Mega Man 9

lazygecko

Why would you want that? You don't want Mega Man 10? :(

The series don't need to be bridged because despite what the fandom believes, the story in Mega Man games is only there to contextualize the game and is peripheral to what's really important: the game itself. These aren't RPGs and Capcom isn't really trying to tell a grand epic. Why do you think everything is so convoluted and inconsistent? They make it up as they go to give the game a framework. That's it.

Mega Man is Mega Man, X is X, Zero is Zero, ZX is ZX, and Legends is Legends. They take place in different time periods. We don't need games to tell us "what happened" between them because ultimately it's not all that important.

I usually agree with most of what you say, but this is one point where I must differ. Capcom, nay, Inafune himself has said the storylne ( Classic, X, Zero, etc) are all connected. Each another link in a rather long chain of events. Yet, they never really touch on HOW exactly that is. The whole Zero killing Wily bit is nonsense, since Zero didn't come online until after Sigma was created, thus the cutscene in X4. The Megaman/Quint theory is plausible, assuming the GB games are considered canon. If not, then WTF happened to him? X is sealed in a capsule for a minimum of thirty years for Lights tests to be completed on him before release, though evidence suggests he was in there for nearly 100 years. Classic MM is never heard from or about, so one could easily say X is actually classic Megaman in a new body and formatted memory so he could more readily adjust to the new emotions/decision making software Light included in the design. Protoman could have been captured by Wily and had some of his chips implanted in Zero, thus explaining why he and X have a brotherlike relationship.And Bass...well, it's as if he never existed, so God only knows. My point is, if you claim a series is all chained together, you should at least have the courtesy to show us the links, and not leave it to speculation. Good for fan fiction, yes, but still....

My point is, if you claim a series is all chained together, you should at least have the courtesy to show us the links, and not leave it to speculation.

You missed my point. It's not important to show how they're connected. All that's really needed is to say:

"Light built X and put him in the capsule."

"Zero sealed himself away after the Elf Wars and was found by Ciel."

"Zero, X, and the Four Generals became Biometals, along with Weil, who became a bad Biometal."

You don't really need all the details. The only people who really care about that stuff are the obsessive fans who over-analyze every piece of Mega Man story they can get their hands on like it's James Joyce or something. It's not an epic; it's not Lord of the Rings or Star Wars; it's a video game series about robots that shoot little robots that wear hardhats. Little robots that are hardhats.

Don't get me wrong; I like a little context in my platformers too, but ultimately stuff like how Classic and X link up isn't really important. I honestly hope they never tie it up and just keep making retro Mega Man games for console-download-stores. Give me a new one every year. I'll take Mega Man over Madden any day.

Don't get me wrong; I like a little context in my platformers too, but ultimately stuff like how Classic and X link up isn't really important. I honestly hope they never tie it up and just keep making retro Mega Man games for console-download-stores. Give me a new one every year. I'll take Mega Man over Madden any day.

a freaking MEN

DarkeSword, unlike you, I, and nearly any casual/hardcore fan of any story, value closure. Yes. Closure. Something that tells us that the story is over. In this case, I want closure to the Classic series that leads to a new beginning (X's beginning). In fact, I think I can speak for 90% of Mega Man fans when I say that we all do.

Not only is there a good chance that Wily didn't die by Zero's Sabre, but some theories place him in the events of Mega Man X6 (as that weird reploid with white hair, look it up). So I don't know where everybody's getting this "Wily was killed" crap.

I'm not asking for a Classic Mega Man with a RPGish type of story. How about just a 1-5 minute cutscene? Please Capcom! Anything! It's not much! Me love you long time?

Classic MM is never heard from or about, so one could easily say X is actually classic Megaman in a new body and formatted memory so he could more readily adjust to the new emotions/decision making software Light included in the design.

Inafune also said that Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X are two separate robots.

DarkeSword, unlike you, I, and nearly any casual/hardcore fan of any story, value closure. Yes. Closure. Something that tells us that the story is over. In this case, I want closure to the Classic series that leads to a new beginning (X's beginning). In fact, I think I can speak for 90% of Mega Man fans when I say that we all do.

Not only is there a good chance that Wily didn't die by Zero's Sabre, but some theories place him in the events of Mega Man X6 (as that weird reploid with white hair, look it up). So I don't know where everybody's getting this "Wily was killed" crap.

I'm not asking for a Classic Mega Man with a RPGish type of story. How about just a 1-5 minute cutscene? Please Capcom! Anything! It's not much! Me love you long time?

Inafune also said that Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X are two separate robots.

.........it's Mega Man. Not Metal Gear. I mean shit, I STILL don't know how any of the Mario games are connected...I lived.

What's wrong with running, jumping, and shooting robots? I mean shit, you should be happy you even GOT this game.

I'm pretty sure the gaping hole between the series is more or less deliberate. Several games, and other types of fiction do this. In Command & Conquer for example, it is never explained where Kane comes from, why he doesn't age and never dies. Because of this, fans make up all sorts of far-fetched theories about him, and Joe Kucan himself said that's the entire point.

But the story isn't over. It'll never be over as long as retro-MM games are viable, and I think that when MM9 comes out, we'll see that they're viable.

In other words, it shouldn't be over. Don't give me closure because then you're painting yourself into a corner. If Mega Man 9 ended with Mega Man's death and Light building X, where does that leave us?

It leaves us without Mega Man 10. I don't want to live in a world where Mega Man 10 is an impossibility.

It leaves us without Mega Man 10. I don't want to live in a world where Mega Man 10 is an impossibility.

On that note, I'd have to agree. I do want the stories connected together, but I've no need for them to hurry and get there. The longer they take, the more sequels they (hopefully) make. Although admittedly, I WOULD like them to explain Zero's design change for the GBA games. Assuming the X6 ending where Zero goes to sleep is the setup for the beginning of MMX, so far it seems as if someone merely changed his armor while he slept. Granted, he's in a new body during the MMX series, but when you fight his "Original" body, it looks just like the one he's in now! Ah, Inafking...fucking with your mind for fun and profit.

There's a big movement these days in getting back to simplicity in gaming; you see it in the indie market, and the (and I hate this term) "casual" market. What's old is new, and I think that with the advent of Mega Man 9--and digital distribution on consoles--we're going to see more and more "old-school" stuff.

I agree with this. Toki Tori and Pixeljunk Monsters spring to mind as good examples of this trend with digitally distributed games. I would also agree that if they came out with a new MM game annually for download like this, I would get it every time.

Also, looking forward to MM1 and 2 being available on the Virtual Console.

On that note, I'd have to agree. I do want the stories connected together, but I've no need for them to hurry and get there. The longer they take, the more sequels they (hopefully) make.

That pretty much sums it up for me. The only thing is, I kind of wish Mega Man 9 was the last one, but only because the next one would be Mega Man 10, and the roman numeral for 10 is X. Thus, it would directly lead into the X series. But that's just me being a perfectionist! :<

For all we know, they might never connect the two together. I also doubt that they'll be of the same reasoning as "Well X is the roman numeral for 10, so it HAS to connect it all!!"

I mean I want some kind of closure just as much as the next Mega Man fan, but in a way, I'm kind of glad they left the gap wide open on what happened, who dun it, etc. It lets my imagination run wild and rampant!

The next thing I'm about to say is going to piss off a lot of people, but it must be said.

...I think the Mega Man: Powered Up style could be pretty cool for more classic Mega Man... There I said it!

That pretty much sums it up for me. The only thing is, I kind of wish Mega Man 9 was the last one, but only because the next one would be Mega Man 10, and the roman numeral for 10 is X. Thus, it would directly lead into the X series. But that's just me being a perfectionist! :<

Yeah, because Mega Man X2 is obviously 11. Because X2 = 11, right?

:roll:

Link!

As for bridging the original series to X, I think an X game should explain it via flashback or something like that. As mentioned, if they explain it in the first series, then the first series will have been brought to its end. I'm fine with hinting that X and Zero are being built and stuff like that, but the grand mystery of what happens when it all goes down is best left either alone, or to the X series.