Michael Jackson confirmed as a composer for Sonic 3 (2016 UPDATE)

KyleJCrb

9 hours ago, José the Bronx Rican said:

That was exactly my thinking, and just about what I was prepared to say if I caught anyone going "See, Michael didn't want his name attached cuz 2612 sucked!"

Perhaps MJ would've been happier if the music/game was made with arcade limitations in mind (in the same vein of Violent Storm, that is).

1 hour ago, Subz1987 said:

What I'd love to hear are the original versions of the music Jackson and the team made before it went through compression and the final processing. Like the original Sonic 1 and 2 songs Masato Nakamura wrote to demo to Sega.

I've actually heard some of those demos and they're more low-fi than you'd think :V IIRC some of the Sonic 2 demos actually got released on disc.

How is Howard Drossin -- who visited MAGFest (7?) as a Sonic 3 composer -- credited on the soundtrack?  I remember nothing about him except his completely milktoast reaction to GeoffreyTaucer's killer Lava Reef arrangement. One immediately notices that his name is not listed among the songwriting ranks of "Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Doug Grigsby III, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, and Cirocco Jones" that the blog cites.  Seems that until we find a way to parse who worked on what specifically, our work will not yet be done...I really wish there were a master list of what Drossin did vs. the people working for MJ.

I've always loved this story, as an aside -- one of the coolest musicology investigations the scene will likely ever see.

47 minutes ago, BardicKnowledge said:

How is Howard Drossin -- who visited MAGFest (7?) as a Sonic 3 composer -- credited on the soundtrack?  I remember nothing about him except his completely milktoast reaction to GeoffreyTaucer's killer Lava Reef arrangement. One immediately notices that his name is not listed among the songwriting ranks of "Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Doug Grigsby III, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, and Cirocco Jones" that the blog cites.  Seems that until we find a way to parse who worked on what specifically, our work will not yet be done...I really wish there were a master list of what Drossin did vs. the people working for MJ.

Well, he is credited as the Sonic & Knuckles composer in the staff roll. And that is were the Lava Reef theme is from, not Sonic 3.

On 1/30/2016 at 10:27 AM, Txai said:

Well, he is credited as the Sonic & Knuckles composer in the staff roll. And that is were the Lava Reef theme is from, not Sonic 3.

Right: the blog overlooks that the entire soundtrack included music for what eventually became a separate release, not to mention all the people shouted out under "SEGA Sound Team" and "Sound Special Thanks".

On December 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Meteo Xavier said:

Oh my god. That can't be real... :P

You should look at what was auctioned off at his home. I had seen a digital pamphlet for the auction and one section was entirely devoted to his gaming collection. He had all sorts of Sega arcade machines, store demo units for systems like the Dreamcast and countless other items.