Zech! A Secret of Mana Wankery

Nase

hahahaha wow, I didn't until now place who Skowriz was!! You're Nassenman!!! aahhhh okay. Anyway, great job! Man, I had no clue from your OCR posts that you were the same dude I've been talking to and that you have years of hardcore tracking experience and can absolutely murder people with famitracker if you see fit.

Brilliant work.

0_0'

0_0

Edit: *ahem* ARE YOU FOR SERIOUS?!

Edit again: ... I can't even tell what's from the original game audio and what's not. Your samples are horrible.

I won't lie to you, this is so much crap I'll never be able to sit on a toilet for as long as I live.

Hiroki Kikuta is spinning in his grave and drilling a hole to Sudan. You have ruined universal melody and God will punish you for it.

That might've been a bit harsh my friend.

I don't think this guy was trying to make a rearrangement, I think he's just trying to be funny.

Dicking around with the SoM soundset some more. Mucho wank, ADHD, medleyitis, and failed attempts at sounding epic. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nmmiemozhy2

That's not something I would enjoy.

Come back when you're serious about making a rearrangement.

Ok, this is awesome. The Dark Lich theme has never sounded more happy-go-lucky badass. And all with a discotastic finish! Nice work.

I can't even tell what's from the original game audio and what's not. Your samples are horrible.
lol, so because YOU don't know the game well enough to tell what's what, the samples are horrible?

Ok, this is awesome. The Dark Lich theme has never sounded more happy-go-lucky badass. And all with a discotastic finish! Nice work.

lol, so because YOU don't know the game well enough to tell what's what, the samples are horrible?

The samples are bad quality because they sound just like the game. I've never played this game, but I don't need to to tell what sounds like game music and what doesn't. It sounds like he just put a drum beat, with moderate MIDI-ish stuff to go along with it. I can't be sure unless he provides a source.

This is something you would find on OverLooked Remix.

I'm not gonna go and say this isn't a good song...

It's just too much of a joking around kind of song, it doesn't sound like something you would take seriously. If you have any doubts on that statement:

Dicking around with the SoM soundset some more. Mucho wank, ADHD, medleyitis, and failed attempts at sounding epic. Enjoy.

This guy wasn't taking it too seriously.

Bwahahahah!

It ith what it ith. I find it close to unbearable at this very moment (just woke up), but was going totally apeshit over it last night.

Weird thing with the names, Shna. So I was two persons to you...Now I'll have to piece together who I was when...

As for the song: This is actually better than much of the original stuff in the game.
Noitisnt.
Your samples are horrible.

Dude, all the samples are from the game, that's kind of the point of the whole thing.

Come back when you're serious about making a rearrangement.

Why so serious? Ok, serious it is:

I think you're one of the newbs on a mission to make this a more boring place, a 'quick learner' that sneaks in authoritative undertones into his posts after having been here for a year, which reflect what he perceives to be the general OCR mindset.

Lighten up, k? It's possible to post something on here without wanting it to be posted on the site.

And yes, you could say the piece is a joke, but a pretty ambitious one at that. It's a serious joke! ;)

I think you're one of the newbs on a mission to make this a more boring place, a 'quick learner' that sneaks in authoritative undertones into his posts after having been here for a year, which reflect what he perceives to be the general OCR mindset.

Lighten up, k? It's possible to post something on here without wanting it to be posted on the site.

And yes, you could say the piece is a joke, but a pretty ambitious one at that. It's a serious joke! ;)

I support this assessment.

Plus, if a former judge/ OCReMixer/ musician extraordinaire calls it "Brilliant work", there's probably something more to it than a poor sample quality joke mix worthy of OLR :lol:

Bwahahahah!

It ith what it ith. I find it close to unbearable at this very moment (just woke up), but was going totally apeshit over it last night.

Weird thing with the names, Shna. So I was two persons to you...Now I'll have to piece together who I was when...

Noitisnt.

Dude, all the samples are from the game, that's kind of the point of the whole thing.

Why so serious? Ok, serious it is:

I don't have a "General OCR mindset." Only judges have that. And by the way, the assessment is poor. You don't know me, and you have never spoken to me before. Don't assume what people are like. What you "think" is wrong. :)

Whether I'm a newb or not shouldn't matter to you.

I'm just saying I wouldn't intentionally put something on the WIP forum and say it's bad. I wouldn't say anything actually.

And when I said joke I meant that you were joking when you made this.

Anyways, let's get back to the remix discussion...

The samples are poor quality and it's a big medley. I don't know if you have any intention to fix those problems, but I'd like to hear this when those problems are fixed.

I support this assessment.

Plus, if a former judge/ OCReMixer/ musician extraordinaire calls it "Brilliant work", there's probably something more to it than a poor sample quality joke mix worthy of OLR :lol:

No one cares if you support an assessment of how people act.

We're not critiquing me. We're critiquing the remix.

"former judge/OCRemixer/musician extraordinaire"

Have I heard your music? No I haven't. Do I care if you're a musician extraordinaire? No, not really. Do I care that you're a former judge? No. If I was just like Nase, I would say that you're one of those guys that just thinks they're awesome and their wisdom is unrivaled because they used to have a high rank in society. But I didn't say that, ya know why? You can figure it out. A musician "extraordinaire" obviously isn't stupid. Right? Because you were a former judge and you know best? You're the only one here who can tell right from wrong, right? We should all stop critiquing and let you do it, because you know more about music, right?

Anyways, enough about you. I'm trying to help Nase. I was feeling a little heated when I said "come back when you're serious". What I meant to say was that you have something nice here, you should continue to go with it instead of just slapping a "failure" tag on it.

This song is not bad. It just could be much greater if you weren't just messing around. I actually can't write something as good as this if I was messing around. I'm just offering some ideas on how you could make it better.

You don't know me, and you have never spoken to me before. Don't assume what people are like.

Sorry, your choice of words just made it hard for me not to stereotype you into something.

I'm just saying I wouldn't intentionally put something on the WIP forum and say it's bad.

I didn't say that though. The attributes I described the tune with aren't meant to put it down, I do like hyperactive music with lots of wankery. I like chaotic medleys. See, that's what I mean: You read those words and interpret it as something bad, possibly because you expect 'serious' music to be posted on here that wants to make it onto the front page.

Oops, I just looked up 'dicking around' and found out about its rather negative meaning, lol. I was thinking it had a similar meaning to 'fooling around'. Language barrier ;) Dunno if that's what misled you.

The samples are poor quality and it's a big medley. I don't know if you have any intention to fix those problems, but I'd like to hear this when those problems are fixed.

Ok, let me make it clear again:

The whole point of the tune is to do cool stuff with the very same set of samples that the composer of the OST used.

It was meant to be a big medley from the beginning.

"former judge/OCRemixer/musician extraordinaire"

Have I heard your music? No I haven't. Do I care if you're a musician extraordinaire? No, not really. Do I care that you're a former judge?....

Dude....I think Harmony was talking about Shnabubula there, haha.

Anyway, there's no real issue here man. Take it or leave it, no reason to like something because a musician extraordinaire does ;)

It's a good thing that this part of the forum isn't called WIP anymore, btw, as I'm done with this and don't intend to change it drastically unless someone comes up with an awesome idea for this concept. Still, I'd probably just write a new one in that case.

Thanks for all the other comments!

Sorry, your choice of words just made it hard for me not to stereotype you into something.

I didn't say that though. The attributes I described the tune with aren't meant to put it down, I do like hyperactive music with lots of wankery. I like chaotic medleys. See, that's what I mean: You read those words and interpret it as something bad, possibly because you expect 'serious' music to be posted on here that wants to make it onto the front page.

Oops, I just looked up 'dicking around' and found out about its rather negative meaning, lol. I was thinking it had a similar meaning to 'fooling around'. Language barrier ;) Dunno if that's what misled you.

Ok, let me make it clear again:

The whole point of the tune is to do cool stuff with the very same set of samples that the composer of the OST used.

It was meant to be a big medley from the beginning.

Dude....I think Harmony was talking about Shnabubula there, haha.

Anyway, there's no real issue here man. Take it or leave it, no reason to like something because a musician extraordinaire does ;)

It's a good thing that this part of the forum isn't called WIP anymore, btw, as I'm done with this and don't intend to change it drastically unless someone comes up with an awesome idea for this concept. Still, I'd probably just write a new one in that case.

Thanks for all the other comments!

Alright sorry, I guess your choice of words also made it hard for me. Because, well, you said " I was dicking around" that gave me the impression that you intentionally made it sound... well... medley-ish.

"

The whole point of the tune is to do cool stuff with the very same set of samples that the composer of the OST used."

Try saying that in the beginning. That might've stopped this whole thing from happening. XD

And contrary to what you thought I'm not implying that I know what's best for your song. I'm not very good with socializing so I often have bad word choice. XD I was offering some suggestions on how to make the song sound better, but I'll leave you alone now that you said you weren't planning to change it. And in no way did I intend to raid your thread and say "This is a bad remix."

And as for the "expect it to be intended for the front page"... I normally would put this in the Originals/Other forum. But that's just me. XD

ARGH! It's over 6mb! It'll never got on OCR with that, nor with chiptunes, or the medley, or...

Wait, your not trying to get on OCR? Well then, that changes things, altogether... j/k - I know what your going for, and you do it very well. If Sam says it's amazing tracking then you have to sit down and listen to it... and I'm glad I did. Although it sounds a little too random, to me, you've certainly got talent in chiptune tracking, man. I thoroughly enjoyed it :).

Ah, this one's not tracked actually - Sam was refering to stuff I did in Famitracker/LSDJ.

I'm not even that experienced with trackers...dunno where he got the 'years of hardcore tracking experience' bit from. I just made a couple tunes before in LSDJ and more recently picked up Famitracker upon his advice.

It would make a lot of sense though to do something like this in Modplug or so - especially for tunes that adhere to the channel limit of the SNES. I just flat out ignored that in this one, and I gotta squeeze some info out of Sam on how he handles the DSP (sound effects).

Ah, on a related note, I did a cover/remix of SoM's desert track a little while back in Famitracker, you can have a listen here: http://8bitcollective.com/music/skoshu/Secret+of+Mana+-+Arid+Sands+VRC6+Cover/

ARGH! It's over 6mb! It'll never got on OCR with that, nor with chiptunes, or the medley, or...

Wait, your not trying to get on OCR? Well then, that changes things, altogether... j/k - I know what your going for, and you do it very well. If Sam says it's amazing tracking then you have to sit down and listen to it... and I'm glad I did. Although it sounds a little too random, to me, you've certainly got talent in chiptune tracking, man. I thoroughly enjoyed it :).

Damn you Gario, how did you say everything I said in a positive way?! And in ONE SENTENCE?! AND YOU DIDN'T GET STEREOTYPED...

Meanie. xD

Haha awesome man, really awesome. I can't believe it's nassennman!(God knows how to remember your spelling). Ohhh groove change at 1:07 was sexy as hell. I think the last half lacked the greatness of the first half, I'm still trying to remember what this sounds like to me from the Snes, some other game...

Good shit, good techniques, good personality, I'd yes it lol.

Hey Roe!

Yeah, I agree about the second half being weaker, I was running out of fuel at times.

Thanks though, and nice to see an old 'face' :)

I'm really not a fan of most of the Secret of Mana soundtrack. :-P

Yeah I got that. I just wanted to say how much I respect the original tunes, I can even sympathise with Meteo Xavier who thinks I utterly defiled them, haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...