Anyone else have a 30GB zune problem

zead-head

I saw the story on msn, and checked my Dad's zune.

Yeah, that's really garbage.

I'm not full of microsoft hate like others are at this point, but that is quite a mistake.

My understanding is that they forgot to include the leap year, so today doesn't exist. That doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, but yeah...

No, it seems that this year had not only an extra day, but also an extra second. Leap seconds occur when you have to factor in for drifting in the total amount of time per year over several decades or centuries. Basically, we aren't getting exactly 365 days to the second, we're getting slight variations each year due to all these factors, like the orbit of the Earth around the sun... it's complicated... but they add these little bits here and there to make the modern calender work.

I suppose a wikipedia link would be better.

I guess no one told MS about it this year. With all those people working on things, you think they would have had at least one person notice it.

I'm sorry, but I laughed my balls off when I heard this. I feel so bad for Zune consumers. Microsoft's consumer confidence was already in the can - now it's in the BALLS.

I, too, don't want to ever buy an Apple product because I don't like the format and layout. I'm happy with my Rio (and my Samsung Instinct fone = MP3 player :P).

I sympathize with the anti-Apple sentiments, but the Zune may not be a great way to go. Surprise.

I used an Archos Gmini 402 camcorder for about 2 years, and loved it until the battery decided to randomly become engorged and break out of the casing. Archos wanted $80+ to fix it, I wanted to know what the hell happened. Bad battery, they claimed. Really.

Conversely, I got an ipod shuffle for Christmas this year, and the second time I tried to upload a playlist, I found 160+ megs of "other files" that I couldn't remove or find -- a not uncommon problem, apparently. The thing that really irks me about it, however, was Apple's lack of an explanation. They simply suggest restoring the ipod. Which, really, is what I've always disliked about Apple -- the whole "user friendly" attitude that supersedes my nerdy desire to understand my machine. I guess hippies love it though, so *shrug*.

Moral of story: my old Emerson CD player with built-in FM transmitter ($20) is still the sexiest piece of music hardware I've ever owned. Lasted 6 years before the motor finally couldn't turn discs anymore.

I love my zune this is the first problem i have had with it and i refuse to support anything apple.

why refuse to support anything apple? Ive got an ipod and a macbook pro and man that stuff just works without any problems at all. But i should say that I use a PC for alot of stuff like word processing and music production, which somehow feels clumsy for me on a mac

Hey all, typing this on my Microsoft Vista desktop whilst listening to my 120 gigabyte iPod, no problems here :-)

thats like mating a siberian tiger with a bloated warthog. my dad gave me vista and i "downgraded" back to XP. Vista is teh suck

Ive got an ipod and a macbook pro and man that stuff just works without any problems at all.

That reminds me of a guy I worked with for a short time, he told me that he liked Macs because they didn't have problems, period. It wasn't that fact that he was one of the Mac support guys for the school board(if they didn't have problems, why is he there?) that made me giggle, it was the fact he was actively fixing printer problems on 30(give or take) Macs.

Not taking a shot at you or anything, a lot of people go through the life of their computer without problems, be it OSX, Windows, Linux or Unix.

edit:Oh, and I refuse to use ipods because they are over priced MP3 players. You can pay less and get more from other brands.

meh, I've had a fricking ton of computer problems. And im not a mac enthusiast to the death, like i said Ive got a PC and I use both of em to do different things. But an image of my University days comes to mind when i would see people with their PC laptops literally falling apart all the time. Ok, I know alot of brands are selling in the PC laptop market, but still

I bought my ipod offmarket... a 60 gig video ipod... a firiend of mine got a shipment and I scored one cheap... haha... but arnt all electronics over priced at the end of the day? Don't a billion and 1 people have an ipod and shouldn't that cause complaints to be more front and center... I still think ipods are great even though there is alot of hate

and I had another mp3 player before i got my ipod... i cant even remember what it was called and google images did help. my search for "old green mp3 player" turned up ipods and this image below. I much prefer the ones inbetween the phones

LG-SV280%20Phone.jpg

Why does a discussion of Zune or iPod failure inevitably devolve into a discussion of Mac vs PC... which not only omits GNU/Linux/(Free/Open/Net)BSD/anyotheroperatingsystemmadeforx86(_64) on the sides of both "pc" and "mac", but really has nothing to do with a Zune or an iPod?

...and really. It's not that the Zune is inferior. It's that its firmware/software happens to fail in one regard. Same goes for the association of an iPod with its firmware and the dominant operating systems for the PC and Mac associated with those platforms. (and the Mac isn't much different from a PC anymore anyway...)

tl/dr: we're given hardware with software/firmware that limits our way of using said hardware. fail :(

emot-words.gif

The so called Mac vs. PC debate or what really ends up being a Microsoft vs. Apple debate is a sad part of the internet. Often the debate ends up being just a fanatical expression of brand loyalty with little substance. Other OS's do not generally get dragged into this debate for so many reason, limited effect on popular culture, fragmented user base(its not Linux, it's Ubuntu, it's Gentoo, etc.), smaller user base, the quite little geek voices just don't get heard :P

The hardware and the basic principles between Windows PCs and Mac PCs may be the same now, but what each OS is attempting to do and how they go about doing it is still very different. Each has its uses, each do something things very well and others very poorly. Each has its place.

An emoticon of me doing this: emot-words.gif

rofl..

I seek not to continue such discourse after you've so pwned me thusly, and justly so.

(But I essentially agree with your statements until I can work up the energy and focus to compare them with my own beliefs and find/make up differences for the sake of rhetoric! :sleepdepriv:)

In terms of apple hate, I use to be so anti apple it was sad. Macs still are inferior to me cause I love to game, but after buying my 80 gig 5.5 gen ipod video, I would refuse any other brand of mp3 player. I've had this bad boy 3 years now and its freezed maybe 3 times, and the battery life is awesome on it. Plus itunes is not the demon that people make it out to be.