I'm going to rant about MMORPG communities here

Arcana

Yea, I'm pretty sure that's an over-estimation. It'd be difficult to level from 1-80 in that kind of time without:

A) Having a refer-a-friend bonus

B) Being family with quests and/or WoW resources (questhelper, WoWHead)

C) Bind on Account Items

D) Copius ammounts of gold

E) Someone running you through stuff

BUT if you have any, or all of these things, you're not really levelling a character because you're interested in the whole "leveling experience."

This prob cuz WoW's getting easier, which makes it all the more boring.

For many, the game starts when you hit the level cap. Blizz has been trying to make the levelling process easier and faster so you can get to the good part quicker :) This makes endgame more accessible to casual players rather than hardcore raiders only. Granted on lousy servers, you won't have as fun of a time unless you're in a guild. We're lucky on Illidan that the average player is expected to have correct gear/gems/enchants or else they will be teased mercilessly-- and expected to perform well. I've played on other servers and I have never had as good as an experience as on Illidan - as far as player skill, competence and lack of downs syndrome goes.

When I first played I got to about level 30 and then stopped, since it WAS boring. Blizz is trying to fix that by doing everything they can without giving you free lv80 toons (death knights starting at level 56, 2 different BoA items that give you 10% experience gains, dropping each level exp requirement by 30%, making certain quests require less items to pick up, etc)

I'm much happier at lv80 than i was at 70 in BC when it was nearly impossible to get into any raids at all unless you were super geared or guilded. Blizz has done a lot to change that, so that even casual players do get to experience end game content.

I will admit that I enjoy levelling characters, but moreso now that I understand how to gear my toons and will keep them pretty twinked throughout the entire levelling process.

For many, the game starts when you hit the level cap.

I think this is actually a pretty recent phenomenon and was kind of "crowned" by WoW.

It's definitely a source of huge amounts of crying on Aion since in Aion it takes an average player 300 hours to reach max level. A lot of the players who are on Aion wanted to level faster than that.

Others of course are concerned about a lack of content from Levels 35-50.

Yea, I'm pretty sure that's an over-estimation. It'd be difficult to level from 1-80 in that kind of time without:

C) Bind on Account Items

BUT if you have any, or all of these things, you're not really levelling a character because you're interested in the whole "leveling experience."

When I played FF XI I had to scruff through it pretty hard for my first job. After that I had connections and I definitely took advantage of having friends to help me with gear and power leveling. Why shouldn't I? That's what friends are all about. lol

For many, the game starts when you hit the level cap. Blizz has been trying to make the levelling process easier and faster so you can get to the good part quicker :) This makes endgame more accessible to casual players rather than hardcore raiders only. Granted on lousy servers, you won't have as fun of a time unless you're in a guild. We're lucky on Illidan that the average player is expected to have correct gear/gems/enchants or else they will be teased mercilessly-- and expected to perform well. I've played on other servers and I have never had as good as an experience as on Illidan - as far as player skill, competence and lack of downs syndrome goes.

When I first played I got to about level 30 and then stopped, since it WAS boring. Blizz is trying to fix that by doing everything they can without giving you free lv80 toons (death knights starting at level 56, 2 different BoA items that give you 10% experience gains, dropping each level exp requirement by 30%, making certain quests require less items to pick up, etc)

I'm much happier at lv80 than i was at 70 in BC when it was nearly impossible to get into any raids at all unless you were super geared or guilded. Blizz has done a lot to change that, so that even casual players do get to experience end game content.

I will admit that I enjoy levelling characters, but moreso now that I understand how to gear my toons and will keep them pretty twinked throughout the entire levelling process.

Uh

maybe it's just me but the solution seems really simple

make the 1-80 game fun. dont make it "start" at 80. eq2 is fun from level 1 right on up to and beyond the level cap. why can't wow do that?

Uh

maybe it's just me but the solution seems really simple

make the 1-80 game fun. dont make it "start" at 80. eq2 is fun from level 1 right on up to and beyond the level cap. why can't wow do that?

WoW from 1-80 is pretty entertaining, there's a lot to do and the world is pretty rich. It's just that I played it through like 5 or 6 times over.

Aion's current problem is that it really slows down and becomes a grind fest after 35.

When WoW first came out, it was an entirely different game than it is now. The way the game was played was almost entirely different, and it worked then.

The rest of the game has changed now, improved for the better over time, but if you've ever played an MMO you know an expansion EXPANDS on the game. It'd be kind of a lot of work to change THE WHOLE game, and it would really just be almost a NEW game altogether.

WoW made SENSE when it came out, and was a lot of fun, now a days your first time through it's still pretty fun, and a requirement to "learn the game", but it's not really the point anymore. They've changed the game so much that those first 60 are an entirely different experience then it used to be.

Can we fix it?

Yes we can.

BUT like I've said before, and will say 100 times over: MMOs are only as fun as the people you play them with. If you level from 1-60 by yourself, or with a bunch of different random people well...I feel sorry for you.

WHICH brings me back to....

When I played FF XI I had to scruff through it pretty hard for my first job. After that I had connections and I definitely took advantage of having friends to help me with gear and power leveling. Why shouldn't I? That's what friends are all about. lol

Once you've leveled a character and essentially already experienced the leveling experience for the game, you don't necessarily want to "experience it" again when you level another character. WoW has a system in place for that. It makes is A LOT easier than to level ANOTHER character after your first one.

The point is saying you can "Level a character from 1-80 in a month playing 1 hour a day" is pretty inaccurate, except under specific circumstances, and is still an over-exaggeration. The experience of leveling a 2nd character from 1-80 and your FIRST character from 1-80 is very different and really can't be compared to one another.

Same goes for playing alone and playing with friends...which should be a given.

Well not limited to, but an hour a day on average. Some days more, some days less.

And I apologize, my memory is foggy, he said three months, not one. That might still seem impossible, but that's what happened. He had lots of friends at school who played WoW.

Anyways, he told me he stopped playing when he got to 80, because by then it was too boring.

C) Bind on Account Items

He most likely had a, b, and e.

In eighth grade (one year ago) we had a LOT of people who played WoW at school. There was no doubt- NO DOUBT -some of our crazier gamer friends would've already been at higher levels and helped him out. (mostly likely with ^^^^ D ^^^^)

Honestly, I found WoW to be much more fun when I was playing alone. I was on Stormreaver, and it was very rare that I found a group that was actually enjoyable to play with. There was one specific afternoon in Stranglethorn Vale (I think that's what it was called) where I led a group of 5 grinding for some manner of Gem, and that was HUGE fun, cuz everyone knew what they were doing and they weren't pricks. But generally, the egos were huge and it was a huge circlejerk of "my class is better than your class" or "why aren't you geared with THIS" whenever I grouped. So I played to level 62 and just quit because at THAT time at least, it was about impossible to solo anymore. And because burning crusade was out, the original endgame areas were EMPTY. Like the east-whatever where you go to do a bunch of quests for your pally epic mount. I was the only person in the whole area for days because everyone was in Outland.

I thought more people would expect to be trolled on the internet.

Then there are people who completely fail at giving advices and just end up sounding like total jerks.

Some people just suck at socializing and the internet is of no help on that.

There isn't a game where people will be that much nicer or mean than other games. What would mainly affect our perception on this is partly luck (or bad luck) with our encounters and the amount of people that play the game (meaning bigger chance of crossing X type of person).

Or you can simply blame the US for being terrible at making up non-asshole communities ;P

To be totally fair, noobs can be pretty retarded and pushy as well. I'm the kind of guy that likes to offer help when I can, but while playing Final Fantasy XI, I'd run into some retarded ass people from time to time... I couldn't help but lose my patience with a lot of them.

Yeah, sometimes hacking on noobs was just mandatory because they wouldn't even try to learn how to be effective. That's the nature of FF XI too. It's more about cooperating with other players in order to advance.

I can't tell you how fucking mad it would make me when I would wait for 3 hours to get a party or spend 2 hours trying to set one up myself and then some noob that won't listen to the more experienced players gets everyone in the party irritated and it disbands before you even have chance to get anything done. When in reality if they listen to the party rather be an indignant fuck everyone involved would have gained a lvl and had a great time doing it.

Arrrgh.. Why did this thread get me thinking about that blasted game.

Ah WoW. I love WoW. It can be really frustrating and really rewarding. People say the end is when it begins, but in some ways the end ruins everything. :\ (Like PvP and resilience... blech) This obsession people have with gear and perfection. Like one mistake in a raid and people just get outright cruel about it. And really... every one of us has died to the first goomba in Mario Stage 1-1. Don't deny it! We all make stupid mistakes in video games. It's not worth pitching a mighty temper tantrum over.

Doesn't help that Dethecus is full of trolls.

There's so much to WoW, I find I actually like the simplicity of the leveling (compared to end game bosses and content), more so now that we get mounts at 20 instead of 40!

I've only tried one other online game. I enjoyed it but lag made it unplayable, unfortunately.

And online communities in general are full of jerkfaces. OCR is very nice in that it's like... a community. People could learn from this place. I used to be really involved in a role playing community (not video games, just like, text role playing and story writing) but had to get out of it. I loved RPing, but I absolutely hated how nasty people were to each other. They make MMO board elitists look like saints.

Regardless of jerks in Aion or WoW or whatever your poison is, just make sure you game with friends. Goof off with them, don't read forums, and turn off trade when you don't need it = much more enjoyable experience.

Okay I hate Aion's community even more than I hate WoW's community, it's official. Someone posts a poll up saying,

Do you know a Casual who likes Aion?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

The original poster stands by his poll numbers and illustrates this his thread has 20+ pages of posters telling their "I am a casual who plays 5-10 hours a week and I like Aion" and goes into other threads and says, "If you look at this thread, you can see that 70% of people know a casual who like Aion, therefore Aion appeals to casuals."

I made a mistake in calling him out on his bad poll setup and claimed that he said a majority of casuals liked Aion when he did not use the word majority. And then he told me that I was a liar and that I was a hypocrite for lecturing him about research methods.

I've posted my apology, since I was wrong (I was thinking of editing my post after I went out to breakfast) but he had posted already.

I am someone who tries to represent all sides of an issue as best as I can. I post my views but attempt to balance out both sides with neutrality, and attempt to ensure that I've covered all of the facts. If I make a mistake, you can ask me to clarify or ask me to explain, but to imply that I posted with the intention of lying is something that I cannot stand. It is a personal attack.

So I think I'm done. The community is hopeless, even WoW's community is more positive than Aion's, where people insult each other for "being too casual" but yet the newest wave of insults is that the people are "levelling up too fast" and therefore don't deserve to enjoy endgame. It's sick. At least in WoW, the complainers for the most part were enjoying the game even if their posts were unrealistic. For some reason the Aion posters to go such extreme to defend their game, it's fanboyism at its worst.

I'm going to delete my account because I'd rather read and post on WoW forums than on Aionsource now.

If you're going to play MMO's (or any online game really) you have to learn to ignore the haters.

I've been playing HD Remix online a fair bit lately and most people are quite cool. They enjoy having a good chat or being decent when they win or lose. Offering tips to improve your strategy etc.

Then there is always the occasional asshole who taunts and pokes makes fun of other people who are just starting out.

In short, what Malaki said.

How do you teabag someone while stomping on their nuts?

Maybe teabagging doesn't mean what I think it means.

The only game I've ever played with other people on the internet is Starcraft. I agree with you about the communities. I wish I was one of those super-powered people who doesn't use their powers for good when I think about those kinds of people. Oh the things, I would do to them.

okay i hate aion's community even more than i hate wow's community, it's official. Someone posts a poll up saying,

do you know a casual who likes aion?

[ ] yes

[ ] no

the original poster stands by his poll numbers and illustrates this his thread has 20+ pages of posters telling their "i am a casual who plays 5-10 hours a week and i like aion" and goes into other threads and says, "if you look at this thread, you can see that 70% of people know a casual who like aion, therefore aion appeals to casuals."

i made a mistake in calling him out on his bad poll setup and claimed that he said a majority of casuals liked aion when he did not use the word majority. And then he told me that i was a liar and that i was a hypocrite for lecturing him about research methods.

I've posted my apology, since i was wrong (i was thinking of editing my post after i went out to breakfast) but he had posted already.

I am someone who tries to represent all sides of an issue as best as i can. I post my views but attempt to balance out both sides with neutrality, and attempt to ensure that i've covered all of the facts. If i make a mistake, you can ask me to clarify or ask me to explain, but to imply that i posted with the intention of lying is something that i cannot stand. It is a personal attack.

So i think i'm done. The community is hopeless, even wow's community is more positive than aion's, where people insult each other for "being too casual" but yet the newest wave of insults is that the people are "levelling up too fast" and therefore don't deserve to enjoy endgame. It's sick. At least in wow, the complainers for the most part were enjoying the game even if their posts were unrealistic. For some reason the aion posters to go such extreme to defend their game, it's fanboyism at its worst.

I'm going to delete my account because i'd rather read and post on wow forums than on aionsource now.

lolumad?

Its so ez

Anyway, lfm ToC10. Have tanks, need 1-2 heals, rest DPS. shaman/pally preferred. PST with stats and don't be bad.

Okay I hate Aion's community even more than I hate WoW's community, it's official. Someone posts a poll up saying,

Do you know a Casual who likes Aion?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

The original poster stands by his poll numbers and illustrates this his thread has 20+ pages of posters telling their "I am a casual who plays 5-10 hours a week and I like Aion" and goes into other threads and says, "If you look at this thread, you can see that 70% of people know a casual who like Aion, therefore Aion appeals to casuals."

I made a mistake in calling him out on his bad poll setup and claimed that he said a majority of casuals liked Aion when he did not use the word majority. And then he told me that I was a liar and that I was a hypocrite for lecturing him about research methods.

I've posted my apology, since I was wrong (I was thinking of editing my post after I went out to breakfast) but he had posted already.

I am someone who tries to represent all sides of an issue as best as I can. I post my views but attempt to balance out both sides with neutrality, and attempt to ensure that I've covered all of the facts. If I make a mistake, you can ask me to clarify or ask me to explain, but to imply that I posted with the intention of lying is something that I cannot stand. It is a personal attack.

So I think I'm done. The community is hopeless, even WoW's community is more positive than Aion's, where people insult each other for "being too casual" but yet the newest wave of insults is that the people are "levelling up too fast" and therefore don't deserve to enjoy endgame. It's sick. At least in WoW, the complainers for the most part were enjoying the game even if their posts were unrealistic. For some reason the Aion posters to go such extreme to defend their game, it's fanboyism at its worst.

I'm going to delete my account because I'd rather read and post on WoW forums than on Aionsource now.

I'm not sure why you're letting your forum-going experience ruin a gaming experience for you. Do you like the game? If you do, just play it. :\

I'm not sure why you're letting your forum-going experience ruin a gaming experience for you. Do you like the game? If you do, just play it. :\

This. Why would you even try to talk to those dickheads, anyway :/ The only time I bothered with the WoW forums were when the servers were down for maintenance or if some guildies were posting.