OCR04551 - *YES* Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"

Emunator

(note: I paneled the newer, remastered version. The old version was just a hair over 2 minutes long, so I thought the short length might hurt its chances here)

-Remixer Name: B-laze (aka Fungist)
-Email address:    
-Userid:                  29885

Submission Information

-Name of game(s) arranged:

Super Mario World

-Name of arrangement

Fungist - Yoshi Dorifto

-Name of individual song(s) arranged

Athletic Theme

-Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Koji Kondo [SuperNES]

-Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

-Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

I was listening to this "Eurobeat" phenomenon after learning some history about this genre, actually originated in Italy, but mostly sold to japan (for a japanese audience).
Been knowing about the genre for a long time, but never read up on it.
That got me extra interested.
There is also this weird "meme" thing around this genre, i think it has something to do with anime series and racing, and therefore i picked this title "Yoshi Dorifto"
i was hunting for my next Videogame remix, "athletic theme"..    "Yes, that's eurobeat!"

Did a google search and found that a eurobeat remix already existed, but i couldnt resist.
So this is my very basic and "tryhard" attempt on doing a eurobeat remix of Athletic theme.
However there are quite a few versions around already of this remix.
This is because, well, nintendo being nintendo....
I wanted to upload my track to Spotify, so i did ofcourse have to remove some nintendo samples,
and at the same time remastered the track a bit and made it a bit longer.

Now, im not too sure which one to send to OCremix..
The short one with just randomly placed FX, or the extended one with no FX.

As i just cant decide, i think i send both, and if OCremix likes my track, please pick one?
Maybe the new on is best as it's the  remastered longer version? 
Or maybe the OCremix community like some random FX in the short old version?
🤔😩

Kenneth

classic theme. the frenzied energy is always so recognizable.

first thing i noticed is that this is mastered really loud. the second thing i noticed is that it's essentially kick/bass in the way lows and then all the synths way above those bass instruments. there's not much in the middle of the track. a glance at the freq analysis reveals that there's a ton of sub-40hz content, like 10hz is louder than essentially any other band above 100hz. so a rolloff is desperately needed. there is some clipping according to my audio program (looks like it's mastered to +1.6!), but i didn't hear it specifically.

my initial impression of the arrangement was that this was essentially a straight adaptation with a beat under it and little changing in the melodic or harmonic content. the more i listened to it, the more i realized that fungist added a lot of little blurbs and bits to fill in some of the less dense rhythmic areas of the original. there was also some rhythmic adaptation done (1:18 feels really, really stuttered) but i didn't care for it since it was only done in a few places and just felt incorrect vs. an intentional change. there's a fun 'break' at about 2:04 that's essentially a solo section, and i liked the attention to the original's style there. after that's a big shout section to bring the track through to the end, and a quick outro.

this is a competent arrangement. the mastering is big and loud but doesn't sound bad despite the clipping. bring it down to -0.x rather than +1.6 and this is a pass by me. i don't think that adjusting your limiter will take that long (or just dropping in a rolloff so it's not so much sub content) so this is a conditional.

CONDITIONAL

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (1C) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"

I'm in full agreement with proph, except that the creative flourishes were obvious to me right off the bat, and I liked the rhythmic change at 1:18 (which sounded perfect with the honky-tonk piano to me).  It's some great Eurobeat, but the production needs work.

Unfortunately, I don't think the production is quite a 5-minute fix.  The master being brought down from +1.6dB to -0.1 max would be, but there's EQ and balance work to be done as well.  The kick in particular is super loud, and it needs to both be high passed and quieted a bit.  The leads are consistently too quiet.  There are some really complex layers going on in the background, which sound great when I can hear them, but I usually can't.

I do think this would be pretty easy to fix, but not quite easy enough to justify a Conditional vote.  I still enjoyed it a lot, so I do hope we see it back on the panel!

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (1C/1N) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely sounds too loud from the beginning, but we'll see where this goes. Strong energy though, even if the core kick could be pulled back and the melodic line should be more upfront and less washed out. Could fit right onto DDR Mario Mix in a heartbeat.

Nice drop at 1:40 to freshen up the texture. Beats came back at 2:04 but paved the way for comping-style original material which was also a strong compositional tactic, followed by a shift with completely different original writing at 2:29, then bringing back in the source theme at 2:41 underneath. 2:53 then finished things off with a quick hit of the verse's ending for the close.

So yeah, the mixing isn't ideal for me, but it's intentional and more of a personal taste issue with the balance than any big problem. The arrangement had drive, energy, and (most importantly) development & variations to be a fully fleshed out presentation. Easily my favorite B-laze submission yet!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (1Y/1C/1N) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

I love this! Had me grinning from ear to ear the whole way through. I was expecting some 'jumping on Yoshi' SFX in there before the choruses, but I see in the writeup you had to remove those due to copyright. Too bad, I think for something as over-the-top as this, a huge helping of cliché SFX would actually work.

No problems with the arrangement from me, I like the original piano soloing, and all the other little extras that differentiate it from the original. The production is pretty rough, but this style of Eurodance is forgiving enough to be passable. It's loud, in-your-face, and frenetic, and it just works. I sure had fun listening to it, anyway!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (2Y/1C/1N) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic

Mastered.  LOUD.  True peak 1.5db with lots of clipping happening.  Ok so what a cool concept for this source.  The source tune is already frenzied and this remix actually intensifies the frenzy but in a well-controlled manner.  What a fun mix full of unique variations of the theme.  The sound palette gets a little tiresome after awhile but the writing and energy changes keep it fresh.  I'd love for this to be mastered better, I think a nice loud mix can be attained by doing some EQ work (making sure there are no low-lows playing from anything other than kick and bass) and strategic multiband compression, and this mix is a bit loud in the crunchiest frequencies, but everything is audible and I hear no clipping or artifacts.  This mix could be just that much more impactful with a mixing/mastering cleanup but not enough to send back for that.  I adore the monstrous kick.  Yeah this is super fun.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (3Y/1C/1N) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto" *PRIORITY*

I like the approach, the arrangement works very well. I'm afraid that I agree with Proph and MW on the production, though; while there are a lot of cool background elements that make this track come alive (like the piano later in the track), it's just too easy to lose it in the mix. Even the classic Eurosynth stabs are lacking in the mix behind that all powerful kick.

Short review, but the strengths and weaknesses of this track are pretty easy to spot. Solid arrangement and awesome style, but the mixing needs another pass so we can hear the other instruments better and the master should be decreased to prevent the clipping that's happening on every kick.

NO

• Gario changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (3Y/1C/2N) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto" *PRIORITY*
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (3Y/1C/2N - DarkeSword / Emunator / Rexy / XPRTNovice) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic

This is good, goofy fun - no complaints conceptually. The execution is serviceable - while the mixing is definitely compressed and loud, I'm not hearing any audible clipping and it looks to be mastered to -0.0dB with standard metering, and all of the instruments are at least audible and there doesn't seem to be any major imbalance between parts.

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2022/07/11 - (4Y/1C/2N - DarkeSword / Rexy / XPRTNovice) Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/11 - *YES* Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04551 - *YES* Super Mario World "Yoshi Dorifto"
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic