Cing files for bankruptcy, future of Hotel Dusk sequel in doubt?

Black Mage

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/07/little-kings-story-hotel-dusk-developer-cing-files-for-bankrup/

Damn, say it ain't so! I loved Hotel Dusk and have waited and wished for a sequel, or at least another game in the game's sketched, film noir style. the story was intricate and the art was awesome. I hope they can get Last Window (the HD sequel) localized.

Am I one of the only people who never got the appeal of Hotel Dusk. I tried (oh how I tried) to get into it, but my god was it ever boring.

Not that I'm happy to see a small dev go under though. I won't say that the Hotel Dusk concept didn't have potential, it was just so poorly executed that I couldn't keep playing. There's always the chance future iterations could have been polished and paced a lot better.

It makes me really sad when these newer companies die. They often make interesting titles that go against the grain of all current top seller lists... and in my opinion, these kinds of developers are the last bastion of hope for the game industry so that consumers have options outside of first-person shooter's and GTA clones. I guess that's what people buy though.

Bad times. I too hope their latest game gets localized.

Darnit, I didn't see this thread and posted about it in the Wii thread. My apologies.

And yeah, this really sucks. Little King's Story was such a charming, expansive, challenging game full of cool stuff and discoveries. Hotel Dusk was a great visual novel with excellent pacing (but a few obtuse puzzles). I never played Trace Memory. Perhaps if I can find a copy I will.

Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean the company is dead, but with 300 million yen in debt, it's unlikely CING will return as the same studio with the same members anytime soon.

Man, I want my HD sequel!

The first was what it said it was: an "interactive novel" more than a game proper. When you look at it that way, the 'game' is more enjoyable, I think.

I must have played/'read' it about 4 or 5 times. It's just a fun story.