League of Legends: I finally updated the player list in the OP!

Garian

I think the biggest issue is that it is already structured really well for competitive play (DotA/HoN) but that makes it inherently less forgiving. That's also what makes it aggravating when you get super fed and lose while still going 12-1-15. That's going to happen in LoL because it's a more forgiving game and people "less worthy" are going to be able to match you and win a game. I honestly feel that if LoL wants to break into the same echelon that DotA (maybe HoN but definitely DotA 2) holds in competitive play then Dominion will be its ticket there. DotA is an old flawed game based on archaic mechanic that is well beloved. Too many changes and you won't have the same game (LoL is close but it's definitely not the real deal). The best way to develop the genre is to change the map, change the objective, and then make new mechanics to offset the old mechanics that are probably permanent fixtures. Dominion is about point capture. Carrying and CC have a place but they aren't the main draw. The main draws are balance between offense and defense, less required CC (smaller engagements less targets overall), and an even greater emphasis on teamwork and getting people to locations where you truly need them. It's a step in the right direction I think.

I believe all that means is that DotA itself is generally flawed. I'm not arguing that we should crack DotA in half or all stop playing it forever, but I do believe that trying to justify bad design elements will only continue to slow down game design, especially competitively.

yes.

i think this extends to other genres as well, similar to your analogy as well. strategy games like SC2 at their basis are fundamentally flawed because some humans physically and mentally cannot keep up in terms of APM to other people who are simply wired differently. for FPSes, there's always some asshole with the noob cannon grenading the whole level and getting to tenth prestige without doing really anything.

most gametypes have a fundamental flaw, the difference is that most try and hide that flaw behind some sort of balancing mechanic. DOTA doesn't...they promotes that as the way to win games.

Btw, if you like the idea of Dominion, you should totally pick up Dawn of War 2: Retribution off of Steam whenever it's on sale because it's literally LoL Dominion (hero units with active skills, control points) with a bit less emphasis on the hero and a bit more on being able to build controllable units.

Edited by Tensei

i am 4-1 in ranked games. my ELO - which only displays to others obviously - is 1337.

A SIGN.

1337.png

edit - i am averaging 1.4-4.5-10.4 per game with four of five games coming as a tank, so i'm doing ok. the three games i played with rammus and udyr i'm averaging 2-3-11 with tons of farm and several awesome taunts/stuns to protect teammates, so i feel good.

Edited by prophetik music

I played a bunch of ranked games when I first hit 30.

...lemme tell you, playing ranked when you first hit 30 is NOT a good time to play ranked. When you hit 30 for the first time, you don't know shit about the game, even if you think you do.

Those first ten matches in ranked, where you get double ELO loss and gains? Losing all ten of those hurts something awful.. :?

i'm enjoying ranked games more than non-ranked. people don't leave, your team is mostly try-hards, people buy wards, they usually don't do ridiculous things, they ping for ganks early enough that the jungler can get over there, etc.

as a tank who never, ever will carry a team to victory, i appreciate having smart AD and AP carries. it makes the game so much more fun.

i've only had one really mean idiot in a ranked game so far, and it wasn't in the loss (which i went 1-6-8 in, really bad time...never tank jungle warwick. blame my team for forcing it on me). i played with a sion who talked crap all game, starting in the first few minutes when he didn't leash properly and i lost it, and subsequently couldn't get blue until almost ten minutes in as fiddles (who is hyper-dependent on mana regen early-game). i didn't play well, for what it's worth - i think i went 2-7-15 or so, mostly as a result of being underleveled and asked to cover turrets from enemies four and five levels higher than me - and annie ate me a few times when she was 12 and i was 7 (which is totally my fault, right? when i have full health under a tower and she can spike me to nothing almost instantly). we got two aces late game solely because of my pulling the team's asses out of the fire, though, and we pushed and got three towers and baron from each, so we won it no problem. sion spent the entire time after the game berating me for being terrible, and to enjoy my shitty life, while everyone from both teams told him to shut up. it was frustrating that we had won and that guy still felt he needed to just complain the whole time.

beyond that? ranked has been fun.

Udyr is easy-mode, Lee Sin is overpowered.

Rammus is the kind of jungler where he can do it but there's not really a point to it other than just filling the jungler role on a team. If you want an actual jungler, instead of just some tank/melee dps who can do it, the best six are Lee Sin, Udyr, Nocturne, Trundle, Warwick and Fiddlesticks in no particular order.

Udyr is easy-mode, Lee Sin is overpowered.

Rammus is the kind of jungler where he can do it but there's not really a point to it other than just filling the jungler role on a team. If you want an actual jungler, instead of just some tank/melee dps who can do it, the best six are Lee Sin, Udyr, Nocturne, Trundle, Warwick and Fiddlesticks in no particular order.

rammus might not be the fastest jungler but he's definitely good at ganks.

i'd put xin and shaco in there before lee sin honestly.