Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

"Derailed at Wily Temple" wasn't good enough to get a review? :whatevaa:

Whoopsies, I guess I forgot one!

Derailed at Wily Temple - I really actually enjoyed this one. Great arrangement, great production, and just a really fun mix; I really like the distortion (I think that's what it is) effect. Your songs throughout the compo have been great at creating the soundscape of a train level in a Mega Man game, which fits perfectly for Charge Man. The title fits this one well, too, since you can see it being used after the train has crashed and the player is charging into the final level. Awesome work!

For everyone saying that Lidawg's track was too short, I was actually fine with it on a substance level. To me the structure/direction (and even length) could be considered somewhat similar to Cyril's own "Ninth Fight" on Back in Blue (or even

, lol), and even then I felt this was Lidawg's tightest playing yet capped off with a rather enjoyable interpretation - probably one-sided towards Wily more than Knight though, but still very fun. Easy consideration for my top 3 :)

In regards to short tracks, considering the DoD minimal requirement is 2 minutes in length for a serious entry, I don't see it as a big deal. What DOES make me feel uneasy for wanting to keep in my music playlist is if it's shorter than that, or bobs closer to 1 minute in length, but again as long as the substance is there for me, I'd take it :wink:

For everyone saying that Lidawg's track was too short, I was actually fine with it on a substance level. To me the structure/direction (and even length) could be considered somewhat similar to Cyril's own "Ninth Fight" on Back in Blue (or even
, lol), and even then I felt this was Lidawg's tightest playing yet capped off with a rather enjoyable interpretation - probably one-sided towards Wily more than Knight though, but still very fun. Easy consideration for my top 3 :)

In regards to short tracks, considering the DoD minimal requirement is 2 minutes in length for a serious entry, I don't see it as a big deal. What DOES make me feel uneasy for wanting to keep in my music playlist is if it's shorter than that, or bobs closer to 1 minute in length, but again as long as the substance is there for me, I'd take it :wink:

To each their own, I suppose.

If you look at Txai's third round track in the GMRB 2010: clocking in at 2:17, but still winning the round against prophetik handily.

It's not that a low length is an automatic disqualifier. It's that the song just has to kick that much more ass if it's short.

I'm listening to some youtube Robot Master remixes and I'm now realizing that there were a lot of good robot masters that weren't chosen.

Off the top of my head I can say:

Quick Man

Bright Man

Dive Man

Burst Man

Cloud Man

Tengu Man

Each of the ones I listed have amazing themes.

The list can literally go on and on but I feel the ones I listed above are some of the ones I'm surprised no one took.

I'm listening to some youtube Robot Master remixes and I'm now realizing that there were a lot of good robot masters that weren't chosen.

Quick Man

Bright Man

Dive Man

Burst Man

Cloud Man

Tengu Man

Each of the ones I listed have amazing themes.

Quoted for truth.

I'm really surprised more people don't do Quick Man and Bright Man. Bright Man's probably ignored because he looks like a fat, bald guy.

Also, a lot of people were actively pushing for someone to pick Tengu Man's theme from the Sega Saturn version earlier on. Was pretty close to having Jewbei pick it, but then DarkeSword changed up the way he selected robot masters and he did it randomly. So no Tengu Man.

By the way, you should go vote in the social group!

EDIT:

You are butt poppers who smell like butt poop. Magfest is awesome. Why aren't you guys vandalizing this thread while Shariq is gone?

Butt poop

Cuz the posts don't disappear when he comes back, and I'm nearing critical mass for how much I can take emoticons being thrown at me.

Quoted for truth.

I'm really surprised more people don't do Quick Man and Bright Man. Bright Man's probably ignored because he looks like a fat, bald guy.

Also, a lot of people were actively pushing for someone to pick Tengu Man's theme from the Sega Saturn version earlier on. Was pretty close to having Jewbei pick it, but then DarkeSword changed up the way he selected robot masters and he did it randomly. So no Tengu Man.

By the way, you should go vote in the social group!

EDIT:

Cuz the posts don't disappear when he comes back, and I'm nearing critical mass for how much I can take emoticons being thrown at me.

Yeah I'm listening to the Mega Man 4 complete works OST and it is amazing. I rank MM4 as having one of the best OSTs of all time. Cossack fortress songs 1 and 2 are just ridiculously amazing.

On the subject of Tengu man... I like both of his theme versions just about equally though the Saturn version represents Tengu Man a bit better than the upbeat chipper PSX version.

I was thinking it would be fun for the next robot master competition that instead of everyone picking the same RMs, everyone picks a robot master that hasn't been picked yet. Like...exclude all the RMs from this competition. That way we'd have a whole bunch of new sounds goin around. I noticed a lot of remixers picked RMs they picked before in previous battles. That is no fun.

Go go Clown Man.

Quick Man

Bright Man

Dive Man

Burst Man

Cloud Man

Tengu Man

I've remixed Quick Man and Dive Man before so I didn't want to do them again, although I had both in my Top 5, because I really like both of their themes a lot. Quick Man has been done a lot by other people before too, so that could also be why no one picked him. Dive Man though, I'm surprised isn't remixed more. I actually think I had Burst Man in my Top 5 as well, but I can't remember. Regardless, I think his theme is one of the most under-appreciated themes, as is most stuff from MM7, it's good stuff.

I've remixed Quick Man and Dive Man before so I didn't want to do them again, although I had both in my Top 5, because I really like both of their themes a lot. Quick Man has been done a lot by other people before too, so that could also be why no one picked him. Dive Man though, I'm surprised isn't remixed more. I actually think I had Burst Man in my Top 5 as well, but I can't remember. Regardless, I think his theme is one of the most under-appreciated themes, as is most stuff from MM7, it's good stuff.

True dat. I figured since some of the guys I listed had been done so much it was a no brainer to pick them as you have so much to go off of.

I actually enjoy the MM7 OST. I find it has a lot of really good songs. Plus it has that hidden throwback to SG&G in Shade Mans stage.

I think if I were to arrange the MM 1-8 games in order of best OST to least it would look something like this.

MM3

MM2

MM4

MM7

MM8

MM

MM5

MM6

People will probably disagree with how high I put 7 and 8 in the list but I honestly believe that 5 and 6 have the weakest music in the entire series.

I think if I were to arrange the MM 1-8 games in order of best OST to least it would look something like this.

MM3

MM2

MM4

MM7

MM8

MM

MM5

MM6

People will probably disagree with how high I put 7 and 8 in the list but I honestly believe that 5 and 6 have the weakest music in the entire series.

I would have to agree for the most part. 2 & 3 are definitely the best IMO. 4 & 7 are also both pretty damn good. I don't care much for 8 and 1, and yeah 5 & 6 are the weak links in general I'd say. I'd have to put 9 & 10 (especially 9) up there towards the top of the list too, because they are also both excellent.

Yeah I'm listening to the Mega Man 4 complete works OST and it is amazing. I rank MM4 as having one of the best OSTs of all time. Cossack fortress songs 1 and 2 are just ridiculously amazing.

MM4 music is definitely one of the best, but it does seem to be a bit underrepresented in these compos.

AeroZ took Toad Man in GRMRB 2011, and prophetik has Dust Man and LuketheXJesse has Skull Man in WCRG 2011, but that's it. Three robot masters over the course of three compos.

On the subject of Tengu man... I like both of his theme versions just about equally though the Saturn version represents Tengu Man a bit better than the upbeat chipper PSX version.

Agreed.

I was thinking it would be fun for the next robot master competition that instead of everyone picking the same RMs, everyone picks a robot master that hasn't been picked yet. Like...exclude all the RMs from this competition. That way we'd have a whole bunch of new sounds goin around. I noticed a lot of remixers picked RMs they picked before in previous battles. That is no fun.

Go go Clown Man.

At the start of GRMRB 2011, Darke encouraged people to pick robot masters that were absent last year. Some did, some didn't. Hopefully, more people do in 2012.

Eh, I felt for the most part that MM6 had a very accessible score (moreso than MM3's robot masters in general imo) and fitted the general scope for the series significantly more than 5 and even 8. Maybe aide from Centaur Man and Knight Man I felt they had a great ability to sink into your mind in regards to structure and made them worthwhile to re-arrange, and I felt that Yamato Man was like the crown jewel of the game for me.

Alas, I picked Plant Man from that game mostly for two reasons: simple structure (24 measures split into distinct sections) and the fact that there's no coverage on OCR yet (though I am aware of Vurez's "Amazonian Flower", thank you very much). Even then, I'm sure that between the five of us who represented that game (me, Geoff, Jason, Lidawg and Nuts) we've managed to come out with something really solid for that game's coverage :)

Eh, I felt for the most part that MM6 had a very accessible score (moreso than MM3's robot masters in general imo) and fitted the general scope for the series significantly more than 5 and even 8. Maybe aide from Centaur Man and Knight Man I felt they had a great ability to sink into your mind in regards to structure and made them worthwhile to re-arrange, and I felt that Yamato Man was like the crown jewel of the game for me.

Alas, I picked Plant Man from that game mostly for two reasons: simple structure (24 measures split into distinct sections) and the fact that there's no coverage on OCR yet (though I am aware of Vurez's "Amazonian Flower", thank you very much). Even then, I'm sure that between the five of us who represented that game (me, Geoff, Jason, Lidawg and Nuts) we've managed to come out with something really solid for that game's coverage :)

I agree that MM6 has a pretty accessible score. I actually would rank it in the top half or third of all MM soundtracks. The robot master themes are all pretty solid, but the best part of the soundtrack is Mr. X's Fortress.

I enjoy the music from 5 and 8 more than most of the other games, just because people don't like them as much for whatever reason. I grew up on 8, and 5 just has a bunch of weird writing that I guess isn't as accessible

REMIXTIMEMAGFESTCRABCAKES

Crab cakes yum. I'm ashamed to admit I usually have to look up which robot masters are even in MM5, because that's pretty much the game Capcom was like "well shit guys, we're Out of Ideas Man". Except Napalm Man, his theme rocks.

I'd have to put 9 & 10 (especially 9) up there towards the top of the list too, because they are also both excellent.

The very reason I left 9 and 10 off the list was for the simple fact that they were made so long after the first 8. They pretty much took what made all the music from the previous games amazing and compiled them into 9 and 10. MM9 would probably be number two on my list if I were to include it.

MM4 music is definitely one of the best, but it does seem to be a bit underrepresented in these compos.

AeroZ took Toad Man in GRMRB 2011, and prophetik has Dust Man and LuketheXJesse has Skull Man in WCRG 2011, but that's it. Three robot masters over the course of three compos.

I agree with this and I actually find it to be a bit disappointing at the same time.

At the start of GRMRB 2011, Darke encouraged people to pick robot masters that were absent last year. Some did, some didn't. Hopefully, more people do in 2012.

I was thinking more along the lines of making it an actual competition rule. Not a 'hey I hope you guys pick different robot masters this time around".

Alas, I picked Plant Man from that game mostly for two reasons: simple structure (24 measures split into distinct sections) and the fact that there's no coverage on OCR yet (though I am aware of Vurez's "Amazonian Flower", thank you very much). Even then, I'm sure that between the five of us who represented that game (me, Geoff, Jason, Lidawg and Nuts) we've managed to come out with something really solid for that game's coverage

I just think MM3 has the market on catchy themes for the entire series. I mean, come on, you have Snake Man, Top Man, Shadow Man, Magnet Man and Needle Man all in one place. It's insane.

MM6 has a few good themes in it but for the most part I don't really care for it personally. I thought MM8 had some amazing themes. Aqua Man and Sword Man are two of my favorites from that game. Also, listen to the Sega Saturn versions of the MM8 themes. The instruments are so much better than the PSX version.

I love Plant Man. That remix of Plant Man's stage on the Mega Man anniversary collection was freakin' awesome and yeah I think you peeps did a good job with reppin' MM6.

All in all I think that the series started off kinda slow music and gameplay wise and then the gameplay and music got better going into MM2-4 and then the gameplay kept getting better while the music sorta fell off MM5-6 and then they both picked back up on a newer console that had better capabilities in MM7. Finally they ended it on, what I would say, is a pretty high note with MM8. The style was kinda kiddy but the music was good and it was decently challenging (I'm looking at you Wily Tower 1). Fast forward to 2009 and Capcom hits the nail on the head yet again with MM9. Then a year later in 2010 they keep driving that nail home with MM10. Seems they finally learned from their past Mega Man game experiences.

Crab cakes yum. I'm ashamed to admit I usually have to look up which robot masters are even in MM5, because that's pretty much the game Capcom was like "well shit guys, we're Out of Ideas Man". Except Napalm Man, his theme rocks.

My fave RM from MM5 is Gravity Man.