Source Material

Last month winner was Gario

Gario - Magma Palace - MIDI

Gario - Magma Palace - MP3

Good luck everyone.

Deadline

19th April Midnight US East Coast

ORC

The contest is a monthly contest so the deadline is programmed to be the 3rd sunday of the month. Voting stage will follow till the 4th sunday of the month. Next context will start again the first of the next month.

The Quick Rules Rundown

Step 1 -Submission:-

1. Anyone can enter regardless of your remixing ability.

2. Filesize is limited to 8 meg.

3. You may only enter one piece. but can collab on a second one.

4. When you've finished your entry, post it in the compo tha sauce system. HERE.

5. You may submit your piece as a MIDI, MP3 or OGG file.

Step 2 -Vote:-

Voting will be done via Thasauce. Voting stage will last 1 week from the 19th to the 26th Midnight .

About the comment:

You are now allowed to comment anytime EXCEPT during the voting stage..

that mean that once a mix is posted, you can feedback it, until the submission process is over. Remixer are able to fix/enhance it until the deadline. The date in the PM/Email will be used to upload the most recent one.

About a draw in the result:

It happen sometime. Both remixer are still officially Winner, but i'll ask the remixer with the less "Win" to send me his song.

Chillout Gario
Don't worry, I'm chill... I've just got that bad experience with Sir_Nut's remix not getting anything still fresh in my mind (and this looks a bit similar, so far, but like you said we've still got a week). It is a bit complicated as a midi (much like Nuts' song was)... I'm still holding the faith, though, don't worry :)

Thanks for the reassurance :)

The source (well, any source for this competition) is from a body of midi works that I have. Sadly, I don't have a midi-maker that I'm satisfied with, right now (Anvil just doesn't work for me), so I can't quite make anything specifically for this competition, atm.

I would if I could, but I can't. Hell, I've actually had this floating around OC for a while now (look at the OHC021 compo - I actually used it there because I couldn't make anything that week :P). I don't think that's against the rules, and it is much more satisfying when people remix a work that you really put your heart into (this particular track, to get it just right, took me 3 weeks, for example).

This was written for a game that I'm working on (that is currently on indefinite hold... we'll see if I ever get it done). What makes you bring this up?

I have this hypothesis that when one produces material specifically for ORC it tends to be an uninspired piece of work and is thusly uninspiring to remix.

I read your post lamenting a lack of interest and thought to see if my theory applies here - it appears not. I've not actually listened to it, so I'll assume it was painfully obvious that it was not put together quickly and that I've embarrassed myself by bothering to ask.

cheers.

It's alright, I understand your hypothesis (and what you were asking). Frankly, I think that when a mix is very dense and doesn't have a very strong melodic element it more often than not won't have much attention (although I can understand what your saying, too).

I was a bit worried about people participating because my mix IS pretty dense. It looks like there is some interest, so I'm patiently awaiting the submissions. :-P

Oh, and go listen to it - it's pretty cool :<.

Yup, I came to the same conclusion, before; I'm glad you can see why I may have been worried, then 8O.

It looks like there are people interested, though, so I'm not really fretting about it, right now :-P.

Sadly, most of my midi music is pretty thick like that (or blatantly atonal, which wouldn't make for very good remixing...), so I have a difficult time trying to pick what I want to post here (especially if I'm dealing with GM... I made the music with Soundblaster Live, where it sounds just fine, but even the mp3 has difficulty conveying the balance it has...).

That way I won't end up being Gario's Fanclub chairman! :grin:

Hey, a fanclub! Sweet...

I THINK I hear some of the source in there... but it's hard to make out in some parts (and that's coming from the composer, so I bet it's even harder for everyone else), lol. It's still awesome though. :-P

For our next submission, we need a Pacman soundalike...

| . |. . . . .| - |. . . .| - |

| . |_____| - |____| - |

|. .:< - - - - - - - - - - | /\/\/\/\ Pacman for the Atari 2600 /\/\/\/\

----------------------------

Nevermind, that would suck.

Right, here's my mix, the first mix I've made with my shiny new copy of FL Studio 8, yay. It even has a hastily-invented backstory, huzzah, lol.

http://rapidshare.de/files/46773722/setokaibarocket_-_Wrath_Of_The_Fire_God___Escape_From_Magma_Palace__ORC118_.mp3.html

Wrath Of The Fire God ~ Escape From Magma Palace

0:00-2:07 ~ After turning the place upside down looking for loot, defeating fire elementals all the while, your brave party come across the lord of the palace, who isn't feeling very amiable as a result of the intrusion and the slaying of his underlings. A fierce battle ensues in the throne-room.

2:07-3:10 ~ Victorious, and with your inventory feeling substantially heavier, you return to the world map of the fire realm in search of your next quest.

It even has a hastily-invented backstory, huzzah, lol.

lol, hey, I have a backstory, too; unfortunately it's very long and complicated so I can't share it >.<.

I won't be hurt if it isn't at ThaSauce, but it may affect Setokaibarocket's chances of winning the compo...

EDIT: I just listened to it... Very, very nice... especially the victory song (not to mention the Konami pause lol)... now hurry up and put it on the site!