Oh, come on! Cancelled?! (Pirates of the Caribbean game)

The Legendary Zoltan

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1128118p1.html

The mofos cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. It looked like it was going to be the great pirate game ever made and they freaking cancelled it! NOOOOO! I assume it was a money problem because that game did sound like it was going to be expensive as heck to make. But GOD is that the disappointment of the year for me! I was looking forward to that game more than ALL the other PS3 games that are coming out.

God, I hope not! I was looking forward to that as well.

So they wouldn't really just throw out all that material that they had would they? The game must have been somewhat complete by the time they cancelled. Don't they have some way to not waste all that. It seems like they'd be wasting more money by cancelling a project so late in development than they would just releasing it and seeing what happens. They'd get SOME kind of return in that case, wouldn't they? Could someone who knows about marketing or game dev. enlighten me?