OCR01133 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Fungus Funktion"

djpretzel

Well, I have a few comments on this remix, none bad.

First off, since my own mixing skills are amature at best, I liked the fact that this piece was easily audibly followable. Often a remix doesn't seem to be such unless it is repetitive or just cheezy (yes cheezy, not cheesy). Happily, this mix struck me as neither.

As far as the instruments go, though they were not cutting edge, they really did well in their respective positions. The drums struck me as a bit flat, but in their context it wasn't a problem. I am slightly curious as to why the ending seemed to be a partial loop of the earlier part of the song though.

One final comment: I think what I liked most about the mix was the ambient background set by the strings, either that or the flangy sound effects sprinkled on the song. Nice work.

Rating: 4/5

yay, this is coolness, although I think I'm passed the best of it now. The great sound effects at the begining should appear more. :) I also don't like that snare. Not enough bite; it needs a shorter and sharper decay. Hehe, the pseudo fade-out is cool and a little cheeky, I think.

For once I actually know the original and I really like what's been done with it. This is certainly moving into my permanent directory. :)

This quite classy and unique, I must say.

But the one thing that bothers me is that that the beat just doesn't make any sense to me. I don't know if you were trying to do drum and bass or being all bad ass drum box old school or something, but all the other elements are just in a different style and don't sound good with them. Though everyone is all OH GOD NO HE SAMPLED A BEAT OH NO IT'S THE FUCKING END OF THE WORLD BAN THIS DUDE!!!!111!!113!@2111, you might want to check out "The Missing Suitcase" by The Herbaliser (your remix sounds similar to it in style.) It's like the epitome of bad ass spy car chase scene music but has that specific cut-up and sampled breakbeat feel to it.

I definitely liked that bass line in the back ground throughout, that really gave it a cool style. I didn't really like the beginning much with that bell chime over and over, it was just overbearing in compared with the nonchalant feeling of the rest of the piece, giving it a deceptive intro.

I also didn't quite get the drums. I mean yeah they kept the beat but, everything else just feels like it falls into place cooly, calmly, but the drums and just consistently over bearing, maybe too loud or just some a little calmer to fit with the other tracks.

Still love that bass line though and the melodic tracks *grooves*

• 3 months later...

Flawless. I think the drums fit in just fine. Why are people assuming that the bassline sets the tone and the drums have to follow? Drums that just follow bore me to tears.

I really don't 'get' all this spy business, though =/

Edit: Btw, I also really liked Lose Your Way Maze. Orange, you're becoming a fast favorite.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love how it starts out. It definitely has that nocturnal "creeping through the night" kind of feel.

My one complaint is that I'm given too much, too fast. It gets very quick, and there certainly seems to be a lot of background noise and sound effects.

It would have been ideal to have kept this piece quieted down.

But other than that, I love the different things this remixer tries

• 11 months later...

The drums could really have benefited from a consistent hi hat instead of just being kick and snare. There are occasional percussive hits like a tambourine, and I think i heard a little bit of hi-hat in there, but it's not glued together otherwise.

The soundscape is pretty empty in a few places, and the guitar and bass are machines cranking out the notes in a mechanically perfect manner. Some of the sound effects are cool and fill some space, but the lack of hihat really really hurts this. My brain is actually adding the sound itself, which is all kinds of weird. :-(

Things fill out better once the brass joins up, but there are too many sections that feel unpolished for me to really get into this one. Sorry dude. :-(

• 2 years later...

Well, this seems like an appropriate thing to review, given the LA project's imminent release. I used to like this remix more, but it still holds up reasonably well. It's an entertaining arrangement, especially the parts with the brass. Interesting drums despite occasionally being awkwardly barren. And that triangley percussive sound drives me insane over the last half of the track.

I won't repeat what OA said above; most of my complaints are pretty much the same, but in a less bothersome way.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01133 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Fungus Funktion"