Left 4 Dead

Chiwalker

Here's an example:

No Mercy, stage 4. You're at the elevator, and you're about to press the button to go to the roof.

Now, you have two basic options.

The first option is to stand in the hallway and fight off every thing that comes at you.

The second option is to get into a place where you can defend only one or two sides.

What do you think people are going to do?

And even if they do hide in the closet, it's not the end of the game or anything. They still have to get to he roof, go through the construction, and get to the safe room. That's easily two or three minutes where you can still hit them.

Like I said, if the whiners had it there way, the survivors would constantly be in an open field with no cover. That, or at the bottom of a long, narrow canyon whee only the infected can drop down.

Seriously, closets are not a perfect defense. They aren't even a good defense. They're just a small, short-lived refuge from certain events.

Seriously, closets are not a perfect defense. They aren't even a good defense.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I believe you have to start from the beginning. All 5 stages through the scenario, and SURVIVE the final fight. Get on the boat, helicopter, whatever. That's what I did anyway.

You do have to start from the beginning; you can die during the campaign, but you have to be alive when the survivors are evacuated. You PERSONALLY don't have to be evacuated, but you MUST be alive when the evac vehicle leaves. I got Zombicial Maniac by being incap'd-but-alive on the roof of Mercy Hospital while the chopper took a lone survivor to safety (the other two players being dead already).

But then, I play the 360 version so maybe it works differently.

Best way to do akimbo assassin is to not pick up a gun at all. I had trouble with this cause if I got healed, it would automatically switch to your main weapon, and fuck you over.

As far as the expert campaigns, for the beat one expert mission, you have to play from start to finish, and survive. I got screwed out of it cause I died in the finale a few times. But even if you die and your team survives it does count towards your all 4 campaign total.

Closets are excellent if the people know what to do - the front two melee while ducking , with the back two shooting and then meleeing if they see someone pulled by a smoker, which makes it almost impossible to do damage to people in the closets.

The only situation where I've found the closet strategy a bit risky is in the finale on an expert campaign, where all it takes is one boomer to fuck you up when the tank comes, but the minimal damage from the horde is more than worth it.

I played with someone more annoying that Odin today. If you see anyone named seriouscamper, do not play with this person. I don't know if they were really new and stupid, or just an ass. They refused to wait on anyone, rushed ahead, would use their med packs when they got down to 80 health, and whenever the dumbass would get huntered or boomered, they would text spam "HELP MEH!!!" over and over.

Zombie wise, they did not score a single point up till NM3, when I finally called a kick vote against it cause the dumbass was a hunter, clawing my boomer and about killed me. When I called the vote, he then proceeded to call me a "meanie" and left.

Cool, Brushfire. I think I need to order those....wonder why I haven't done that yet?

And Damned, you don't have to stand in the hallway to fight everything that comes at you. You can get everyone to stand in the corner if ya want: it would take more than one person to defend the entire team. In a closet, the only time you need more than one guy is when a Smoker pulls someone...and assuming the other three people aren't making sandwiches or something, that smoker's pull never really goes anywhere.

No one wants the Survivor's to be in an open field at all times, which is why Blood Harvest is much less popular than No Mercy. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about closeting would be completely happy if that ONE closet were removed; it just makes that event a little too easy.

And I understand that the closet isn't a perfect defense as I imagine most people do, but you can't surely imagine that it's a bad defense, do you?

Now, I normally argue in the defense of closets, but Feliks and I came to this idea while talking yesterday. Considering you don't respawn in Versus as a survivor, why not simply lock and make invincible the closet doors? Sure, it doesn't get rid of say, bathrooms or other closet-like rooms, but the tiny spawn closets would cease being an issue.

That was one idea I threw around with him and I'm not entirely opposed to it in Versus Mode. But that said, I still do think hiding in a closet and taking a total defense is a smart tactical move and a valid strategy during certain events if things are looking bad for the survivors.

And Damned, you don't have to stand in the hallway to fight everything that comes at you. You can get everyone to stand in the corner if ya want: it would take more than one person to defend the entire team. In a closet, the only time you need more than one guy is when a Smoker pulls someone...and assuming the other three people aren't making sandwiches or something, that smoker's pull never really goes anywhere.

I know... I was just citing examples of people complaining. People don't want closets, so they might as well just say cover of any kind and be done with it.

Until they need cover, then it's a giant flip-flop and suddenly closets are vital.

No one wants the Survivor's to be in an open field at all times, which is why Blood Harvest is much less popular than No Mercy. I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about closeting would be completely happy if that ONE closet were removed; it just makes that event a little too easy.

And why only one? There are corner and doorways you can use as well. Might as well take out one or two doors while you're at it. And corner? Fill them up with boxes so no one can use them!

I was being facetious about that. People bitch about having any wall on any side of a player. The obvious solution is to remove all walls from the game. Suddenly, everyone is happy!

And I understand that the closet isn't a perfect defense as I imagine most people do, but you can't surely imagine that it's a bad defense, do you?

No, it's not a bad defense, it's just a situational one. You can't hold out in on indefinitely. Once the danger has passed, the survivors have to leave it, and then it's no longer of any use to them. That's why I don't get how Infected players can bitch about closets; once they leave it, those survivors are completely open to attack. They might as well complain how the survivors have projectile weapons and can heal themselves with medpacks.

I must say, despite lag, I am the best damn survivor I know. While everyone is getting wrapped or having their nipples ripped out, I'm a healing, reviving, Tank-Busting, Smoker-Stopping, Hunter-Hurting, Boomer-Blasting, Veitnam veteran on the edge!!

(There prolly isn't a lick of truth to that.)

I was however able to get a low ping of 187 today. A new record!

Brushfire, I hear ya. It seems like in general the L4D servers are worse off than TF2/CS servers...and I'm also on college internet that's wonky as hell. Double whammy.

And what's this about Bill dodging forklifts?

To answer your question, I was there. There was a Versus Mode game, and Big Giant Circles was the tank, and Bahamut was playing as Bill. BGC punched a Forklift at Bahamut to try to incap him, but oddly the forklift bounced off the ground in such a way that a nearly-sure shot ended up veering away just enough that it looked like Bahamut dodged it or... like, used the Force or some shit. BGC's angry ranting followed. And it became the gag of the night.

And week apparently. Don't you know? Green Berets have forklifts as favored enemies!

(There prolly isn't a lick of truth to that.)

Not from what I saw. I can confirm that Brushfire is indeed better than sliced bread. :D

I seem to be having some bad luck lately in this game. If I'm not getting incapped by a tank, swarmed by zombies, vommitted on, then swarmed by more zombies, I'm getting dragged through fire by a smoker, swarmed by zombies and pounced on by a hunter. I need to get my mojo back.

Also, Francis is mentally handicapped when AI controlled, though I find his worship of open manholes intriguing.

I just got this game about a week ago, and it's amazing. I really suck as a boomer though, get blown up ineffectually too often.

Are you guys all playing on the same server somewhere?

Also, I don't know what you all are on. Bill is cool, but Louis is THE MAN. No contest. He doesn't even need the force to repel forklifts, he just glares at them and they run and hide.

No way...Bill is definitely the best. All and all my favorite character.

@ Nyuura: I have not seen that, but I'm downloading it now. Looks very interesting. But how would I go about making a single player game and just playing as a hunter?

I actually found something out as a hunter last night: if you put your back up against the wall and jump straight up, while holding your 'S' key...you can continually walljump straight up if you keep clicking.

Seriously. I haven't really looked into the application much (my internet...meh), but it did help me to get 2 25 damage pounces on 2 different survivors yesterday (on the same map, same round).

But how would I go about making a single player game and just playing as a hunter?

"How to play maps You download a map and put a .bsp file in Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\maps And a game begins when I input it with "map l4d_vs_hunter_city_b1" from a console. If you are a survivor, I push the M key, and please become an infected."

"How to play maps You download a map and put a .bsp file in Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\maps And a game begins when I input it with "map l4d_vs_hunter_city_b1" from a console. If you are a survivor, I push the M key, and please become an infected."

You might have to work some other ninja magic to get the system to let you switch to infected. If you can't switch:

sv_cheats 1 (turns on cheat options)

sb_all_bot_team 1 (lets the survivor team be bots)

sb_stop 1 (makes the bot team not move/complete the level)

then hit M to switch

also, if you spawn as something you didn't want to be, type "kill" in the console to suicide and respawn