OCR02269 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Shifting Islands"

djpretzel

I'm really enjoying all of the little chips n chirps throughout this piece. Just as soon as my ears zone in on one particular part is when I notice what seems like another layer beneath the one I was listening to. A really tight, solid mix with nice intricate parts throughout--I really enjoyed it all the way to the end...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Why was this reposted? Speed of sound came out a while ago. Size and bitrate are the only differences besides some small waveform change.

Is this one is supposed to be superior quality or just same but smaller?

Tracks from OCR Albums aren't automatically submitted to the judges. That's why you won't see all Sound of Speed tracks on the main OCR site individually.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this fondly from The Sound of Speed :) Having also remembered the halc / Insixfour collaboration thing fondly for what they did with Majora's Mask not too long ago (!!), I felt more than happy to see them team up again for the Sonic 1 album, even if they brought in a limey third man in the process.

"Marble Zone" may be seen as quite overdone, but there's definitely been some solid writing done in the chord progression and synth expression to give the backing an added lease of variety and adaptation within the album itself. The melodic motif has shown presence throughout, and to hear the B section going half-speed a couple of times here kind of reminds me of a similar approach I took on when I once arranged the same source, so I guess it could be seen as somewhat nostalgic. The build-down-and-up-again with the chiptune elements were also neat and managed to build in well to that colorful ending with Blake's freeforms being given the spotlight. I say you handled the source remarkably well - nothing straightforward, and nothing obscured either.

Blake's saxophone contribution here, I believe I almost thought was a synth brass sample in the trailer (well shut my mouth!!), but upon realising the saxophone part to be a live part in the end manages to add to that meandering atmosphere going on. Perhaps it might've been down to some sound processing on your end that made it sound that way (in which in that case more could've been done to the EQ to bring out its tone?), or maybe that's what Blake's sax is supposed to sound like at its highest ranges? Either way, the end contribution towards the already well-manipulated soundscape came out pretty, and can be seen as a more subtle yet potent component for the Sonic 1 album.

tl,dr: Nice work you three! And let's see more Insixfour magic coming in within the near future, yes? :)

thank ye muchly for the comments, everyone. <3

I remember this fondly from The Sound of Speed :) Having also remembered the halc / Insixfour collaboration thing fondly for what they did with Majora's Mask not too long ago (!!), I felt more than happy to see them team up again for the Sonic 1 album, even if they brought in a limey third man in the process.

"Marble Zone" may be seen as quite overdone, but there's definitely been some solid writing done in the chord progression and synth expression to give the backing an added lease of variety and adaptation within the album itself. The melodic motif has shown presence throughout, and to hear the B section going half-speed a couple of times here kind of reminds me of a similar approach I took on when I once arranged the same source, so I guess it could be seen as somewhat nostalgic. The build-down-and-up-again with the chiptune elements were also neat and managed to build in well to that colorful ending with Blake's freeforms being given the spotlight. I say you handled the source remarkably well - nothing straightforward, and nothing obscured either.

Blake's saxophone contribution here, I believe I almost thought was a synth brass sample in the trailer (well shut my mouth!!), but upon realising the saxophone part to be a live part in the end manages to add to that meandering atmosphere going on. Perhaps it might've been down to some sound processing on your end that made it sound that way (in which in that case more could've been done to the EQ to bring out its tone?), or maybe that's what Blake's sax is supposed to sound like at its highest ranges? Either way, the end contribution towards the already well-manipulated soundscape came out pretty, and can be seen as a more subtle yet potent component for the Sonic 1 album.

tl,dr: Nice work you three! And let's see more Insixfour magic coming in within the near future, yes? :)

yeah, my mixing job on this is pretty shitty by my own standards, looking back on it anyway. it's a good thing Bryan's arrangement was so hot. :P he actually wrote all the sax parts too (including the original bit at the end), which was originally a soundfont. Blake pretty much just played the parts verbatim, giving it his own expressiveness of course.

actually, now that I think about it, for some reason he had to send me the parts up like 2 half steps down or something, so the sax bits in this are actually pitched up and timestretched to fit in the key, which created a few off-key notes that I had to individually chop and shift to fit. pretty sure he offered to re-do it in the correct key some time later, but by then the project file had gone to shit, mostly due to some cracked plugins and samples that I stopped I stopped using completely.

as for Bryan, he's been pretty active musically, just not on OCR. no original releases or anything yet, but he's quietly becoming a force to be reckoned with. :D

Protodome in a mix that's over 2:30 long? Stop the presses :razz: !

This is a pretty classy take on the Marble Zone classic. I feel the mixing is off on the mix with the beat way too far in the front compared to the rest of the mix, and the mix needing to be louder. The mix doesn't do much fancy, but it isn't meant to as far as I can tell. It is more of a mood setter than anything else, so I can forgive that here :) . It does its job pretty well, I just wish the mixing were better :( .

• 2 weeks later...

Now my favorite Marble Zone remix happens to be Metamorphic Rock, but this take on it… well, it’s in its own league, and I mean that in the best way possible. Source comes in at 0:18 or so. Violin comes in at about 0:49. Classic halc chiptuna mastery comes in at about 1:25. More violin at 1:53. Breakdown at 2:27 or so, pure chiptunage follows until 2:46 when it all comes back. Simplicity from 3:22 or so until the end.

Wonderful song though; chiptunes usually are to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02269 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Shifting Islands"