igNoring thE craSh - An NES Tribute Album [FINAL DEADLINE: AUGUST 10TH]

Touchstone

NES_banner_zps1aae3c69.png

On October 8th, 2015, it will be 30 years since the US release of the Nintendo Entertainment System. Compared to the time period, it was a remarkable success, as it seemed to ignore the video game crash of 1983. This is why the proposed name of this album is igNoring thE craSh.

Recruitment
To become a ReMixer, just PM me, or post on the thread, the game and track you want to do. If you are not posted on OCR, please include a sample of your work or a link to you work in the thread/PM. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Now to the important part...
Games
-Little Nemo
-Dr. Mario
-Wario's Woods
-Mega Man (1-6)
-Metal Gear (1 & 2)
-Crystalis
-Maniac Mansion
-Ninja Gaiden (1-3)
-StarTropics (1 & 2)
-Tetris
-Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
-Metroid
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1-3 + Tournament Fighters)
-Kid Icarus
-Battletoads + Battletoads & Double Dragon
-Castlevania (1-3)
-Contra (1 & 2)
-Bubble Bobble (1-3)
-Ducktales
-Rad Racer
-The Legend of Zelda (1-2)
-Final Fantasy (1-3)
-Super Mario Bros. (1-3)
BOLDED names have claimed tracks, see below for more details.

Claimed Tracks (This will grow as games are claimed.)

-Megaman 3 - ** ~Sagnewshreds

-Tetris - ** ~ Chernabogue

-Metroid - Title Theme ~Trev

-MegaMan III - Title ~Trev

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters - Fight Music 4 ~Mak Eightman

-Battletoads & Double Dragon - Missile Mayhem ~Sbeast

-Contra - Waterfall ~jorito

-Bubble Bobble - *Undefined/No Specific Track* ~YamaYama/milothefultz

-Super Mario Bros. 3 - Athletic Theme ~Mak Eightman

Red has a starting WIP.
Blue has a substantial WIP.
Green is in final stage of production.
Orange is finished.

Themes
The above list is the games that will be targeted for this album. We will want at least 1 track per game, prospectively including sequels. That will be at least 23 tracks on this album. We want this album to have a sense of evolution, changing styles from 8-bit to fully orchestrated. After all, this is celebrating not only the NES's 30th anniversary, but 30 years of a genre that should have disappeared; instead it grew and evolved, changing the face of the world forever. Added to this, we want the first, most 8-bit track to be from 10 Yard Fight, as this is(?) the first NES game, and the last orchestra track from Wario's Woods, as it is the last NES game. Also, a last request. If you plan on joining, please try not to choose the obvious tracks from each of the games listed (Zelda's theme, Mario's overworld). Thanks.

Current Staff
Director: touchstone.
Assistant Director: BorgMan.

Website Designer: Needed.

Album Artist: The Coop.

Submission
Once you have finished your ReMix of your claimed track, send it in an MP3 file format to me at jamesmleinonen@gmail.com, or PM it to BorgMan. We will judge it, and we email you back with either acceptance, or some final criticism on how to make it better. If you are sending a WIP, please PM it to me or BorgMan, and you should receive some general critique.

I'll say it now, so I don't have to do it later. Welcome to the project! Welcome to igNoring thE craSh!
EDIT: I've taken in input from the thread, and from my co, BorgMan, and redone this post.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey! Can I do "Title Theme (Zelda II: Adventure of Link)"??

I do orchestral syle.

Here's my portfolio: www.nckmusic.com

PS. Just ONE Final Fantasy track? haha

Sure thing! I'll put you down! Also, despite being what I'd consider a "fluent" gamer, I've never played much of any Final Fantasy game. That's why there's only one track.

Not wanting to crash the party (no pun intended), but you seem a little too ambitious here. You already started a recruitment thread for another album the SMG one), you asked Tuberz to take the BoF project, and not two weeks later, you are willing to create another project? Plus all those projects seem quite ambitious too!

I don't want to sound unpleasant, but I think you should take a step back and consider it. You're very new to OCR. Projects take a LOT of time, even if you plan a lot ahead. Maybe you need more experience before trying to run such projects (spending more time at OCR, knowing people, etc.) Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd strongly advise you to focus on one project for now.

Please note I'm no OCR staff, but my experience in projects tells me you may be a little too eager here. Just take it as a friendly advise. :)

Gotta chime in and agree with Chernabogue. Even small projects - less than ten tracks - usually take a while, and require a significant amount of commitment. Not trying to be a downer, just speaking based on observation and (to a very lesser extent) experience. You should probably consider trying to knock them out one at a time, or at least scale down the scope of them.

Not wanting to crash the party (no pun intended), but you seem a little too ambitious here. You already started a recruitment thread for another album the SMG one), you asked Tuberz to take the BoF project, and not two weeks later, you are willing to create another project? Plus all those projects seem quite ambitious too!

I don't want to sound unpleasant, but I think you should take a step back and consider it. You're very new to OCR. Projects take a LOT of time, even if you plan a lot ahead. Maybe you need more experience before trying to run such projects (spending more time at OCR, knowing people, etc.) Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd strongly advise you to focus on one project for now.

Please note I'm no OCR staff, but my experience in projects tells me you may be a little too eager here. Just take it as a friendly advise. :)

what he said

I would suggest you freeze the SMG album and focus your attention on this one instead, seeing as you've got only a year to go, give or take a few months. I for one am quite interested to see what could come out of it.

In the meantime, have a goodie :)

NES_Remix_case-01_zpsb8d458e8.jpg

Edited by BorgMan

Yeah, I realize two album projects is pretty ambitious, and I would like to clarify some things. This was my first post for an album, and after a week of nothing, I kind of left it alone, making it pretty much dead. So, I looked around for someyhing I could join, and I found the BoF album, and took it on. I currently focus on the BoF album, as this one is already in the works. However, if this one gets enough support, I may focus more on this. I did not think that this would have any intrest, so I was shocked by nckmusic.

This album is still alive, but on the back burner.

Hope this cleared things up.

Also, thanks Borgman for the album art!

Edited by Touchstone

Well, I dont want to sound rude but you could have just said It was dead (or on the 'back burner').

I'm new to the oc forum, I dont quite know how things work here, I just want to collaborate with other musicians, If your project is dead then just say it man, dont wait til I have done the remix to tell me that.

Btw, thanks Chernabogue, Melbu Frahma and G-Mixer. I hate getting into projects that wont get much dedication.

Well, I dont want to sound rude but you could have just said It was dead (or on the 'back burner').

I'm new to the oc forum, I dont quite know how things work here, I just want to collaborate with other musicians, If your project is dead then just say it man, dont wait til I have done the remix to tell me that.

Btw, thanks Chernabogue, Melbu Frahma and G-Mixer. I hate getting into projects that wont get much dedication.

One of my least favorite things is when people give up that easily. The project is not dead. He's saying back burner because he's probably planning to get back to this, even if it's a while from now.

If he wants to continue with this, he will. If he's got some dedication for it, he'll make it happen. But from experience, don't overdo yourself with projects. Ha. I'm still recovering from how much I've put on myself.

Also, if you've finished a remix and then he says he can't continue with it, then just submit it to the judges or upload it to SoundCloud or something. Never let something go to waste if you're proud of it. :)

The project is not dead. He's saying back burner because he's probably planning to get back to this, even if it's a while from now.

G-Mixer's right. I do intend to do this project, I just need to decide which of the two projects (BoF or ItC) I should do first. If you're willing to work on a ReMix, that's fine, and I will be accepting anything. By the "back burner" I meant that this is still going on, and the deadline remains the same, I won't be perusing this one as much. I'm not opposed to having a assistant director to help out, and one to make sure this project is getting done. If you still want to pull your claim nckmusic, I completely understand.

Anyways, public poll:

Breath of Fire

or

igNoring thE craSH?

Which ever one isn't chosen will have an indefinite working period, and no set release date (ItC will still be a 30 year anniversary album).

I apologize for any inconveniences/misunderstandings this may have caused.

I guess you're right. Maybe I'm being too harsh, probably due to bad experiences I had on past projects like almost none of them finishing and having my songs stealed in one of them.

Yeah man that sucks. That happens sometimes. Ya just gotta get back up and try again. :)

As for which project, I'd say BoF since you got on top of that one first. Unless this one is gaining more attention and you feel more towards working on this one instead.

While I'm not super familiar with all the source material, except for the more popular titles, I'm willing to help you out as co. I'll be able to make artwork for the Sonic 25 album anyway. So it's your call brah :)

Thanks for volunteering! I'll put you down. If you have any questions relating to the specifics (i.e. genre acceptability) just PM me.

I won't focus completely on the BoF album, but you'll have a good amount of say for igNoring thE craSh. I still want this out by next year, so we'll have to get a move on!

There's only aprox. 1 year, 2 months, and 1 day before the deadline.

On a side note: seeing as a review of the album could take up to three months, if we want to release this on time, we'll need to get this ball rolling. I'll be contacting some people to pique their interest as well,but ehm...

We're hiring guys! Come 'n claim tracks! :grin:

I'll send a WIP in for a Castlevania 3 track shortly. Some thoughts about the project concept below:

About track selection: almost all of those well known games have been covered numerous times. SMB1, almost all of Mega Man, the first Zelda and Metroid have been done numerous times in many different styles. The NES/Famicom Final Fantasy games have or will have full dedicated OCR albums.

I makes sense to include those well known games of course, but it'd be great if the directors and arrangers took care to pick tracks that are less arranged - such as on your list, from SMB3, the Airship and Athletic themes have no arrangements on OCR, which is good. And if the sources have been done already (SMB Overworld), do them in a style that hasn't been done before (you'll have to think hard about that!). Kid Icarus is a good game to do, a Nintendo original that hasn't been done to death.

There's a ton of games on NES, a huge variety of stuff with tons of less known but still great music. It'd be great to showcase that variety and unearth some gems for the people alongside the stuff they are already familiar with!

Overall I think this is a great idea for a project, it is timely and it's not too far away - this worked great for the Game Boy project reboot (coming out just next week!) so I do hope this gets off the ground. Good luck, and I'll be sending in my WIP soon!

Some very thoughtful remarks indeed! We were thinking about it the same way. There will be some well-known tracks to keep it recognizable, but if I have a lot to say about it (and it looks that I will ;) ) there will be enough tracks to honor the lost pearls of NES gaming.

And thanks for mixing! Much appreciated ^_^

I am liking the prospect of an NES tribute album. A lot of the big guns of the system (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc.) are already listed, but I'd like to throw a few title names out there that might get overlooked.

StarTropics

Shatterhand

Contra

Battletoads

Crystalis

Capcom's Disney games like Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers or Darkwing Duck

Dragon Quest/Warrior

Ninja Gaiden

There's plenty of other good stuff out there on the NES, but these are what came to mind first.

I agree with everyone about igNoring thE craSh, and have updated the first post to take this into account. We will try for at least 23 tracks, and aim for the "Lost Pearls", as BorgMan said, of the games' music. Again, anyone can audition, just send a PM with your claimed game, track, and if not a posted ReMixer, a link to your work. With only a year, we'll have to push to get this out. So, please, come and claim tracks!

I like the concept of this album and am willing to contribute a track. However, my roots being in the MSX scene and not so much in the NES scene I'm not sure which game to pick. There's quite a few games that were released on both systems (like Contra :P), so those are the most interesting to me.

From this list I'd pick either a song from Metal Gear, Bubble Bobble or Final Fantasy but not sure which one and which track. Unfortunately the OST from Metal Gear on the NES is so different that something like 'Theme of Tara' is no option.

From this list I'd pick either a song from Metal Gear, Bubble Bobble or Final Fantasy but not sure which one and which track. Unfortunately the OST from Metal Gear on the NES is so different that something like 'Theme of Tara' is no option.

Hey, all of those are fine, but something from FFII or III would be preferable (they only have 1 and 2 Mixes, respectively). However, if you feel you could pull off a good mix out of MG or BB, go right ahead!