that maybe sucks, but when i try to soft-cushion/mediate/sandwich it, it just gets worse - 

WHAT I WANNA SAY IS, I THINK OCREMIX OR A SIMILAR SITE SHOULD STILL BE MASSIVELY HUGE BECAUSE IT IS AN AWESOME INSTITUTION FOR CREATIVE OUTLET!!!! WHY ISN'T IT?!?!?!

i genuinely mean that, i DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY IT'S NOT. "NOT PUNK ENUF" is not meant as some scathing critique...it's my tiny simplified opinion meme bit on the matter.

i think this whole scene kind of grew old but not wise enough to become the kickass underground cross-generational thingumagick that VG remixing deserves...and i think DJP in principle had the stuff to do it. enthusiastic dude. you inspired a LOT of people to start with music.

i guess my style of appreciation comes a little crooked...

this site still deserves to thrive. it sucks that it aint.

:(

but thanks for the exp!!

:)