Must-Have Games: The OCR List

sephfire

Sorry for disappearing. Thunderstorm screwed my internet provider for a few days. Updating the main page now.

Some changes:

-Rather than removing an entry entirely over disputes, I will simply add "(disputed)" to draw attention to it so people may discuss it further.

-The thread is getting a lot of attention and many entries. This is good. But given the number of nominations we're receiving, the list is obviously growing lengthy and it's clear not everyone agrees with every entry that has made the list so far. I'll be "(disputing)" a few entries myself and also investigating some reviews for some games I've not played personally, but I'm not the only person with veto power here. The more disputes we get, the more we can narrow down the list and try to weed out the personal favorites that can easily creep into lists such as these.

-Since there's been some confusion, I'll explain the purpose of this thread again.

This is not a thread for rattling off your personal favorite games (though it is unavoidable that many will treat it as such). Our goal here is to compile a list of games that every serious gamer should try or own. Games that are each a shining example of quality for their genre.. You don't even have to personally enjoy these games to appreciate their quality. For example, I'm not much of a Halo fan but I still know it belongs on this list. If anyone needs further explanation of this thread's purpose, please say so.

I'll spend some time today browsing some reviews for the games I've not personally played and will likely have a list of disputes to post be the end of it. Thanks for all the nominations guys. Keep 'em coming. :)

sephire pay attention to your own thread kthx

For all the posts you've made in this thread, you haven't contributed anything worthwhile. Our very capable mods can handle this thread as they see fit. If you would like to make yourself useful with nominations or disputes over a nomination, please stick around and help out. Otherwise, stop cluttering the thread.

And for the record, what are all these favorites threads I've "gotten away with?" You've mentioned them enough times that I'm seriously wondering if I've been creating them in my sleep or something.

Coop's list is lacking Lufia 1 +2, the most under rated RPG's for the SNES to date, therefore making it fail. Not to also forget Secret of Mana, a game that is also a bit overlooked and could be considered one of the best action RPG's on the snes, as well as the gold that is FF3(6).

see what a i did there

Fine, then while Sephire is at it, he can go to every main review site on the nets and post their rating for every game that someone nominates, so that way people at least have some numbers to judge them by.

Then attach links to member's reviews, mainly one that likes the game and one that doesn't, so that way people can get some feel as to what the game has in store for them. Make sure the reviews are thourough and not just a few blurbs of "this game sucks cause its emo" or "this is good cause cloud is awesome".

If you want this thread to work, put a lot more god damn effort into it rather than just listing shit.

favorites thread and seph needs to stop getting away with these

Totally awesome way of paying attention seph.

Minus the comments I left on the bottom of each post, I left pretty good ideas.

Is there a reason Metroid Prime: Hunters hasn't been nominated? IMO it is a 'shining example' of how a multiplayer FPS should be on the DS.

I thought at least 2 people had already nominated it but I guess that wasn't the case. So I too think Metriod Prime Hunters should be on the list. I personally don't think the DS and PSP should be on the list because they are still a current gen systems, but if they must be on the list here are some suggestions.

DS:

Metriod Prime Hunters

WarioWare Touched

New Super Mario Bros.

Mario Kart DS

Jump SuperStars

PSP:

Tekken Dark Ressurection

Daxter

PlayStation 2

Grand Turismo 4

Dragon Quest VIII

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly

Shadow of Destiny

PlayStation Portable

Lumines

Valkerie Profile: Lenneth

Tekken Dark Ressurection

Multi-platform

Silent Hill 2: Greatest Hits/Restless Dreams

Silent Hill 3

Hitman: Blood Money

Psychonauts

Myst III

Ok, Arek has helped me readjust the rules of this thing.

First off, the 2-nomination rule is gone. One nomination is all it will take to put a game in the initial list. After a couple more days for nominations, the real work will begin.

1. I will divide the entire list into clumps of 8-12 games. The grouping will be more-or-less random.

2. I will list the first group of games along with reviewer scores of each and any other pertinent info I can find.

3. We will all debate and discuss why each game should or should not be included in the final list. REAL DEBATE AND DISCUSSION.

4. Once we've sorted through that clump, I will lay the next group out for you guys and we will continue in that fashion, narrowing the initial list down as we go.

With this new system, hopefully the risk of flame wars, favorites threads and the ensuing LOCKED-ing can be avioded. Special thanks to Arek for helping me refine the system.

Keep the nominations coming, you've only got a couple days left. :-D

I seriously think that Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES/GEN) should be considered one of the greatest sim-RPG's out there (Bear with me action fans).

Also be cautious, there is a poor PC version out there. A port that the charcters wouldn't purport to port in.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6893/unchartedjm2.jpg

The game revolves around one of six characters that the player gets to choose from at the beginning of play. Each has a unique story and a penchant for a certain style of play. These scenarios give you a nice story-driven way to play through the game, but the beauty of UW: NH is how you can shy away from this and embrace a very open-ended simulation experience if you so choose. You can even defect to any of the other 5 nations once you gain a title (be careful, though... this influences the country's attitude toward you).

Here's a look at the personal stats page:

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/516/ucw1az2.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7340/ucw2oo4.jpg

You maintain your ship (which includes custom-fitting its cargo space, setting ration levels, hiring crew, equipping guns, etc), build a fleet (through fair purchases or hostile takeover), and hire officers from around the world as you sail your way to fame.

The main ways of gaining fame and money are three-fold.

First, there is trade. Get a crew together and find what goods are best to be purchased and sold at what ports. Each port around the world has different exchange rates on products, and its own set of goods to sell. Markets adjust to inundation, and sometimes you have to sail quite a ways to find just the right deal. Ports can also be converted to your homeland's territory if you put enough money into its economy. However, enemy merchant fleets likewise influence the market (if you choose to care). Guilds in most ports offer jobs to the casual sailor also.

Secondly, battle. Join up with your country's navy and patrol the seas for pirates or an opposing country's fleets. Guard your merchant fleets and raid others. Or get a letter of marque from your regent and go pirate on the seas... with free reign to plunder as you please. Assuming of course that you can take out your target. Battles between fleets are turn-based, and make use of every ship's manuverability, firepower, and manpower as you move them along the section of sea that you engaged your enemy in. Furthermore, you can try to duel the opposing commodore. Be sure to equip proper armor and weapons (found in weapon shops (rare ones in exotic places)) before engaging. Your skill is translated into a set of move options (a level of power with a type of attack: 1-9, lash/block-slash/dodge-thrust/parry).

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3945/unchcardmc7.jpg

Third (and my favorite), you can become an explorer. Roam the seas around Africa, Asia, or South America in hopes of finding native villages from which you can discover treasures or great landmarks. As you sail, if you have the cartography skill, you fill out your world map. Report your findings to get rewards from your financiers. Be sure to grab rare goods and ships from foreign lands, but be careful not to linger too long. Your crew may grow restless.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6709/uwnh2ex4.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/946/ucw3ey2.jpg

This great game offers so much replay value I have yet to get bored of it, and it is easily one of my 10 favorite games of all-time. Once you play it, you'll realize just how shallow Sid Meyer's Pirates really is. I can't stand to even touch it.

Also somebody should have said Suikoden 2 and Shadow of the Colossus by now. Don't make me write on those, too.

I know I already nominated Tekken 5 but I think Tekken Tag should also be on that list. The gameplay styles are varied enough in my opinion to warrant a try at both games.

I also, even though I personally don't like that much, Think Virtua Fighter 4 should be on the list because of what it contributed to the fighting genre.

Why is Devil May Cry 2 on the list? Isn't this the list for biggest, baddest games of the last generation? And not the biggest let-downs?

I guess you are just going to have to debate it. That is the only way the game can get taken down, through in-depth debate. At least that is how I understand it.

Okay, we've had time to make our nominations. Let us get down to discussion! It's time for ...

***THE FIRST ROUND***

Bangai-O

Console: Dreamcast

Publisher: Conspiracy Entertainment

Developer: Treasure

Meta Score: 8.5 (27 reviews)

Release: Mar 21, 2001

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

Console: Playstation 2

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Meta Score: 8.5 (68 reviews)

Release: Oct 25, 2004

Devil May Cry

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Meta Score: 9.2 (89 reviews)

Release: Oct 16, 2001

Shenmue II

Console: Xbox

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: Sega-AM2

Meta Score: 8.2 (78 reviews)

Release: Oct 28, 2002

F-Zero GX

Console: Gamecube

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Amusement Vision

Meta Score: 8.9 (101 reviews)

Release: Aug 26, 2003

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Console: Nintendo DS

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Intelligent Systems

Meta Score: 9.1 (67 reviews)

Release: Aug 22, 2005

LocoRoco

Console: PSP

Publisher: SCEA

Developer: SCEJ

Meta Score: 8.5 (82 reviews)

Release: Sep 5, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future

Console: Dreamcast

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Appaloosa Int.

Meta Score: 8.1 (42 reviews)

Release: Sep 10, 2000

Silent Hill 2

Publisher: Konami

Developer: KCET

Meta Score: 8.6 (72 reviews)

Release: Sep 24, 2001

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Monolith Soft

Meta Score: 8.3 (80 reviews)

Release: Feb 26, 2003

There are your first ten contestants. Remeber, we're not pitting these games against each other in competition. These are just ten randomly selected games from our nomination list. We will now discuss the merits of each of these games to decide whether or not each game belongs on the final list. Try to stick with games you've personally played for at least 20 minutes (preferably, more). BE SURE TO INCLUDE SEVERAL SENTENCES OF DISCUSSION AND REASONS FOR YOUR VOTE OR YOUR VOTE WILL *NOT* BE COUNTED.

Let's get started, shall we?

Devil May Cry -- UNDECIDED

I'm torn. The game was a great start to a great franchise, but it felt like the third installment improved on the formula so much that I have a harder time recommending either of the first two now. I really don't want to pit equally-deserving games from the same franchise against each other, so I'll refrain from voting on this one for the time being.

Xenosaga Episode 1 -- NO

There are a LOT of japanese RPGs available to the general public these days, and there are definitely superiors to this. While it offered a passable storyline and fun sci-fi aesthetic, the pacing was tedious, particularly when it came to the battle system. The game was decent enough to trick me into playing the sequel, but not nearly good enough to qualify as a must-play.

Get to it, OCR. :mrgreen:

Bangai-O I'd say YES but my memory is hazy so UNDECIDED

While I only have a limited experience with this title, I have to say that I rather enjoyed it.

Or at least I remember enjoying it at some point. Since it was a while ago, I cannot say I actually remember it that well, if only that when I see the name I know I enjoyed the game.

F-Zero GX

I'd give it a YES. The game easily deserves recognition for its overall level of polishness, and crazy hard addicting gameplay. It demands perfection to unlock everything, and rewards you at a good rate for it. Easily my favorite racing game from last gen.

Loco Roco

I'd give it a NO. The concept isn't so bad, but not much changes after the beginning to really compel you to keep going on.

Advance Wars DS

I have a hard time deciding on this, which probably means a NO. The game certainly kept me hooked for a good amount of time, but there are clearly areas in which it could use polishing, especially in the godawfully long multiplayer games. Multiplayer games should never require that length of time on a pick-up-and-go handheld, and some may argue that they should never be that long period.

I say Bangai-O is a must-play on one condition: you have to use the other control scheme. Then it becomes a great shooter with tight controls, incomprehensible but hilarious dialog, and that classic Treasure charm. And nothing beats the thrill of waiting until the *very* last second to release your super attack and see your hit counter skyrocket into the triple digits. The graphics are slightly below average for a DreamCast game, but with the sheer number of enemies and projectiles flying everywhere it's understandable why you'd need that sort of processing power.

Ace combat 5 YES. good overall game. improved graphisme since ace4, good music. nice story from the beginning to the end. only drawback, difficulty and plane management could be better but it's still a yes.

F Zero GX YES. good music, hard game, and racing at high speed while going up and down playing with gravity is something i like in that game.

Silent hill 2 NO Despise the fact i like a lot silent hill, i'll keep a yes for silent hill 1 or 3. Sue me... the hospital in SH3 was frightening.

Advance wars DS. YES. it's advance wars. fun, can be hard or easy depanding if you're good or not. Co's power and fun music make that game worthy.

Devil may cry NO a killing joypad game. nothing worthy. push the button, kill etc. too much action at the same time. the game was fun when it was out, but it is hollow.