Gaming with a friend or alone?

duskvstweak

Playing with a friend (even in single player games) is so much more rewarding than playing alone. UN Squadron, Trials HD, Mirror's Edge, Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger, Halo Wars.....this list could go on forever. Living in a house with other nerds its inevitable that you spend time together playing video games and all taking turns trying to complete various levels and achievements. Some of my fondest memories are from playing single player games with friends and sharing those moments with them.

I remember playing the subway level (level 4 or 5 I think) in Mirror's Edge and everyone watching the TV during the final sequence in the subway tunnels as well as me playing. We were all screaming at the horror of the moment and taking gasps of relief as I survived each one.

I think more than anything for me it's the ability to vicariously experience a game while another person is playing. The Escapist had an article about this a while ago and I agreed whole-heartedly with it. Also the fact that we all took turns, when someone lost a life or failed the mission or whatever, we passed the controller to the next player and watched them. It's a strange mix between watching a movie, discussing strategies, and competing against one another. It just makes for a really great time.

There are certain games I'll play through with friends and games I prefer to fly solo on. I love playing the classics with friends because well, that's just how the old system worked. RPG's I prefer to play alone because I like to explore and find everything, and I just have my own style for playing them.

Well, I remember having a blast playing FF:Crystal Chronicles with a friend. Most of the time I prefer to play alone though. I just can't count on people to focus enough to get things done :D People tend to get bored and then ruin your game or they're just not skilled at gaming.

One game that has been the absolute best to play with a friend for me though is Red Star (PS2/XBOX)! My best friend is someone you can count on to be strong slow guy, while I am lightning fast skinny chick :D

We played that game sooo many times, just trying to beat the boss which seemed impossible to beat at first :D

We're really good at it now and it's a very rewarding game, especially playing together.

We killed Halo a lot too :D

I very rarely let anyone play my games when they visit me. They seem to not mind watching me play, and I seem to be able to get away with it everytime :D

It really depends, I've found playing single player games with friends is...less than optimal, I get bored, and start to go crazy when I spot something I'd want to check out or see the solution to a puzzle and my friend isn't. I feel bad telling them to try stuff and things. :(

So I guess I prefer to play alone...unless it's a game with multiplayer built into it then it's really fun to talk to one another to work together.

Playing Secret of Mana with three people is one of the most fun gaming moments I have, but it usually just depends on the type of game. Games with epic storylines or gameplay are great fun to play with friends, but long RPGs I definitely prefer solo. I'd love to spend nights just taking turns and going through entire games such as Metal Gear Solid, various Zelda games, Shadow of the Colossus and countless others.