OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

• 1 month later...
Nah. Though FF5 parts 3-5 could use a compo or four to get the final stuff complete. :-)

I am indeed collecting those, but there's no plans for a formal FLAC release yet. One project at a time, but it's something I'm privately maintaining for now. Once the new torrents come out, and ReMixers see these updates have in fact happened, I think artists who haven't responded to my callout for lossless versions before will then also come out of the woodwork.

Personally, I think that 24-bit versions of remixes are more important than lossless versions. Properly compressed WMA 24/96 can be as little as 12-13MB per song, which is far less than a 16/44.1 FLAC.

Most professional music is mixed at 24-bit, and most production programs provide the ability to render in 24-bit as well. Even if the original samples aren't 24-bit, there should still be some improvement when they are mixed together.

FYI, I've been compiling statistics about remixes recently, as people were talking about final fantasy 5 - but I'm not sure we need more FF remixes. About 9% of all remixes I've identified from the remix community are of final fantasy 6 - alone. That's 1 in 11 remixes of any video game that's ever been published.

Edited by quintin3265

Hi. I'd like to personally reply to a few things here. Good post. :-)

Personally, I think that 24-bit versions of remixes are more important than lossless versions. Properly compressed WMA 24/96 can be as little as 12-13MB per song, which is far less than a 16/44.1 FLAC.

I disagree, I think MP3s are the most important. It is the main format more than wma, which I haven't really heard of people using anymore but I'm sure there's a lot of folks who do. But it's definitely not the MAIN thing.

Most professional music is mixed at 24-bit, and most production programs provide the ability to render in 24-bit as well. Even if the original samples aren't 24-bit, there should still be some improvement when they are mixed together.

That may be the case, maybe for ProTools, I use Cubase 6 and the options I've seen are for 32-bit or 16-bit. I'm not sure but I think it records in 16-bit, I suppose I should have been paying better attention to that but it didn't seem all that important to me simply because a WAV has to be 16-bit to burn on a CD-r. I'm sure there are ways to record in those other bitrates, probably even 24-bit, but in regards to burning to CD or even just listening, you would not hear the difference between a 16-bit WAV or a 24-bit WAV with your ears. I doubt you'd hear difference between a 24-bit MP3 and a 16-bit MP3 at 192kbps.

Maybe it'd be more apt to suggest raising the max bitrate on OCR to 320kbps instead of VBR1 but even that does not seem necessary as the VBR1 really gets up there in quality -- I've seen my own VBR1s average as high as 271kbps, it depends on the song. I don't think you hear much difference between 192kbps and 320kbps, maybe in some specific or extreme examples.

FYI, I've been compiling statistics about remixes recently, as people were talking about final fantasy 5 - but I'm not sure we need more FF remixes. About 9% of all remixes I've identified from the remix community are of final fantasy 6 - alone. That's 1 in 11 remixes of any video game that's ever been published.

I disagree that we don't need more FF mixes, and I think A FF5 compo to help with further chapters would be a brilliant idea and would love to participate in that. It's never been a matter of "what OCR needs" or even what the community needs as far as any game is concerned, OCR has always accepted remixes from any game or series that is applicable and it's all up to the artists to choose what they want to cover. If that's a whole lot of FF mixes, then they choose it for a reason. The series has some really amazing music. Especially the first three. :twisted:

And this is why we never let mathematical logic govern musical preference.

There's pretty much a whole project's worth of Final Fantasy VI remixes on the site alone, but OCR just made $80,000 for an FF6 project, so clearly the people can't get enough.

Personally, I'd be cool if Slam Shuffle was remixed more often. That's the only song from the game that hasn't been remixed for OCR that's worth a damn. Most everything else is overrated, overdone, or boring.

Edited by KyleJCrb

There's pretty much a whole project's worth of Final Fantasy VI remixes on the site alone, but OCR just made $80,000 for an FF6 project, so clearly the people can't get enough.

Personally, I'd be cool if Slam Shuffle was remixed more often. That's the only song from the game that hasn't been remixed for OCR that's worth a damn. Most everything else is overrated, overdone, or boring.

that is such an awesome song that needs more love.

Hi. I'd like to personally reply to a few things here. Good post. :-)

I disagree, I think MP3s are the most important. It is the main format more than wma, which I haven't really heard of people using anymore but I'm sure there's a lot of folks who do. But it's definitely not the MAIN thing.

That may be the case, maybe for ProTools, I use Cubase 6 and the options I've seen are for 32-bit or 16-bit. I'm not sure but I think it records in 16-bit, I suppose I should have been paying better attention to that but it didn't seem all that important to me simply because a WAV has to be 16-bit to burn on a CD-r. I'm sure there are ways to record in those other bitrates, probably even 24-bit, but in regards to burning to CD or even just listening, you would not hear the difference between a 16-bit WAV or a 24-bit WAV with your ears. I doubt you'd hear difference between a 24-bit MP3 and a 16-bit MP3 at 192kbps.

Maybe it'd be more apt to suggest raising the max bitrate on OCR to 320kbps instead of VBR1 but even that does not seem necessary as the VBR1 really gets up there in quality -- I've seen my own VBR1s average as high as 271kbps, it depends on the song. I don't think you hear much difference between 192kbps and 320kbps, maybe in some specific or extreme examples.

I disagree that we don't need more FF mixes, and I think A FF5 compo to help with further chapters would be a brilliant idea and would love to participate in that. It's never been a matter of "what OCR needs" or even what the community needs as far as any game is concerned, OCR has always accepted remixes from any game or series that is applicable and it's all up to the artists to choose what they want to cover. If that's a whole lot of FF mixes, then they choose it for a reason. The series has some really amazing music. Especially the first three. :twisted:

To be exact, the number of FF6 remixes, not counting overclocked remixes, is 127, enough for about 10 projects :)

I think an FF5 compo would be great. Don't get me wrong on that. But when a compo is dedicated to FF5, there is what economists call an "opportunity cost," or the time and money lost doing something when something else could be done instead. If remixers can produce 30 FF5 remixes in a month, then one presumes they could also produce 30 Tales series remixes in that month, and the Tales series has some good music that has not been remixed.

Changing topics to the 24-bit discussion, I can definitely hear a difference in 24-bit music. This discussion actually came up at the VGMdb forums recently, and one of the points was that many people listen to remixes using poor-quality equipment: computers with integrated motherboard audio, cell phones, earbud headphones, and the like. You need better equipment, first of all. I listen on a 9.1 receiver and stream the audio using foobar2000 for the receiver to decode, so that the computer is out of the loop.

But second, I think that many people don't realize that Windows defaults to 16-bit audio, and few people know how to change it. You need to right-click on the volume control icon in the taskbar, display the audio devices, click properties for the device you're using, and set the bit depth and sampling frequency higher. People who didn't make this change will never hear any difference because the output is always 16-bit by default.

If you want to experiment with lossless and 24-bit video game remixes yourself, click on the banner in my signature and search for "djthesdotcom." Most of his music is 24-bit lossless. The MP3 versions of the songs are auto-converted from the exact same 24-bit files, so it's a fair comparison. You can be the judge of whether the bit depth is noticeable or not. I personally notice a slight difference. It's not like the difference you hear in Santana's "Shaman" DVD audio, but I attribute that to lack of knowledge in the video game community of 24-bit mastering, which will improve over time.

I think an FF5 compo would be great. Don't get me wrong on that. But when a compo is dedicated to FF5, there is what economists call an "opportunity cost," or the time and money lost doing something when something else could be done instead. If remixers can produce 30 FF5 remixes in a month, then one presumes they could also produce 30 Tales series remixes in that month, and the Tales series has some good music that has not been remixed.

Good music isn't an assembly line product. Assuming that one can create a Tales remix just as quickly and skillfully as a Final Fantasy remix or vice versa is so far off the mark. It's not a mechanical process; people make good music with what they feel is the right stuff to work with. This isn't a factory, and remixers aren't employees that take parts and piece together a contraption with enough time for the next set of parts to arrive. People remix what they want to remix, and people ask for what they want to hear. You can't just say "We need more Tales remixes, let's devote the OCR resources to pushing that." It doesn't work like that. Of course, you can offer incentive. But that's not the point.

Edited by Neblix

If remixers can produce 30 FF5 remixes in a month, then one presumes they could also produce 30 Tales series remixes in that month, and the Tales series has some good music that has not been remixed.

This is assuming you can find 30 remixers that are interested in arranging Tales music, AND willing to do it very quickly. It doesn't matter how good the music is if nobody is interested enough in remixing it. Remember, I spent over 4 years trying to get 50 songs from Tales games remixed. These days, with so many other projects for much more popular games vying for attention and remixers, I don't know if it would even be possible to pull off. For example: Dragon Quest is another example of a series that is well-liked and known for its excellent music, but the Dragon Quest 1-3 project has been stalled almost from the get-go because it has been very difficult to find remixers for a project that covers something that's not all that popular in the west.

By the way: Dave announced in the newest write-up that the torrent update would be coming in the next two weeks. There is a caveat, however: he didn't say which date the next two weeks would be from, so I'm sure it's still slated for two weeks from some date in 2016.

Edited by KyleJCrb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I see you guys updated the entire song list torrents and broke them up into 3 separate torrents.

Are all of the songs represented in the collections and compilations torrents in the 1-2500 song torrent packages?

ie if I download all 1-2500 I will have all the music in the various game tribute, compilations, and project torrents? or do I need to download those separately?

I hate to bump a topic and ask a somewhat unrelated question, but here goes.

What are the chances we can have updated torrents for albums with the new tagging system? Recently I put some of the albums on my PS3 and the newer ones have all the songs in the correct order, however albums like Voices of the Lifestream had a messed up order. Not to mention a few of the torrents don't even come with an mp3 option.

Also why do the way artists names are written differ on the album files and the corresponding OCRemix files? (Album shows artist as "Artist 1, Artist 2" but on the OCRemix file [if there is one], it's sometimes "Arist 2, Artist 1". Could we for future reference try to keep these the same?

What are the chances we can have updated torrents for albums with the new tagging system? Recently I put some of the albums on my PS3 and the newer ones have all the songs in the correct order, however albums like Voices of the Lifestream had a messed up order. Not to mention a few of the torrents don't even come with an mp3 option.

Definitely aware of these issues with the old albums, just like I was while working on the main torrent update. It's not a main priority (for now), but I can't imagine I wouldn't tackle it at some point.

Also why do the way artists names are written differ on the album files and the corresponding OCRemix files? (Album shows artist as "Artist 1, Artist 2" but on the OCRemix file [if there is one], it's sometimes "Arist 2, Artist 1". Could we for future reference try to keep these the same?

For albums, I generally order the artists in a collab by share of credit or whatever order the primary artist gives. For OC ReMixes, we order them alphabetically, as they're generally displayed on mix pages the same way (and have the benefit of writeup pages for context). Unless djp had an issue, I don't see a reason for a change. The albums are different entities from the individual mixes, and they have their own separate but consistent tagging style.

If you're trying to update artist names to match/for consistency, I have a fairly extensive (probably incomplete) list of artist name changes which I posted in the Torrent announcement thread. Here's the post: http://ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=898405&postcount=115

After I had updated/integrated the OCR update into my existing library, I used this reference list to find artists who still had their "old" names in the album releases (and in VGMixes and what not) so I could update them to match the "current" or official OCR artist name. I like to be able to find all mixes by a given artist quickly either by file search or by mp3 tag. Hope that helps!

I am trying to seed all of the torrents available on OCR and I found a couple of issues. For reference I am running uTorrent 3.2.3 on Win7 SP1 x64, and I can verify that my ports are being properly forwarded.

1st Issue:

For "THE ANSWER - Armored Core Tribute Album" I am unable to get any peers from either "http://bt.ocremix.org/announce" or "http://bt2.ocremix.org/announce" trackers. The status for the former is "HTTP Error 400" and the latter "HTTP Error 500."

2nd Issue:

It seems for all of the torrents that use the tracker "http://bt2.ocremix.org/announce" the status is "HTTP Error 500" and the tracker is not providing any peers.

Thank you for your time and effort running OCR.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue/error as evilaman on THE ANSWER - Armored Core Tribute Album -

Impossible to download that album, this is sad because it's said to be among the best :(

Having also issue on Missile Master, Episode 1 - Invasion Original Soundtrack

Getting Error: Offline - Tracker authentication failed

Impossible to download