OCR01711 - Castlevania III "In the Beginning There Was Jazz"

Love Sam's playing in this. It gets so delicate at times and so full-out at others. Actually the drums too, but I think the piano is more noticeable. Great arrangement, but I too felt like bass would have rounded it out.

I downloaded it, and Shnabubula is not labeled as one of artists in my player.

If I recall djp's logic correctly, LSD is the artist so that's why they're credited that way on the MP3. But Sam is included as the artist on the site to make searches for him include this song.

There is an entirely too large deficit of jazz on this site, and so I go nearly insane whenever an amazing jazz remix like this one shows up. Superb, excellent, top-notch, [insert praising adjective here], keep it up!

We need a ReMix project for Jazz.

Before, I just commented that LSD was the only one mentioned as an artist in the mp3 file. But I realized that I didn't give any feedback for the actual song. There is nothing I can say except that this is now my new favorite song. Great job pulling it off.

Music like this is why I still listen to OCR. This is the totally expected brilliance that you always hear out of Shnabubula, but it never, EVER gets old.

djP's rant about Shnabubula in the writeup was totally inappropriate though. Seems to me like if he has a problem with what Shnabubula did, he can talk about it in a forum post, or most ideally, in private messages. Doing it like this is extremely petty and an obvious attempt to rub it in Shnabubula's face.

This is the totally expected brilliance that you always hear out of Shnabubula, but it never, EVER gets old.

Agreed.

djP's rant about Shnabubula in the writeup was totally inappropriate though. Seems to me like if he has a problem with what Shnabubula did, he can talk about it in a forum post, or most ideally, in private messages. Doing it like this is extremely petty and an obvious attempt to rub it in Shnabubula's face.

There was a thread and I spoke with Sam on both IRC and gchat; seems to me you might be uninformed. What I described in the writeup was very... diplomatically phrased, relative to the frustration and amount of time involved in dealing with dramarama on my end. Sam's banned from both the forums and IRC at the moment, and I'm in the weird position of posting the music of an artist who's banned from the site. I thought it warranted some form of comment; petty and obvious are the repeated, incessant attacks on Jill's website (and other sites, including this one), not my measured response to them. At any rate, your message is hypocritical, because if it was petty of me in the first place, it was equally petty of you to point out the pettiness on a mix review thread. As opposed to a PM, like you suggest. Oops++.

As opposed to a PM, like you suggest. Oops++.

lawl

In any case, freaking fantastic mix here. Less than a week ago I started learning the original by ear, but stopped because the original source isn't terribly extensive. Now I'm blessed with more material to pick apart.

I was to say I hope to hear more from these two... but I don't know how that'll turn out given the recent events. Great listen no less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You've just got to love when you find someone that just owns piano. Not plays, not uses, but PWNS the piano.

Shnabubula's mixes have a lot of surface area and irregularity which really works in a more traditional jazz sound, like it was always made for it. Or more likely because it was influenced by it in the first place.

I've never really noticed what an amazing duo piano and drums are. What an awesome audio relationship. And an equally awesome arrangement of the source. Great job, guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01711 - Castlevania III "In the Beginning There Was Jazz"