OCR00239 - Final Fantasy VI "Devil's Lab (Acid Mix)"

m68030

• 4 weeks later...

This one takes a little while to build up and ends too soon (one cycle just isn't enough), but the music here is incredible. My main gripe would be that the track doesn't sound as clean as I think it could be, though I don't think it hurts how strong the Mix is overall. This may be Khalal's only submission, but I say you should DL it cuz it's kicking asses all the way around the corner and back.

I never played FF6, let alone the FF series (just not my thing), but "Devil's Lab Acid" is interesting to contrast with McVaffe's "Devil's Lab." Admittedly, the way Khalal's Mix caught my ear made me give McVaffe's some extra consideration, and I think that's one big plus that tracks like those as well as all the Chrono Trigger Zeal themes have: allowing you to check out several different, quality intepretations of the same song.

-LT

• 7 months later...

I agree with Liontamer here. The mix is just the direction I would have taken with the song myself (provided I could get any of my work past the judges here... :banghead: ). Big, loud, heavy, mechanical, nice drum work, nice sub-bass beat, fitting reverb effects, but it takes virtually half the mix to actually get around to the first statement of the theme, and then dies out well before it completes the second. I'm tempted just to pop it into a digital editor and clip another iteration or two on myself. If the judges will let you, I think you really should make this mix a tad longer and if you're feeling creative, even add a non-fade-out ending. I'd certainly DL a revised version if it came up :D.

- seanstar

• 1 month later...

Sounds like in belongs in a massive mechanical fortress--just like Vector. TOO SHORT!! But the mix is good, I'll grant it that. Two more cycles with variations on the theme, maybe less mechanical on cycle #2 and all-out industrial destruction on cycle #3, would pick this mix up pretty well.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OOOOh yesss. It would be weird if nobody did a tough crushing remix of this track, cause it fits so well in that look. If you don´t trust me, trust yourself and listen to it.

This mix would be the most suitable for the game, the mood in this mix reminds me of that factory. One of my favorite tracks, so why should I not download it?

Those strings beginning at 1:16, they were awesome.

ARE awesome, sorry.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The mix is quite good, it actually makes this track bearable after playing the game and becoming very annoyed with the source. well done with the intro, which adds a nice echoed feel almost like certain levels from Super Mario World. However, because the intro is 40 seconds and the track itself is only 2 mins, the piece feels really short in comparison to what you built up to with the intro.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The ever energetic Devil's Lab. One of the more memorable source tunes from FF6. Though, I could've sworn with this one being a later discovery that it might've been up on the site much later.

Looking at it again though, it does tend to get really dirty sounding with the levelling, with the pads piercing too far through the mix to really give in any sense of subtlety. The drum buildup was cool, though for a very short mix and seeing it take up nearly half the song was a little awkward for me. Outside from that, it's a straightforward interpretation complete with a weak fadeout at the end on top of the melody for some reason.

I'm going to have to be fair in saying that this one didn't age as gracefully as some of the other interpretations of this same theme, most notably due to length, mixing and arrangement. I guess it could be cool to see if you like the source tune, but that's really as far as I can go for a recommendation.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00239 - Final Fantasy VI "Devil's Lab (Acid Mix)"