zircon & sgx place #3 and #6 in OurStage June - Thanks for the help guys!

zircon

It's the end of the month, and again several OCReMixers have made it into the final rounds at www.OurStage.com.

June 30th: Finals begin!

OCR artists represent with three tracks:

* zircon - Drum and Bossa

* sgx - Haven

* sgx - But Underneath All That

FAQ

What is OurStage?

A monthly song contest with tens of thousands of entries and dozens of genres. Anyone can enter for free - if you're an artist, you should too! Most of each month is spent determining the top 20 songs in any given category. In the last seven days of the month, only the top songs remain. The quarterfinals contain the top 20 songs of each genre, while the semifinals cut it down to the top 10 in each, to selet the #1 song in each genre. The winners of the semifinals all receive a $100 prize.

During the finals (on the last day of the month), the winners from the semifinals go on to compete against each other for a $5,000 grand prize.

Artists from OCR have been successful on OurStage so far, due in part to the assistance of people like you! Both Jill Goldin (pixietricks) and sgx have won the grand prize.

How can I help?

First, register an account at www.OurStage.com - it's free and takes less than a minute.

Then, click "Judge" and vote in the music finals, which represents the user-selected best songs from 48 different genre categories.

You will be presented with a pair of songs. You cannot choose which songs to vote on, as the system is randomized. Listen to at least 15 seconds of each song, and then select which song you like more, and by how much. When you vote favorably for a song, you encourage that song to move up in the rankings.

NOTE: Once you have listened to at least 15 seconds of any given song, you never have to listen to that song again for the remainder of the round (ie. quarterfinals). This will save you time when you want to vote quickly in hundreds of rounds.

Anything else I should know?

Please do not cheat to support OCR artists. Do not create alt accounts or use any kind of automated scripts. Do not simply vote against popular song ("voting down") to help us. No one in the running for the grand prize wants an illegitimate victory.

What's in it for me?

OurStage is a great place to discover new music. I personally have found a bunch of great artists there, and a ton of great songs. Plus, you get a sense of satisfaction knowing that you helped starving ReMixers :) Also, OCR artists who make it to the quarterfinals and beyond typically offer some kind of prize themselves. This month...

* I am offering a few CD downloads to a couple random people that sign up and help vote. Remember, there are three rounds where you can potentially vote, and there are a lot of "battles" you can participate in. Make yourself known and post here!

Lori Cunningham's track in techno/club/dance is really good. I like the vocals.

She wants to collab with us. We've been waiting for an opportunist to come along.

We got some votes in for your track "Rainforest Majesty" zircon. Nice, big, epic track. Awesome! (Have I said this already?)

Hey guys, if I win one of my two channels, I'll make my album Chroma available for free download for a day. If I win both channels, I'll make all of my albums available free download for a day. If I win grand prize, I'll make all of my albums available for free download for a week.

Vote for me! WOo!

wow i honestly didn't think i would get the chance and make it this far. Even though I rarely show up around these neck of the woods. But i must say the feedback i get here is jus simply amazing and it has helped me a lot as a musician. Im not going to give up till i impress the judges somehow. Im sure that one of my remixes will bound to pay off one day. Wish me luck guys..

Good luck, Jewbei! Great to see that the community has had a positive effect on your musical involvement.

I'm especially psyched for Andy's "Rainforest Majesty" track in New Age/World this month. My parents and basically everyone I have played it for can't get enough... It really does sound like something that would be playing for those epic, sweeping rainforest shots in an IMAX Omni Theater presentation! (Sorry... I just saw two such shows recently, so my mind is replaying images.)

Hey guys, if I win one of my two channels, I'll make my album Chroma available for free download for a day. If I win both channels, I'll make all of my albums available free download for a day. If I win grand prize, I'll make all of my albums available for free download for a week.

Sad thing is, I'd still probably buy the ones I don't have.

Well, not sad for you I guess.

Vote for me! WOo!

Sweet, cause of course voting for a song because its better than all the others is a dumb reason. Yup, better vote for whoever puts together the best bribe package.

Seriously though, I know $5000 is a sweet chunk of change, but I see this post as manipulative. </2cents>

Zircon and Audix both offered free copies of CDs to random folks who voted for them. Are they off the hook?

Ourstage sends newsletters occasionally suggesting ways for artists to get people to vote for them (and not just to vote in general). If getting people on the site to just vote for you is gaming the system, well, those who created and administer the game want you to play it like that. It is obvious they know that their system doesn't so much judge quality of songs, but is still in big part a popularity contest. They want more users on the site for the advertising.

I LIKE giving away my music for free. Last time I won, the amount of albums downloaded at their current prices was roughly equivalent to the $5,000 I won. Obviously not everyone who grabbed the free albums would have paid for it but doing that has mostly killed my sales since then. And I give it to anyone, not just those who voted.

Almost everybody who is going to Ourstage specifically to vote for me already has my albums - I'm mining the same audiences that 1)Probably already bought stuff if they wanted it and 2)Already grabbed free stuff two months ago.

Ourstage sends newsletters occasionally suggesting ways for artists to get people to vote for them (and not just to vote in general). If getting people on the site to just vote for you is gaming the system, well, those who created and administer the game want you to play it like that. It is obvious they know that their system doesn't so much judge quality of songs, but is still in big part a popularity contest. They want more users on the site for the advertising.

For the most part your right. Ourstage definitely needs to change their slogan.

This is a popularity contest and this has been proven month after month. This is extremely bias in totally unfair.

Your suppose to judge a song in determine whether it's better than the other. That's it. There should be no other strings attached. Whatever the artist offers you as a fan shouldn't matter. Just judge like you should. Sadly this is almost never the case.

"Let The Fans Decide" :whatevaa: whateva.

For the most part your right. Ourstage definitely needs to change their slogan.

This is a popularity contest and this has been proven month after month. This is extremely bias in totally unfair.

Your suppose to judge a song in determine whether it's better than the other. That's it. There should be no other strings attached. Sadly this is almost never the case.

"Let The Fans Decide" :whatevaa: whateva.

Well, the system works well in determining the quarterfinalists (top 20 in each genre). That's extremely hard to game. Also, I'd venture to say that a fan who is voting "by far" for their favorite artist regardless of who they are paired up against is still voting in the other battles fairly. Seeing that each artist (probably) has fans who are doing the same thing, it all evens out.