OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Dick the moves the moves dick you.

What bothers me is when I got laughed at for calling Heavy overpowered. Sorry guys, when a class can out damage most other classes while maintaining the most health (even more so with a Medic) and not going through any downtime in the process (Rockets/Pipes/shotguns all have to be reloaded) then the class is overpowered. When a Pyro has an 80% fail rate against a Heavy he snuck up on and got into close range with, its overpowered.

Having a weakness two things - sniper bullets and Demoman sticky bombs - does not make a class balanced. Frogg has proven time and time again that the class can be played with a lot of skill and mop the floor with everyone, but lately I stopped admiring his and any other Heavy players "skill" because thats not what it is anymore. It's playing a class with a blatant advantage over almost every other class in the game. The same could be said about Scout, my main, except that Scouts can die just like that.

Scouts have to be aware of their surroundings and the situation they are going into, which is also what Heavies -used- to have to do.

Maybe the weakness is that the class is easily overpowered by a dedicated, organized team, but I'm not sure as I have very little experience in that field of play.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternately, when the enemy team has no less than 3 Pyros, all bent on Spychecking each other, their teammates, and thin air. Also random hits from the Flare Gun while cloaked. And general bad luck. And then dying and seeing the enemy Spy backstab half the defense, or see an allied Spy get a chainstab in the kill icons and rage not-so-silently that it seems the universe has it in for a particular Spy today and guess what? It's me.

Sometimes it's just bad luck.

Sometimes it's because the other team only thinks there's one Spy on your team, and they stop Spy Checking once they know you're dead.

Sometimes it's because certain loadouts work better in certain situations. I don't know about you, but I'm constantly adjusting my loadout as Spy to take into account how the enemy is playing and what isn't working.

It never bothers me, vent away. Sometimes a poor round as Spy has its source in a poor core team. A support class performs poorly when there is no team to support it. If other classes are not doing their job then this makes it harder to play proper Spy.

Some of my best rounds have been when my team was overall doing poorly... mainly because the other team's not expecting it.

I'll point you to the round in pl_upwards the other day... the one where you were playing Medic and I got 13 backstabs (or was it 12...) in a single life. My team was losing badly on that one.

I seem to recall you using the phase "Carry your whole team why don't you?" or something to that effect.

the single most infuriating thing in TF2 (other than the Black Box) is getting killed while cloaked by a stray Huntsman arrow

(You misspelled Direct Hit.) But yeah, Huntsman arrows from nowhere suck.

Dick the moves the moves dick you.

What bothers me is when I got laughed at for calling Heavy overpowered. Sorry guys, when a class can out damage most other classes while maintaining the most health (even more so with a Medic) and not going through any downtime in the process (Rockets/Pipes/shotguns all have to be reloaded) then the class is overpowered. When a Pyro has an 80% fail rate against a Heavy he snuck up on and got into close range with, its overpowered.

Having a weakness two things - sniper bullets and Demoman sticky bombs - does not make a class balanced. Frogg has proven time and time again that the class can be played with a lot of skill and mop the floor with everyone, but lately I stopped admiring his and any other Heavy players "skill" because thats not what it is anymore. It's playing a class with a blatant advantage over almost every other class in the game. The same could be said about Scout, my main, except that Scouts can die just like that.

Scouts have to be aware of their surroundings and the situation they are going into, which is also what Heavies -used- to have to do.

Maybe the weakness is that the class is easily overpowered by a dedicated, organized team, but I'm not sure as I have very little experience in that field of play.

As a Pyro, I've found that the flamethrower + Axtiguisher works a LOT better than just a plain flamethrower against a Heavy. A Heavy with a Medic is a bit harder, but that's also 2 on 1.

On an un-overhealed Heavy, flame once, Axtinguish twice will kill them.

Heavies are also extremely vulnerable to Spies. While Frogg is usually good about Spy checking, I've seen him screw up quite a few times... and certain maps allow you to drop down from above to stab.

Heavies are also very vulnerable to really twitchy Scouts, as well as any Soldier who can actually aim rockets instead of walking into point blank range and firing at his feet.

I will agree that Heavies are overpowered on the offensive side of Payload maps, though.

Heavies are also very vulnerable to really twitchy Scouts, as well as any Soldier who can actually aim rockets instead of walking into point blank range and firing at his feet.

I will agree that Heavies are overpowered on the offensive side of Payload maps, though.

Whoops, I meant to mention Scouts in my last post... guess I forgot to go back and edit the Heavy part before posting.

Heavy is overpowered.

Currently the Heavy has the Fists of Steel which are generally agreed to be too powerful for the trade-off. The FOS negates one of the Heavy's hard counters (Sniper) while also negating soft counters. This allows the Heavy to put opponents in unfavorable conditions with little to no risk.

For the most part Heavy is fairly balanced. He was quite underpowered before the spinup and movement buff but has since fallen into a place of usability. Looking at the Heavy we can surmise certain strengths and weaknesses from him.

Strengths:

• High HP
  • High damage at close range
  • Valuable rally point (people follow Heavies)
  • Holds positions well
  • Good Medic buddy

Now we look at the weaknesses:

• Low mobility
  • Large frame
  • Low speed
  • Line of sight damage
  • High damage falloff past mid range
  • Wind up/wind down time on primary weapon
  • Poor burst damage
  • Must often engage in unfavorable condition (mobility)

These inbuilt weaknesses allow several classes to effectively deal with a Heavy. I propose the following classes all can counter Heavy to some extent.

• Sniper (1 per team)
  • Spy (1 per team)
  • Soldier
  • Demoman
  • Scout (barring effective Natascha)
  • Focus fire from any 2 classes

The key to killing a Heavy is to treat him like a sentry gun. The key it to attack where he is not looking or from outside his effective range. Rockets and stickies do more damage than the minigun at mid range. Heavies can also be edged very easily because they move slowly once spun up. The key is to remember that most everyone will lose a straight fight with a Heavy due to his mechanics.

If anyone wants to give me some tips or resources on how to make videos I may make some informational ones on TF2 strategies and how to deal with certain situations.

If anyone wants to give me some tips or resources on how to make videos I may make some informational ones on TF2 strategies and how to deal with certain situations.

I have a step by step process I use to make my own videos:

• Acquire a demo. Either type "record <demoname>" in console or get a plugin like PREC to do it for you. I use PREC because I keep forgetting to do it manually.
  • Play back the demo in TF2 and convert it to video with a method of your choosing. Shift + F2 brings up a Demo UI that lets you speed up/slow down playback, as well as skip to specific frames. (Allegedly. Skipping frames tends to make my own copy crash.) You can use TF2's ingame recorder (.tga sequence or .avi) which tends to be slow but results in a higher quality video when you're done, or use video capture software like FRAPS. (Tip: Use the parameters "-window -noborder -width XXX -height YYY" in TF2's launch options to force specific screen resolutions and alleviate Alt-Tab woes.)
  • Edit the result in the video editing software of your choice. Note that if you record a .tga sequence, you'll need to use something capable of stringing them together like VirtualDub, even if it's just an intermediate step. Also note that .avi files may not play properly in media players until you've finished editing and encoding them, since the methods used to generate the video result in huge filesizes, which media players tend to freak out over.
  • Publish to YouTube or similar.

[*]Good Medic buddy

I agree with all of Necro's post but only quote this so save some space for everyone.

Heavies with Medics become very difficult to engage -- often the key to killing a Heavy is to take out the Medic first, who does not heal as fast. Spies and Snipers can go straight for the Heavy, but a Soldier is often better served firing his rockets at the Medic first, and only engaging the Heavy when he doesn't have backup.

So yeah, this is what my Spy currently looks like:

spy_dual_unusual.png

It looks kind of goofy, but that's both an Unusual Le Party Phantom with Circling Heart and Unusual Fancy Fedora with Circling Peace sign.

I should probably turn on anti-aliasing if I'm taking screenshots... whoops.

Edit: Sorry about the lighting, this was in cp_frontier's third BLU spawn room, which has bad lighting in it.

That just reinforces my opinion that unusuals aren't worth the hype.

Well, these ARE rather low-tier unusuals.

And figures, now that I have the two I currently have, someone offers me a Purple Energy Le Party Phantom for my Max Set + Earbuds... I could almost cry. (Max Set and multiple earbuds were involved in getting the two I have now.)

(Having said that, a pair of unusuals are worth more than a single one, no matter how good it is.)

Whew, I have a Hustler's Hallmark again. It felt strange having only a crappy hat for Demo following my unusual trades.

I was able to clear out a few of my unwanted hats for it, too!

Of course, my old Hallmark was vintage, whereas this one isn't, but that doesn't really matter to me.

Also, Bark, if you're reading this, I didn't mean to ignore you yesterday, I was busy when you sent that and then I accidentally closed my Steam PMs window... I keep forgetting that it's a tabbed window.