Nekofrog presents: The Agony of Man ALBUM PREVIEW (METTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLL)

Nekofrog

My debut album is nearing completion, but for a few reasons that cannot be revealed here, it will be some months before it finally sees an official release. Until then, I figured I'd throw up a preview of what's to come. This preview consists of two fully completed (length-wise) songs, and one abbreviated song.

Entitled "The Agony of Man", this album features a trilogy of songs depicting the birth, life, and death of a man, detailing the major events that define his tragic life. It also spans various different genres of metal, including thrash metal, progressive metal, death metal, melo-death, and many others.

: This song is entitled "Overdose", and is unrelated to the trilogy. Some of the other musicians that I've shown the project to have described this song as progressive/melodic death metal, however it lacks any type of vocals. So if you're one of those types who likes the guitar of melodic or progressive death metal but can't get past the cookie monster vocals, this is probably right up your ally.

: This song is entitled "The Funeral", and is the middle part of the aforementioned trilogy. It details the death and laying to rest of the man's wife, and his regret at having ever met her and inadvertently causing her death. EMO FAGGOT. Vocals (yes, this song has vocals) were recorded by DrumUltima of, derp, OCR fame.

: This song is entitled "Descent", and is unrelated to the trilogy. This song takes elements from thrash metal more than anything, with some fast riffing near the fadeout. This track is going to be a doozy when the full thing is unleashed :)

In the coming months, a few more tunes might be "leaked" up until the album's final release. Thanks for listening, I'd appreciate some comments if you enjoyed it, or otherwise.

Yes.... yes... stroke my ego...

In terms of production, oh hell yes I've upped my game. I had hoped that one of my newer remixes would have gotten posted before I got around to getting the album preview up so people could see the huge jump in quality from my first two songs, but oh well. They'll get posted eventually I assume.

My impressions thus far...

Overdose- My favorite of the trio. Nice progression from one part to the next, and the mixture of melodic and metal makes for a great sounding track. Kudos on this one.

The Funeral- I may be alone on this idea, but I'd like to hear this song with a guitar replacing the vocals. I like the music itself, but the vocals just don't do it for me.

I mean no offense, DU. It's not your voice or anything, so don't take this as my slamming your vocal skills. It's just that as I listened to it, I think this track could potentially rock harder as an instrumental one, with a guitar coming forward for the vocals and their harmony sections.

I know its part of a trilogy, and the vocals are there for a reason. Hopefully I'm not kicking anyone in the artist nuts by saying this, as that's not my intent. It's just how I felt listening to it.

Descent- I'll reserve judgment on this one, as it's only a two minute preview. I will say, what's there right now sounds quite good. I'm curious to hear the rest when it finally sees the light of day.

My impressions thus far...

Overdose- My favorite of the trio. Nice progression from one part to the next, and the mixture of melodic and metal makes for a great sounding track. Kudos on this one.

Yeah, it's my favorite of the bunch, and I expected it would be for a lot of people as well (mainly due to a lack of vocals). I've actually got an updated version of it where the harmonized melodic parts are clearer and more focused, but that's on my production PC which I won't have access to for a while, so I had to go with this slightly muddier version for the preview.

Interestingly enough, this was my first real venture outside of 4/4. I can't remember offhand what time signature it's in, but it goes something like 7/8 to 4/4 to something else to 7/8.

The Funeral- I may be alone on this idea, but I'd like to hear this song with a guitar replacing the vocals. I like the music itself, but the vocals just don't do it for me.

I mean no offense, DU. It's not your voice or anything, so don't take this as my slamming your vocal skills. It's just that as I listened to it, I think this track could potentially rock harder as an instrumental one, with a guitar coming forward for the vocals and their harmony sections.

I know its part of a trilogy, and the vocals are there for a reason. Hopefully I'm not kicking anyone in the artist nuts by saying this, as that's not my intent. It's just how I felt listening to it.

I knew this one would be a divider for some people, mainly because it's difficult to get vocals down with someone who is halfway across the country and can't be directed live and in person, but I think Doug did a tremendous job with what I gave him. This is similar to Overdose in that I have a slightly punchier version done but don't have access to it (production PC, again). In that version I've edited out all draws for breath and merged the harmonizations a bit more naturally. As it says in the Youtube description, this one still has a little bit more of production work to be done (Doug's going to do another take on one section to fill it out a bit more), but otherwise nearly finished.

In terms of the lack of vocals, I can see what you mean by some people, but without the vocals (and the message), it's a bit of a boring track. It's repetitive as it is, and what's really sprucing it up in my opinion are the vocal harmonies that kick tits.

Descent- I'll reserve judgment on this one, as it's only a two minute preview. I will say, what's there right now sounds quite good. I'm curious to hear the rest when it finally sees the light of day.

Yeah, this is going to be the all-out, thrash epic that I've been wanting to do for a long time. For those unfamilar with that type of thing, Iced Earth's 16-minute epic "Dante's Inferno" is along those lines (part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFlMBBAmC8 , part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BppyJk9Tfh0&feature=related)

It will likely close out the album, as well.

you liek iced earth too much

Yeah, Jon Shaffer of Iced Earth is my biggest influence on my guitar work, from a riff perspective. I like to think that my right hand is near his in ability, because rapid-fire and technical alternate picking just sounds so badass.

but yeah this sounds pretty awesome

EDIT: I forgot to mention the production here is REEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY fucking awesome. I want production this good.

In terms of production, I am a strict minimalist in every sense of the word. When I record, I make sure my initial recording sounds as clean, clear, and articulate as I possibly can. You can imagine how tough that can be when you quad-track a rhythm section (meaning, you record the same riff 4 seperate times, layer them over one another and pan them appropriately) -- they have to be SPOT ON EXACTLY THE SAME in terms of your playing, or it's going to sound very sloppy. I've been told by a LOT of people (both in person and online) that my right hand is ridiculously tight and synchronous, but that's probably due to trying to play Iced Earth songs day in and day out when I was learning guitar.

Back to the production aspect, like I said, minimalist. Once the tracks are down and clean, I move on to bass. I don't utilize bass as an instrument for its own, it's almost always strictly used to round out the guitar's sound and give it that low end that the track needs.

In terms of compression and equalization... well, I believe they can be helpful, but that they can also do more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing, so I rarely if ever compress things. Since I use a POD XT, it has a natural fizziness to its guitar tones that need to be EQ'ed out, but once you learn how to do that it's all you need to do EQ-wise.

In terms of production, I am a strict minimalist in every sense of the word. When I record, I make sure my initial recording sounds as clean, clear, and articulate as I possibly can. You can imagine how tough that can be when you quad-track a rhythm section (meaning, you record the same riff 4 seperate times, layer them over one another and pan them appropriately) -- they have to be SPOT ON EXACTLY THE SAME in terms of your playing, or it's going to sound very sloppy.

Why exactly do you do it 4 times? I only dual layer mine because adding two more doesn't make a whole lot of difference - I might even go as far to say that it makes it worse. Would it simply depend on the sound/frequency range of your amp? Maybe I'm just not doing it right.

Why exactly do you do it 4 times? I only dual layer mine because adding two more doesn't make a whole lot of difference - I might even go as far to say that it makes it worse. Would it simply depend on the sound/frequency range of your amp? Maybe I'm just not doing it right.

I don't always do it -- I do it about 75% of the time. In general, it thickens the sound up and gives the guitar this "huge" quality to it that can just be brutal. In order to do this, you have to adjust your settings properly, or yeah, it'll sound pretty bad. Typically lower your gain tremendously, and adjust for any frequencies that become too overpowering when quad-tracking.