OCR02332 - Zelda II "Zelda's First Trip to the 'Village'"

djpretzel

This mix is certainly on acid. There's a heavy dose of Smash Bros. samples here that I'm surprised that Dave didn't catch. I have a tough time figuring out how I feel about the mix - perhaps I'll post more on the future on it, it really is a tough cookie, although it does bring some amusement to my face and makes for a perfect random song to play.

There are ReMixes, and then there are Acid ReMixes. It's certainly creative and interesting. And as experimentally crazy, Dubstep filled and heavily sampled as it is, I kinda like it. The sources are easy to hear and while it is crazy, it still moves with a small bit of direction, like a method to the madness. Acid ReMixes aren't really my thing, but this alright with me.

note: youtube's hating again. ("spam, scams, and blah blah blah")

pretty sure other people noticed, but i thought it'd be fixed by now. =/

anyways, this reminds me of Daft Punk's brainwasher for some reason, and that's a good thing. some of link's sfx made this more funny rather than intimidating, but i guess it fits in with the bad trip vibe.

gggggyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuurrrrrgh

Wow, this is some seriously trippy stuff from Josh :o And a great cross-breed of not even styles but sources from 4 different games here.

Talking of which, why is it filed under Zelda 2 when most of the coverage came from Zelda 3's Hyrule Castle? I even did a source breakdown and everything and I honestly didn't sense much of the Zelda 2 source in comparison to the other sources represented.

That weird qualm aside, the detail taken to the instrument writing has shown a more artistic side than what you might expect from a multi-source track. Even the strings sound wonderful and realistic and managed to fit well in this half-symphonic half-electronic environment. The voice clips also seemed uncannily appropriate given the artistic direction, though to be fair I can probably also see why it was temporarily blocked from Youtube o_O

All in all, a very amusing mix with not much to fault; might rub off on some due to the quirky direction taken, but I like my quirks, so I am running cool with this one. Good going Josh :D

• 2 weeks later...

This song is a trip..., and it's one that seems to go everywhere with the style and the game samples (I hear SSB and OoT, but I'm not sure if that's all). It definitely doesn't get boring, but it sort of freaks me out. 8O I liked the use of strings, and I thought you did a good job switching between themes/moods. Good job, just not my type of music (I'm not sure what my type of music is, though). I look forward to hearing more from you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting intro. I always feel like I'm tripping out. Haha

Reminds me of Daft Punk. That's a good thing.

I love the samples that you use. At 0:47 you kick into a Dubstep type thing.

I'm not huge on dubstep, but I enjoyed it. Mad props man.

I love how you incorporated all of these sources into a mix like this.

I love playing the mix after listening to tonnes of Daft Punk.

• 2 months later...
Talking of which, why is it filed under Zelda 2 when most of the coverage came from Zelda 3's Hyrule Castle? I even did a source breakdown and everything and I honestly didn't sense much of the Zelda 2 source in comparison to the other sources represented.

Not a fan of remixes where you can barely identify the inspiration. That said, I think this should be moved under Zelda III. The majority of this theme draws its base from "A Link to the Past," plus the mentioned Smash Bros thrown in. There was nothing even recognizable from Zelda II until the strings at 2:45.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02332 - Zelda II "Zelda's First Trip to the 'Village'"