Sign in to follow this  
starla

FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

Does the piano roll frustrate anyone else? You cant select large groups of notes and move them all, you cant copy and paste (lets say you want something to repeat, you have to click everything in again) and... its just so frustrating. Sometimes the snap has problems with it, where it gets stuck snapping in the wrong place. Grrrrr... isn't there any better way? And also, could I copy notes from Fruityloops and paste them in Cakewalk, since that is so much easier to edit?

Press the "e" key to go into selection mode on the piano roll. There, you can select large groups of notes, press ctrl+c then ctrl+v to copy and paste.

Once a group is selected, you must use the pencil or hand tool to move the groups around.

Snap is something you just need to work with, the 1/2's and 1/4's of beats just give you the opportunity to pen out 16ths and 32nds.

Couldn't get much easier, eh?

You have to set up midi first. in FL, press F10. I also have a problem with MIDI though. for SOME odd reason, Midi will not play even when I have the correct device selected to port 0! (I use the creative PCI sounds, not GS wavetable) Logically it would've worked, but I have problems with this.

EDIT: Nope, no answers! Help!

do you have soundblaster? no right? well, go to that sound icon in the system tray if you have it. double click and make sure MIDI isn't on mute or at low volume. I had this problem, thought i couldn't play MIDI's for ever and then I found out when i hooked up my guitar :D

You have to set up midi first. in FL, press F10. I also have a problem with MIDI though. for SOME odd reason, Midi will not play even when I have the correct device selected to port 0! (I use the creative PCI sounds, not GS wavetable) Logically it would've worked, but I have problems with this.

EDIT: Nope, no answers! Help!

do you have soundblaster? no right? well, go to that sound icon in the system tray if you have it. double click and make sure MIDI isn't on mute or at low volume. I had this problem, thought i couldn't play MIDI's for ever and then I found out when i hooked up my guitar :D

I so have a soundblaster, and midis will play in winamp, just not FL. it's definitely not muted.

Could anyone that actually has midi working just tell me exactly HOW they set it up. Like, which buttons should be on or off or whatever...

Okay, Seattle. Goto start>programs>Fruity loops>advanced>reset settings so you can reset anything that screwed it up or anything. Then open up a midi by doing file>open and select a midi. Play back the Pattern. (sorry i'm treating you like a complete idiot but this is for everyone SOCs) Don't hear anything? Hit F10.

In remote control input you should see your sound cards default MIDI control. Leave it. Mine says "SB LIVE! MIDI UART". don't do anything to master synth, leave it at "none". Remote control should be "generic controller" and "auto-accept" should be on. Then, on the output port mapping, select one of the items you have there and the port option should appear. Select Port 0 because that is the default port MIDI's play through. Now goto options and enable both "midi remote control" and "midi output". Now when you play it back you should hear the MIDI.

What you can do if that doesn't work is in the output port menu, select different items to see which one works. What they are basically are different Midi banks with different MIDI sounds for the slected instruments.

Hope this helps SOCs.

i think you would find the answer aout 2 or 3 times if you read through the thread though, hearing it in different ways may help.

I really suggest fruity users read this whole thread.

Wow... this thread has been so much help. It's great. I had the 'silent MIDI' problem too, and if I'd known all you had to do was change the port number to 0... Wow. Don't I feel stupid.

And Rellik - if you have Cakewalk, why don't you just make a MIDI in that and import it into FL, apply a SF bank, then export it as an MP3? Notation is a billion times easier in my MIDI program (PrintMusic! 2000) than in that vile little piano roll. You can barely see anything!

I also have that silent midi problem. But whenever I go to options and turn the remote control and output on, or change the output plugin or change it's port, fruityloops says system error: the specified device is already in use. Wait till it's free then try again. Anyone know what's wrong? All of my choices on the output list do this, regardless of the port. I have no other programs running either.

I need assistance with the free-styling the fruity vst scratcher. I understand how to uplaod a sample and do everything, but record what i do :/.

Help would be cool, thnx in advanced.

fruity vst scratcher? im not even going to try to ask what that is.

Thanks for the tip Red Omen, it actually works alot better that way :).

I do have a question though. How do you set IDv1 and IDv2 tags or whatever they are?

I'm submitting my first remix (if you want to here it its just like version 3 at http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rellik/ValleyofTheShadow_v3_variant.mp3 except I made it more polished) and I am trying to figure out all this Idv stuff but I have no idea what it means or what to do about it... :(? I'm sure there's an easy answer to this question...

There are many programs that come with XP that will do it for you, but If you want a good tag editor go nline and dl one, their everywere...naming one would be useless. (by the way your song is clipping, id try to fix that before submitting)

Thanks, so, search for "Tag Editor"? On google or something? Ok, I'll try it!

But... well, how do I get rid of clipping? I've heard alot about it, but haven't really thought that it might apply to me (since I don't record live) so I don't really know exactly what clipping is :oops: lol much less how to fix it...

Should I raise the bit-rate or something?

Clipping, to simplify it, is when a signal (your sound) distorts because the output can't handle it. Really, I can't explain it very well. Someone else probably should. BUT I can tell you how to avoid it:

Compression, Limiting, Normalization, and Equalization.

I'm partial to hard limiting using FL's Soft Clipper, and that works quite well and conserves CPU, but even then I usually take a song into Sound Forge and normalize it to smooth out the rough edges. And you should always EQ your sounds to get them exactly how you want and to cut back on frequencies that are causing clipping.

I see, so clipping is kind of like when, on a spectrum analyzer, the lines are actually all the way up at the highest loudness they can get, so anything louder than that gets "clipped" so you cant hear it. I see... yes, now I see that this in fact is a problem!

However, I'm not exactly sure how to use the Fruity Effects... it seems that there are only four slots that I can use effects on. I have used all four, two of which are the EQ and Soft Clipper. I think compression may be the easiest way to fix this problem. So, i'm going to try out cutting out some of the flange I had on there and replacing it with Compression... thanks!

Question going out to all: right now I have Fruityloops as a demo software. And frankly, the voice selection sucks. It won't let me use a great number of the voices because it is a demo version, and a lot of voices I would expect to find, I can't. So basically I'm wondering, (yes I plan on buying the full version), if that is only because it is a demo, or if I'm supposed to download different voices from somewhere. Thanks!

Question going out to all: right now I have Fruityloops as a demo software. And frankly, the voice selection sucks. It won't let me use a great number of the voices because it is a demo version, and a lot of voices I would expect to find, I can't. So basically I'm wondering, (yes I plan on buying the full version), if that is only because it is a demo, or if I'm supposed to download different voices from somewhere. Thanks!

voices? You mean the speech section?

DJKarma... I wouldn't expect much from those default voices if I were you! I like the percussion that comes with, they're really flexible and high quality, but I mostly use soundfonts and samples I get from the internet (or some I make myself).

BTW, lol, I just submitted my first ReMix ever! http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rellik/ and its relevant because, at the end I added this horse gallop that I couldn't find anywhere so I recorded it from a larger thing. Be creative, if you dont have anything you want, find it, make it, or distort it.