Old 10-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Wes M., Double the Trouble! Director
Luigi (+2000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Reminds me of a dungeon exploration scene in an RPG just before a big boss fight. Personally, I like the very dramatic, deliberate percussion you've got going on, but I don't like the synth that came in during the first part of the song. I've heard synth pulled off well in an orchestral arrangement before, but it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb here, in my opinion.

And yeah, a climax would have been excellent here; what you've got feels like about half of a (quite excellent) song that didn't quite get enough time in the incubator. It's clear that you're a competent remixer though, I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Send a message via AIM to Proven Paradox
This has a great atmosphere, and as mentioned by others the cinematic feel strikes me as something that would be used in a movie or game--in fact, unless you object I may use this to set the mood in a DnD game sometime. It does seem to be lacking something though--others have mentioned lack of length, but if one tries to extend a piece longer than one wants, one risks dragging things out unnecessarily instead. I think what this needs is a better conclusion--the ending left me thinking, "So, wait, that's it?" A stronger, firmer ending would've helped more than a bit more length I think (hurr hurr double entendres).
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Jason Bagwell
Dan Hibiki (+50)

Send a message via Yahoo to LostChronos
have you ever worked with X Ray Dog Wing? This sounds a lot like the music they put out. Not to say it's bad, it is not! Short yes. Bad, no.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Martin K.
Simon Belmont (+2500)

Send a message via AIM to Martin Penwald
I like what's there, even though it's not much (speaking in terms of length). If the remix had been longer, it would've needed a real climax, IMO, or it would've drifted too much into BGM territory; the kind of BGM that's nice in the background but not particularly interesting to listen to on its own.

Also, I, for one, liked the synth.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Vinnie Prabhu, Judge
Simon Belmont (+2500)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Send a message via AIM to Palpable
Now that I've heard the source over and over in game (as opposed to when I judged this, which was my first time hearing the source), I can say... well, basically the same thing I was quoted as saying in the write-up. I love how the 6-note theme keeps drifting in and out on different instruments - the execution of that was brilliant. This is one of those mixes where almost all the interpretation is just in how the original pieces are used. There's little new material here, but a very distinct direction and voice.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Tanooki Mario (+1500)

Nice work with the sense of suspense and a lot of the orchestral elements. It does sound cinematic in some areas, which was good. A bit short, but very nice.

Tags
orchestral, strings, synth