R.I.P. Chris Benoit (1967-2007)

Hobocop

You just don't hear about murder suicides involving celebrities.
Not to change the topic, but SNL alum Phil Hartman--or more specifically, his wife that performed the deed--is one example that immediately springs to mind.

WWE is insisting that it is not roid rage. They make a good point. Aside from the strict testing (which Benoit passed just this April), he left bibles at their feet. He tied his wife up and asphyxiated her with an electrical cord, she showed no sign of resisting. His son was asphyxiated by a plastic bag. The acts were very deliberate, and neither showed signs of being beaten, although there was some blood near his wife.

Get this, though. His son had needlemarks on his arm. Apparently Benoit and Nancy were giving their son growth hormone treatments, as they thought that he was abnormally small. That may account for the steroids they found in the house. This is somewhat speculative, though, we won't know for sure until toxicology reports come back.

Also, in most cases of murder suicide such as this, it's caused by a long depression in which the father feels that his family would be better off "in heaven" than living in this world. It sounds fitting, since he did leave bibles at their feet. It's sounding very premeditated. Lastly, Bret Hart indicated that Benoit may not have been happy with his current role in WWE TV, which might have meant his being drafted to ECW. He wouldn't say much more than that, but it sounded like there were problems of that nature. Once again, that's speculative and until reports come out confirming the validity, it should be taken as speculation.

That sucks. He had a good career before the murders suicide, why can't they just remember the athlete and try to forgive the murderer?

This move is part of damage control that WWE is trying to do as stockholders are probably unhappy with this incident. Also tribute show for Benoit was disrespectful at least for family of Benoit's wife.

This move is part of damage control that WWE is trying to do as stockholders are probably unhappy with this incident. Also tribute show for Benoit was disrespectful at least for family of Benoit's wife.

Chris Benoit the husband was disrespectful, Chris Benoit the wrestler was one hell of a jobber. Right now, this is a PR fiasco. They aired the tribute too soon and now they are trying to distance themselves. Look before you leap people. 5 years from now, people are gonna remember the backpedaling and not the tribute.

That sucks. He had a good career before the murders suicide, why can't they just remember the athlete and try to forgive the murderer?

I feel the same way, actually. No one can say for sure why this happened, but I'll be honest; I spent a good portion of lastnight awake in disbelief, and I cried over the loss of one of my heroes.

I usually don't mention this part of my past, but I used to actually aspire to be a professional wrestler when I was growing up. One of the high points of my life was when I got an acceptance letter saying that I could attend the Harts "School of Hart Knocks" at the time. I had the money, and I was in a lot better physical shape than I am now; my dream was to be trained in "the dungeon" (even though at the time the dungeon was no longer in use). I gave up that dream for a family, and used the money I had to get married, and make an attempt at family life instead. More recently, I've been considering getting into shape again and attending a new wrestling school that is being operated by Lance Storm in Calgary. My wife wants me to go for it, and we talk a lot about what it would be like if I ever made it. Those talks would always end up in the direction of "who would my dream opponent be?". Well I always told her that given the state of wrestling right now, my dream opponent would be Chris Benoit. I imagined how amazing it would be to wrestle someone as intense as he was. I would get chills watching his matches, understanding the psychology behind everything he did, and being genuinely impressed every time he came down to the ring.

The loss of that dream, and more importantly, the disappointment that I feel right now about his actions leaves me feeling genuinely heartbroken. I feel disillusioned, and disgusted, yet at the same time I will always love Benoit in my own way. He was my hometown hero and I looked forward to watching him every week, even if I had to download RAW just to watch.

I don't know how to end this post, other than to say that this is one of the most confusing moments of my life. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Edit: The backpedaling was necessary, and people should understand it. WWE hadn't learned of the mode of death at the time; only that Benoit and his family were found dead. The initial reaction among people internally was that it was an accident, possibly Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Only when pieces of the puzzle came together did it become more sinister; and that was hours after RAW went off the air. The only indication that anyone had that something was "wrong" with Benoit, was a text message that (they believe) Chavo Guerrero recieved, stating "The back door is open, the dogs are fed". People really should give WWE a break right now, as they are doing exactly the right thing at the moment (which isn't something their known for).

good career before the murders suicide, why can't they just remember the athlete
before the murders suicide
murders suicide

Seeing where I'm going with this?

Sure, he had a good career, and we should all be very happy for that. But people have a crazy tendency to not forgive guys who murder their wife and young child. I'm not saying he's Hitler Q. Manson, but there was clearly something unscrewed in there. People could have the best career ever, but when you go and kill your family, most people are going to remember that a lot more than his fantastic wrestling moves.

Of course, there is the outside possibility that this was some kind of setup and that Benoit was framed by some other bastard. Seems pretty unlikely at this point, though, based on all the evidence.

Condolences the families and friends, reserving judgment of Benoit either way until more surfaces, buuuut... I dunno.

I still have a hard time believing Benoit actually did this, but I also think their is a slight chance that something else happened rather than a murder-suicide. First off I just don't see any kind of motive. Being ECW champion doesn't sound like something Benoit would be unhappy about. Also his text messages seemed like a desperate peel for help. Third, no aputopsy results have come in. Finally, despite what the investigators say, they don't really know what happened. No suicide note, recording, or video evidence was left and being as the family is dead, they can't ask anyone to actually find out what happened. They aren't even going to investigate outside the house. They just simple have no exact proof that Benoit did all this and as unlikely as it sounds it could have been easily framed to make it look like Benoit did all this. If they had a sucide note or video tape it would another story but right now they haven't presented much other than a very well speculated theory. Benoit probably did do all this, but I still think is hard to actually go by what the press has been saying and I still believe there is a possibility that something else might have happened

I still have a hard time believing Benoit actually did this, but I also think their is a slight chance that something else happened rather than a murder-suicide. First off I just don't see any kind of motive. Being ECW champion doesn't sound like something Benoit would be unhappy about. Also his text messages seemed like a desperate peel for help. Third, no aputopsy results have come in. Finally, despite what the investigators say, they don't really know what happened. No suicide note, recording, or video evidence was left and being as the family is dead, they can't ask anyone to actually find out what happened. They aren't even going to investigate outside the house. They just simple have no exact proof that Benoit did all this and as unlikely as it sounds it could have been easily framed to make it look like Benoit did all this. If they had a sucide note or video tape it would another story but right now they haven't presented much other than a very well speculated theory. Benoit probably did do all this, but I still think is hard to actually go by what the press has been saying and I still believe there is a possibility that something else might have happened

It's hard to accept, but you better get in touch with reality and realize what authorities have already stated. At this stage, I understand you're being hopeful and in denial, but statements like yours at this point are just naive.

It's hard to accept, but you better get in touch with reality and realize what authorities have already stated.

That is another thing that bothers me, everything so far seems to have been handled by the local police. I am sorry to say this but the local police just aren't reliable. They mostly just go in take fingerprints and provide information. They need someone better on this. And also, I am not in denial because there isn't much to deny. If you read what I said, you would know that I think it will most likely and up that Benoit did do all this as much as I dislike it. But there is still more info and more investigating that needs to get done before they completely solve this case. Cases like these can take weeks to solve. Also considering that Benoit is a little more well-known than your average person, I am sure someones going to continue this case until it is solved completely. Also like I said before, the autopsy results haven't even come yet which alone means they aren't even sure how they all died and how long they were dead for.

More needs to be done before anyone can say what happened for sure.

That is another thing that bothers me, everything so far seems to have been handled by the local police. I am sorry to say this but the local police just aren't reliable. They mostly just go in take fingerprints and provide information. They need someone better on this. And also, I am not in denial because there isn't much to deny. If you read what I said, you would know that I think it will most likely and up that Benoit did do all this as much as I dislike it. But there is still more info and more investigating that needs to get done before they completely solve this case. Cases like these can take weeks to solve. Also considering that Benoit is a little more well-known than your average person, I am sure someones going to continue this case until it is solved completely. Also like I said before, the autopsy results haven't even come yet which alone means they aren't even sure how they all died and how long they were dead for.

More needs to be done before anyone can say what happened for sure.

Read the latest, it's very apparent that Benoit did it. It may be a tough pill to swallow, but that's the way it goes. Signs indicate that they weren't strangled with his hands, but a chokehold was applied to his son. Who knows how to chokehold better than Benoit?

The only thing that I can say is at least if Benoit did apply a chokehold, his son would have been unconscious before he knew what was happening. He knew what he was doing, and he went about it methodically. Even though it was an evil act, I think he still tried to be respectful about it by not allowing them to suffer. At least I hope that's how he thought, although it makes little difference.

Also, he was found strangled by his weight machine. He wrapped a towel around his neck, likely so his throat wouldn't be cut by the cord, attached all the weight to the cord and let it drop, hanging himself. I don't think any ninjas had it in for him, and I can't see very many people outpowering him without leaving signs of a struggle. It was Benoit.

Check the latest news, and you'll see what I'm saying. Wrestlezone.com, as well as most other wrestling websites, have less speculative information than most reliable news sources. You may want to check http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/

Dave Meltzer is one of the more reliable sources of wrestling news, and he knows many of the wrestlers personally (and has for a long time). He also won't speculate like the news outlets will.

They were both part of the Four Horsemen along with Benoit and Eddie Guerrero back in WCW and WWF.

Actually they called themselves 'The Radicals". They felt that they were getting screwed over in WCW, so they all left once their contracts were up and moved on to the WWF/E.

Actually they called themselves 'The Radicals". They felt that they were getting screwed over in WCW, so they all left once their contracts were up and moved on to the WWF/E.

Its sort of ironic that he was part of a group named the radicals when seeing his possible motives makes him look like a radical. Off subject, Benoit was part of the four horsemen at one point.