Michael Jackson confirmed as a composer for Sonic 3 (2016 UPDATE)

KyleJCrb

3 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I'm not sure I get it.

I mean, I love the Sonic games and MJ's music as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure why some people seem to be so emotionally invested in this - demanding closure for how many years? For me it's just kinda like "Cool. MJ wrote music for Sonic 3." and that's it but for many it seems like this is a discovery akin to finally solving how the Egyptians built the pyramids. 

Yeah.

You don't get it.

49 minutes ago, Neblix said:

Yeah.

You don't get it.

Whenever I post, I know you're responding because I can hear you angrily striking the keys on your keyboard all the way from Philadelphia

18 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Cool article, but

Question.png.d3df827b3c83b0cf21c31ebd7b8

(in all seriousness, nobody in the history of the Sonic fandom has ever called themselves that)

Hey, you know what that saying among Sega fans back in the Sonic vs Mario days was. "Better dead than red." 

I think like all good questions this one just leads to more questions. Why did MJ choose to contribute to the Sonic series? Why was his contribution scrapped? I just think its cool how 90's cultural icons coalesce into something that looking back seems all too indicative of the times, almost like it was a set up by someone from the future looking back. Like the Beatles meeting Muhammad Ali, two cultural icons of the 60's, or Elvis meeting with Nixon, two cultural icons of the 70's, Michael Jackson and Sonic two icons of the 90's meeting up.

16 minutes ago, YoshiBlade said:

I think like all good questions this one just leads to more questions. Why did MJ choose to contribute to the Sonic series? Why was his contribution scrapped? I just think its cool how 90's cultural icons coalesce into something that looking back seems all too indicative of the times, almost like it was a set up by someone from the future looking back. Like the Beatles meeting Muhammad Ali, two cultural icons of the 60's, or Elvis meeting with Nixon, two cultural icons of the 70's, Michael Jackson and Sonic two icons of the 90's meeting up.

I'm pretty sure the article said that he liked the games. Plus, he was MJ so if he offered or agreed to write music for your game, it would've been a huge selling point. Also, money. The article also says his contributions weren't scrapped - just his name being attached to it due to not liking the sound quality and possibly the accusations against him at the time.

Furthermore, was MJ really an icon of the 90s? He always screams "80s" to me.

12 minutes ago, DusK said:

Liking this because my roommates HATE that I have a BlackWidow.

My roommates hate that I have a Black Widow too. I wish they were more tolerant/unafraid of my choice of pets.

5 hours ago, YoshiBlade said:

I think like all good questions this one just leads to more questions. Why did MJ choose to contribute to the Sonic series?

He already had a years long relationship with Sega at that point (1990 Moonwalker game), and there are anecdotes from people like Spencer Nielsen about his visits to their US development studios at the time. A TecToy official (Sega's Brazilian partner for manufacturing and distributing their hardware/games) also recently said that Jackson had approached Nintendo first to pitch his Moonwalker game, but they turned him down so he went to Sega instead. This hasn't been officially confirmed either.

29 minutes ago, classic_gamer_76 said:

I know it may be too much to ask but, honestly, I'd be more excited if each composer of S3 could confirm which track(s) in the game they were involved in.

We know Brad Buxer wrote 'Ice Cap' but I'd like to know who I have to thank for 'Hydrocity'... or 'Marble Garden' :)

Once you analyze the music it's fairly easy to mark down the tracks pinned on the Jackson team. Knuckles' theme, miniboss music, Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base and the credits music. Tonally they are distinguished from the rest of the soundtrack in that they are less overtly melodic and fit with the kind of sound they had for the Dangerous album at the time. They are also heavily based on PCM samples, and they rely more on special samples unique to each track (compared to the rest of the soundtrack which just uses a standard shared drumkit for samples). The article also brings up that the main issue they had with realizing their vision was that they had to compromise too much on sample usage due to the memory and cartridge space limitations, since PCM inherently eats up a lot of that at an era where these things were a very precious and expensive commodity. The kind of approach they had to the music was just very unorthodox for the time (not samples in themselves, but rather amassing unique sets for each individual song which really balloons the file size), but since came from the outside with no experience working with console limitations you can't expect them to know that.

42 minutes ago, WillRock said:

I thought Reds and Blues were people with specific pokemon cartridges \O_O/

You sir, have crossed the line.  

In all seriousness though i'm hijacking this thread to discuss OCR's obvious Pro Nintendo-Anti Sega Agenda.  

..and GO!

...ok i'll start.  No OCR Genesis controller logo?  what is that?!  They should at least be interchangeable!  

9 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Furthermore, was MJ really an icon of the 90s? He always screams "80s" to me.

The songs (well, most notably "Black or White") from Dangerous (which was a 90's album) and his subsequent tours and music videos were incredibly successful.

Yeah, all of our favorite hits (Thriller, Beat It, Smooth Criminal, Bad, etc.) are from the 80s, but he was really prominent and successful in the 90s too.

2 hours ago, José the Bronx Rican said:
2 hours ago, José the Bronx Rican said:

People are forgetting our main video. I made sure our logo was hella inclusive!

Speaking of the opposite, though, the only disappointing thing about this whole story is the additional ammo that some SPC fanboys might think they have now.

People are forgetting our main video. I made sure our logo was hella inclusive!

Speaking of the opposite, though, the only disappointing thing about this whole story is the additional ammo that some SPC fanboys might think they have now.

Considering the nature of the problem, they would likely have run into the same kind of frustrations either way. Cartridge space standards were equal on both systems. And even though the SPC chip has twice as much RAM, in practice it is far more bottlenecked by it since it relies on samples for pretty much all audio, so depending on what you want to do the memory budgeting for instruments, sound effects, voices, etc can be very tricky. If you want to use lots of different samples it becomes no less of a problem, and the chip is also more rigid in that switching out samples on the fly is more limited and complicated.

Just now, lazygecko said:

Considering the nature of the problem, they would likely have run into the same kind of frustrations either way. Cartridge space standards were equal on both systems. And even though the SPC chip has twice as much RAM, in practice it is far more bottlenecked by it since it relies on samples for pretty much all audio, so depending on what you want to do the memory budgeting for instruments, sound effects, voices, etc can be very tricky. If you want to use lots of different samples it becomes no less of a problem, and the chip is also more rigid in that switching out samples on the fly is more limited and complicated.

That was exactly my thinking, and just about what I was prepared to say if I caught anyone going "See, Michael didn't want his name attached cuz 2612 sucked!"