OCR00318 - F-Zero: Maximum Velocity "Laputan Colony GBA Dub"

Saunders

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 'Laputan Colony GBA Dub'

What is that? A vacuum? Oh.. it's an "engine."

Hmm Dub style? I'm not even sure what it is, but every time I've heard it I haven't been very fond of it.

And I can say the same thing for this mix, sorta quiet. Not much to say really. You'll have to hear it for yourself to be sure, but a sort of distant sounding mix, like there's lots of stuff going on, but there's very little going on at the same time. It's almost indescribable.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I really dig that reverbed timer-beep at the beginning. And throughout, really. Very chill; a little too chill for me. I can imagine some Rastas smokin' dope and kickin' back to this. I think the instrumentation could have been more realistic. I'm happy the drums weren't over-simplified; there's a satisfying complexity to them despite the ambience.

• 8 months later...

I liked the first few seconds of this. The drums and bass groove really well. The horns really aren't that great though. The delay takes awhile for to get used to...feels out of time with everything else. I liked the pan flute sounding thing at 1:48. That was cool. The fakeness of the samples doesn't bother me...it reminds me of a lot of other good dub influenced electronica.

Not sure if I'm keeping this. I'd have to listen to it a few more times. I think it definitely deserves more than 4 reviews though.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Very chill mix, that much is obvious.

The horns are quite fake sounding, although I can deal with it. The reverb-delay on everything is huge, and a bit distracting. An example is 1:42 where everythings just one muddled-reverb mess. Way too overboard.

I like that mutagene seems to have done what he set out to do, and appreciate what he's done to the mix, but it isn't my favorite.

YES! The in-game sound effects intro is type! Not familiar with this source, but I remember hearing a handful of F-Zero songs and all of them were rock tunes. Assuming this source was too, this is a great idea for a genre change. Making the target genre totally different from the source's original genre is definitely a plus. I'm terribly familiar with this genre of music either, but I can say that I like the horn action the most. The fading out horns at the end was interesting. The echoy drums throughout are groovy too. ^_^

• 11 months later...

I too am unfamiliar with the source (maximum velocity is the only f-zero game whose OST I haven't heard -_-), but I LOVE what you've done with this. The sound effects in the beginning are great and lead into a great reggae/dub mix. In a perfect world, I'd drive with this playing in a GTA game. Kudos.

A very nice, quite, chill mix that has a relaxing feeling that differs from actually playing the game. One of my favorite F-Zero mixes. I just love the chill, almost jazz-like mix. Love the intro because of the memories it brings back. the whole song develops nicely from there and maintains the enjoyable, laid back feel. Great Mix.

• 1 month later...

The intro with the race starting, the countdown, and all that was a nice touch.

imo, its overly minimalistic, so there's not a whole lot to work with, nowhere to really take this track, which seems ironic for an F-Zero theme.

For what it is, it's fairly good chillax music :nicework:, but I don't really care for it.

• 5 months later...

Parts of me sees this mix as a dub mix spread very thin, and other parts of me actually enjoy this. It is very opaque, and I don't think it adds to what it was trying to be achieved; ambience, resonance, minimalism, whatever. It doesn't so much feel controlled, but sort of undeveloped. The samples are dated, but I think that adds a little something interesting. The horns, at the very least, sound as fitting as they are unconvincing.

I'm really torn between whether I feel this or not. It's like a friend you don't really like, but you don't mind hanging around. Whether I like it or not however, this is still one of the most diluted mixes on the site. This won't win any popularity contest, that's for sure.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The intro is so goofy. It's like Captain Falcon says "fuck it" and decides to burn one at the beginning of the race.

Whenever I'd get to play a keyboard, I'd always just play the black keys and mess around. Most keyboards didn't have any sort of sustain or effect that you could put on them, so the sound was always kind of cheesy and dry. But at the same time it was comforting. I feel that way about a lot of this mix. Mutagene leaves some stuff really exposed and unprocessed here (especially that marimbaish sound that's panned hard right...or hard left maybe, I don't remember if my headphones are flipped or not haha). I don't even know if it was an intentional choice to do that or not, but I like it in a weird way because it makes me feel like I'm sitting there jamming on the keyboard.

I don't think the drums are as well done here as they are in other mixes of his. They're kinda trebley and thin in places, and they aren't as groovy either.

Even though I think the track is weaker than it could be, I still like this. There are some really neat delay effects, and the overall vibe is nice.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00318 - F-Zero: Maximum Velocity "Laputan Colony GBA Dub"