Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

Please ask all your fruity loops questions in this thread! also, if this gets to be a long thread --- please do not post the same questions twice, read through it first. I am sure that i will not be the only one posting to this thread giving help as well.

Some threads that already exist for fruity loops are:

general "how to use" threads:

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7021

importing samples/synths/generators:

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7537

about changing tempo, and a little automating events:

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7151

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7327

shuffle in fruity:

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6940

effecting part of a song/using send tracks:

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6679

Please feel free to post any questions about the program here. thank you!

~starla

ok, theres the opening statement for the fruity loops 101 thread.

I am going to put all the relevant info into this thread, but give me time ok. It is a big ass thread and it will take a while to get everything out of it that is needed.

Don't post here yet please

I want to have all the info in the first two posts ok. My next post is going to be the one with the info (and i am prolly gonna edit it bit by bit until all the info is there.)

If you have anything to say about this, say it in the fruity 101 thread until i post here again please. This thread can be continued in the same fashion as the other after i start posting the info here. This should make things a lot easier.

Hey lee, most of those links don't work.

really, that sucks ass. I wont change em til im done with the whole thing though, too much to go back through and make sure it all works when im gonna do more and have to go through those and eventually get mixed up and end up with a big mess... but yeah, the important parts are the questions and answers. Anyways, post in the other thread now, lol.

When you first open up fruity loops, the sample song has, in pattern two, a line called short 3. After playing itself once, the sound swells slightly. This does this every second time. I'm not too able to find what is changing. This is 3.56

When you first open up fruity loops, the sample song has, in pattern two, a line called short 3. After playing itself once, the sound swells slightly. This does this every second time. I'm not too able to find what is changing. This is 3.56

The newstuff song? Did you check the FX? I think a filter FX is automated in that song.

The newstuff song? Did you check the FX? I think a filter FX is automated in that song.

Yup, I checked it. It's the fact that the free filter is automated and that it has a flanger on it.

Question about FX

I dont really know how to use these... how do you make them act on one channel or instrument, and at different times? I think I understand what automation is, but, really, I don't. I think FX are probably very useful and are not the cheap way to make your song sound more professional that they seem to be, but I don't really know how to use them other than have them effect everything all at once for the whole song.

Does anyone have an easy explanation? Also, I have tried making those pads with the 3xOsc, but they dont turn out well... they just end up sounding too harsh for what I intended and there aren't all that many options. Again, thanks for being such a great and supportive forum community!

Also, a tip. If you want a specific note to sound accented, a better route than to raise the velocity is to actually have several instances of that note in the same spot. Velocity spikes have their uses, but they don't really sound like accents.

Question about FX

Hmm... On the channel properties (click on the channel name) there is an 'LCD' display that says 1. That is the FX channel that the sampler channel is assigned to (1 is default). Move the number to whichever channel you want, I usually start with 2 and work my way up, if I want that channel to have effects (and I do. A lot.) Then click the FX button on that toolbar with the 5 large buttons, and that is your FX window. You can select FX channels here and add, depending on your FL version, up to 16 different VST or Fruity Effects each. As for the whole "at different times" part... I'm stumped, I think you use one of the 4 Send channels.

Question about FX

I dont really know how to use these... how do you make them act on one channel or instrument, and at different times? I think I understand what automation is, but, really, I don't. I think FX are probably very useful and are not the cheap way to make your song sound more professional that they seem to be, but I don't really know how to use them other than have them effect everything all at once for the whole song.

Does anyone have an easy explanation? Also, I have tried making those pads with the 3xOsc, but they dont turn out well... they just end up sounding too harsh for what I intended and there aren't all that many options. Again, thanks for being such a great and supportive forum community!

Also, a tip. If you want a specific note to sound accented, a better route than to raise the velocity is to actually have several instances of that note in the same spot. Velocity spikes have their uses, but they don't really sound like accents.

Please go back a few pages in this thread and read my other posts.

It's really quite simple... Allow me to explain:

In FL 3.3 and up, the FX rack contains one Master effect channel and 16 seperate effects channels. Inserting FX into the master channel will apply them to all sound at all times... forever... Meanwhile, putting FX into any of the other channels will only apply FX to the corresponding tracks in the step sequencer that have themselves set to that FX channel.

________
| xx|
| |
| |
| |
|_______|

The x's in the above diagram signify where the FX channel selection is in the Track Properties dialog, which is accessed by clicking on a track name in the step sequencer. Set this to the FX channel you wish for that track to send its audio to.

And I highly suggest you don't double up on notes to create accents. Doing so increases the volume of the sound by 100% which is quite a bit more than an accent...

EDIT: When you want to create a pad, it's all about utilizing the envelopes correctly. Make sure to use copious amounts of attack on your amplitude envelope and maybe a bit on the cutoff envelope. You should also add some release to the amplitude envelope. And after that, in order to make it sound smoother and less harsh and raw, you should use some reverb, equalization, and maybe a phaser or flanger.

Very simply put, I'm working with the Midi Out in Fruity Loops 3.56.

What I'm trying to do is use the Preset for the Line 6 Pod 2. It's got a ton of cool effects, which since I started trying to remix, I've been looking to use those same kinds of effects to create relatively good electric guitar samples.

Anyways, I need to know some things about the Midi Out.

Specifically, I need to know if you can apply FX, and if so, how to do so. Also, I need to know how to play around with the banks, channels, and ports for optimum efficiency.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Your Line 6 Pod 2 does not use MIDI Effects. What this means is that all effects applied are applied directly to audio. Basically, you would have to output the audio from your computer into the Line 6 and then back into your computer for recording.

I have a question: I know that it's not a good idea to use the samples that come with FruityLoops (mostly because they sound pathetic), but what are your opinions on using generators like the TS404 or 3xOsc for sounds? Also, which generators are best for lead, pads, drums, etc.? Thank you.

-KG

TS404 and the 3xOSC are awesome. They are because of the fact that you can load a .wav sample into the generator and use that instead of a sine/saw/square. Pretty cool stuff.

Your Line 6 Pod 2 does not use MIDI Effects. What this means is that all effects applied are applied directly to audio. Basically, you would have to output the audio from your computer into the Line 6 and then back into your computer for recording.

Actually, I think I didn't quite say what I meant to the right way the first time. There's a setting in the midi out inside of FL, in fact, there's about 20 of them, and one of them is the Line 6 Pod 2. It's got some sub-function settings for distortion and things of that nature. What I was getting at is whenever I use those in-program settings, it just seems as though they don't work.

That's what has me puzzled. I suppose I could be doing something wrong, but that's just me.

I wish I did have a Line 6 Pod 2 though...I'd really have excellent effects for my electric guitars then. That'd rock.

Edit

---------

Okay, here's how to locate what I'm talking about:

First, insert a new midi out into your FL step sequencer.

Next, click on your newly created midi out to bring up the Channel settings dialog box. From here, you can change the way things sound, or so I thought.

Now, you want to click on the midi out drop down menu which will bring down some choices. Once you see this menu with choices, click the presets choice, it will bring up a menu with different presets, one of which is that Line 6 Pod 2 I was talking about previously.

That's what I was talking about before, I figured I'd just guide you to it, maybe it'd make more sense that way, who knows, but I figured it'd be better this way.

Well, rather than edit my post a second time, I decided to make a new one because it's a different topic than what to do with the midi out.

Anyway, I'm trying to export an MP3 from FL. However, I used two Midi Out sequencers, and when I tried to export the file as MP3, Wav and MID, and then played it in Winamp, it doesn't work. I can't seem to understand why.

Could someone shed light on this for me?

From the allmighty Garian:

Best way to synthesize a distorted guitar: take a saw.wav turn the cut to about the 3/5ths mark, turn the res up by a 1/4 (precomputed effects) and on use the ins tab and put the filter on highpass, turn the cut to about 2/7 and the res about 10/13 (adjust to taste) and put it through either a fast distortion or blood overrdrive, a reverb (make it very slight or to taste) and maybe a chorus

also, you might want to turn the attack to 0 on the volume envelope, and (if possible) modulate the sustain/decay/hold/release as the song progressses (for a live feel) or set the hold to about 30 ms, the decay from 20-50 ms, and sustain level around 70%, but watch the release time, because if the notes are played together quickly, a release will make it sound fake, so possibly modulate the release as needed (i don't know quite whereat, because i really came up with this on the fly)

Majin, I understand your problem now. I didn't realize you don't actually have a Line 6 Pod 2.

Diferent MIDI devices have different CC#'s (coarse controller numbers). CC#'s are what specify where certain controls are in a MIDI channel. They're typically semi-specific to each different MIDI device you have, although sometimes you will have the same CC#'s for the same controls in devices. This is usually only with things like Pitchbend and the volume knob on something.

The reason the Pod 2 MIDI preset won't work for you (for whatever you're trying to use it on) is because a.) all the controls you see are simply MIDI CC#'s patched to knobs or sliders and are actually built into the Pod 2 and b.) the CC#'s on whatever device (if you're actually using some other device) are different.

I think I should point out that the order in which you put FX into the FX rack affects how your sound goes. Yes, ORDER is key. Let me illustrate:

FL FX Rack

mast. a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p s1 s2 s3 s4 <--- FX channel listing

1>Fruity reverb

2>Fruity delay

3>Fast dist.

4>

5>

6>

7>

8>

The above example would cause your sound (in FX channel 3) to first have reverb applied, then the dry sound and the reverb would be echoed with the delay, and then the dry sound, the reverb, and the echo would be distorted, making a big garbled mess. If you were to reorder this so that the distortion is on top, then the delay, then the reverb, it would sound like a crystal-clear distorted, reverbed, echoed sound in exactly the order it should be.

So FX in the FX rack occur in order of top to bottom. Keep this in mind. It's very important.

Thanks everyone for replying. That does help a lot. I'm gonna keep working with the distortion a bit because I really want to fine tune it to some specific styles I wish to use.

I've been trying a lot different things for a distorted guitar, just short of recording my own guitar with some heavy distortion from my FX board. Still, at least this way I can really detail it the way I want to. Again my thanks for taking the time to help teach me something new.

Order... no wonder my flanges never seemed to come through :oops: .

That distortion guitar thing is cool. But, if you'll excuse my ignorance, what's a saw.wav?

Anyway, I think I'm going to post in the General Discussion board about the need for an original composition WIP/Exhibition/Chat board. I would e-mail djpretzel, but that would take a long time, and I he wouldn't be able to see all the follow-up posts agreeing and giving new reasons to. I think I'm gonna wait a little, as since I don't really know completely what's what in this forum yet, I'm wondering if that kind of thing is generally frowned upon.

I've been working on this original composition using what I've learned from all of you here at this thread, and I don't want it to just sit on my computer! I'm sure there are lots of people who feel the same way as me, having compositions with nowhere to go... and as much as OCR is about the games, its ever more about the music, and I don't think it would be too out of line to have a separate area for non-remix music.

Rellik, its a sample. i have to suffer with default friuty samples for now, becuase i don't have any way to get any decent packs home right now, but the saw.wav in fruity is located in the fruity/samples/instruments/shapes/basic folder.

edit: triplet notes, as in the "horse gallup" type of sound from 80s metal bands? if thats what you mean, its the same as doing it in the step sequencer: do the notes 3 at a time, then skip a step. if you have any megaman midis, import them and look at the bassline in the piano roll. its a prime example.

By triplets, you mean as in the musical formation, don't you? As in, 3 equal notes in 2 beats? In that case, just change the snap to ticks, and adjust to taste!