OCR02041 - Mega Man 2 "Coiled Copper Wire"

First, I want to thank everyone for the comments and feedback. It really means a lot, both praise and criticism. I'll take it all and do my best to learn and improve for the future. Also, a very big thank you to the folks from the WIP forums for giving me feedback on revision after revision.

Dafydd: For the final version of this song, I was using a MXL991 with a pop filter on-axis to my Hohner Acoustic HW300-TBK. Recorded through a Lexicon Lambda in Sonar 8 or 8.5 (I can't remember exactly which one). I had to EQ out some of the bottom end because of how it was aimed directly at the hole, but the pop filter helped a lot in reduction of that from the get-go. The result was a very warm sound. This is my usual method of recording acoustic guitar, though I'm now using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB instead of the Lambda.

Stevo get LEVEL-UP.

Have to say, this is a good example of what ocremix stands for imo. Taking a great source tune, and throwing it in a great and unexpected direction.

Probably the best remix i've seen from ocr this year.

Btw, Led zeppelin is one of those bands that you really can't get away with sounding like and hoping no one notices :P The part at 0:40 is basically stairway to heaven with metal mans melody over the top :D

I'm not criticizing btw, I think the fact you took metal man and was able to make it sound like led zeppelin of all things is one of the coolest things i've seen anyone do on this site :D

To have taken such an active and busy song, and to have simplified it so majestically, it must have taken a lot of work! There is a passion to this song, not with sounds coming from all angles, but instead with a burning desire designed to test one's mettle. It's very focused, as I think accoustics tend to be, which is a good thing. The jaunty half later on gives it a good kick, as this is Metal Man after all, and he needs to have an edge. Level 99 you did amazing work here, such a change from the normal tone, but you wouldn't be Level 99 if you couldn't pull it off now would you? :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As much as I like this mix, I still have some mixed feelings about it though. For some reason the source isn't quite clear cut until the transition at ~1:30. Before then, the source feels really buried and not that recognizable. Also, the transition and ending feel slightly jarring. The ending especially feels abrupt.

Despite what I just said, I still really like the acoustic rendition of the theme though; it's a very fresh take on the theme. It just has this sense of finality/completeness to it and that it's ready to start the next chapter. I definitely recommend this if you're looking for something different.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to say it, the arrangement is the golden piece to this ReMix. The slow acoustic guitar intro that builds up into something a bit more upbeat is fantastic. And it's an interesting idea, using Metal Man for an acoustic ReMix is a nice little coincidence. Playing sounds clean and crisp, and all in all, not much I can find to nitpick here. Sweet ReMix.

• 1 year later...

I love the imagery evoked by this track, and I have a feeling it could work in a number of varied contexts. In a way, I'm slightly torn: I really like how there's no percussion in the arrangement, but a part of me wonders (and wishes) there had been some light percussion to go with the switch up. But, that lack of percussion might be what makes the track for me, the guitars do a great bit of work driving the track forward while still keeping it laid-back.

I think like a few others, I do get the feeling that this was feeling short but that might be because it almost feels like two songs tied together by one source (and an ending) to me. Sort of the same way a track plays along a scene in a movie and transitions with newly found resolve/motivation in the characters.

Man, the harmonized arpeggio at the end is dope. This arrangement is dope. What's missing is the monochrome shot of a wasteland rolling while a gruff voice narrates how the men who worked there had it tough but did it because they had pride in their work.

All in all, this is another great acoustic track, and despite my lack of familiarity with the source, a wonderful listen.

• 2 years later...

This one truly stands out in the vast sea of Metalman remixes, and is one of the songs that got me interested in remixing. Major props to Stevo for making my favorite acoustic guitar only- remix on OCR, which is saying a lot on a site like this.

First, I must commend the production side of things - the overall quality is great and the guitars have a lovely mellow&warm sound that make this song truly unique. It works so well. Usually acoustic guitars are made to sound so sleek and bright, but this song is a fine example of giving it all a personal feel with some careful mixing and mastering.

And what brings it all together, the superb arrangement, ranging from tender to upbeat and brings out the best of the legendary source melody. The backing guitars are perfectly executed and gel so well together, especially in the ballad-y first half. Such a great remix that continues to inspire me. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02041 - Mega Man 2 "Coiled Copper Wire"