3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

So I just grabbed a 3DS XL last night with Gamestop's $100 3DS trade-up deal.

My god this thing is fantastic. A little heavy though, but dem screens! Better impressions when I'm coherent.

One thing I screwed up on though... I didn't transfer my system data/licenses last night before leaving, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to get most of that stuff back now! Most of it is linked to my Club Nintendo account including both the 3DS and the 3DS XL, and I also have the Gamestop receipt. Anyone have any idea of whether I'd be able to get lucky and get ma stuff back?

If not, no real big deal since I don't mind giving devs more of my money and assuming Nintendo could help me out through Club Nintendo, I'd only be out Mario Land 1 and 2, Gargoyle's Quest, Link's Awakening, Shantae and Four Swords.

But yeah...

Yeah, I played with an XL version last night at Target and now I really want one. Really want to transfer over my ambassador games and everything though, so I'm not sure if I can trade in at the same time. My local GS people told me (before it came out, however) that I'd have to pay full price for the XL, transfer everything at home, and then come trade in the original 3DS (which as I understand it, won't be able to let me take advantage of any special offers). Anyone have any more info on that?

Alright so now that I've had more time with it, here are my impressions of the 3DS XL! Prepare for length!

The very first thing you'll notice out of the box is how damn good the thing looks. The finish(blue/red and black) is at least party matte, so it hardly ever gets any finger prints on any side. You'll definitely notice that it's larger and a bit heavier, but that's because of the following.

Opening up, you'll first notice just how huge the screens are. They're roughly DOUBLE the size of the originals', and that actually does help to enhance the 3D effect that much more, not to mention that it's hella awesome to play MK7 or KH3DS on bigger screens. The colors and contrast on both screens are also greatly improved. Very crisp, bright, and distinct. The whole system feels solid, too. The inside feels a bit plasticy, but there's definitely weight to it. The top screen "clicks" into place at 2 settings(half and full open), and it never budges. When turning the 3D slider on and off, you also have to "switch" it, which makes it harder to accidentally turn it off. The L/R and all other face buttons feel more solid.

People complained initially that the speaker sound quality wasn't that great, but while the speakers are smaller, I didn't have that problem, and I even think that when playing with headphones, the audio was even clearer than with the original. One HUGE flaw the 3DS had was that when closed, the top screen could scratch across the elevated border of the bottom screen, which could ruin it, but now the 3DS XL has little nubs on the screen that protects it from just that, in addition to lowering the problematic border.

I don't play games for longer than about an hour and a half, and after that I connect it to the charger anyway, so battery life was never a huge deal for me with the original 3DS, but the battery life for the XL apparently goes all the way to 6.5 hours with everything maxed out and wireless comm. enabled.

All and all, this is what the system probably should have been at launch. Hooray revisionism!

Edited by Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I can corroborate what Malaki said about the XL. It's fantastic. I did the system transfer, but kept my original 3DS for street passing purposes. That is, I can get a free character with any shirt colour from any region once per day.

Of course, since the old system is blank, that means no new puzzle pieces from it... But oh well!

The XL really is a sweet system and I'm very anxious to get one but I decided to wait til they give me the super awesome silver one they got in Eurolandia. Hopefully they put out a new color, perhaps to compliment the Paper Mario, Luigi Manse or the Animal Crossing release. :3

I'm holding out for silver or black too; I don't like the bright colours as much.

So one more reason to check out the Adventure Time game: virt's the composer (which is really a given).

<Mirby> virt: are you working on the adventure time game soundtrack, or is it too early to say

<+virt> Mirby: i am, it's done already, and i will push for an OST album but no promises

<+virt> yes WF is doing adventure time for 3ds and ds, and i am their staff composer, so it's on like tron

Assuming they make a competent game using the license, I'll be more than happy to throw money dollars at WayForward(I'm pretty sure they will though).

Of course Virt's music is awesome, so I'd grab the soundtrack anyway.

From all I've seen of it already, it will be great. Zelda II-style overworld map, sidescrolling areas with fighting, light RPG elements, and combining items to change effects (a hamburger restores some health whereas adding ketchup to it restores all health), along with series creator Pendleton Ward being actively involved in development to ensure the game is as accurate to the show as possible means it will be. :D

Insert post about how WF's games always look, play and sound phenomenal but always seem to disappointment in the amount of game content they offer; how it always feels like they could've only been a bit more ambitious and hold such things as Menu design up to the same standard as their sprite work or virt's tunes. I always expect a Mega Man ZX because I know I'd love a robust single player experience with bosses and different areas and fun and varied combat, but I always end up getting a, well a Mighty Switch Force. :|

Insert post about how WF's games always look, play and sound phenomenal but always seem to disappointment in the amount of game content they offer; how it always feels like they could've only been a bit more ambitious and hold such things as Menu design up to the same standard as their sprite work or virt's tunes. I always expect a Mega Man ZX because I know I'd love a robust single player experience with bosses and different areas and fun and varied combat, but I always end up getting a, well a Mighty Switch Force. :|

Oh ye of little faith. I'm sure WayForward packs a lot more into retail titles than the downloadables such as the Mighty series.

Man you guys are making really want Adventure Time. Wayforward, Virt, AND Pendleton Ward? Yes please.

I've still been looking at ATLUS's Code of Princess. I'm really digging the Online Multiplayer in it. I'm gonna preorder this for the art book and album. Is anyone else thinking of getting it? I would love to do some co-op beat-em-up with you guys.

Hey, if anyone is intrested, NewEgg is having a sale on 3DS Preorders, taking 10 bucks off a 3DS preorder. You can't have multipule 3ds games in one order for each to have the 10 bucks off, but you can have multiple orders. The code is EMCNAJB243

Code of Princess is on the list for those that are on the fence about it, along with the sequel to 999, Professor Layton, Paper Mario, and Animal Crossing. I'm grabbing Paper Mario and Animal Crossing myself.