Killer Studio Chops Lol?

Brandon Strader

Sorry, not enough Killer Studio Chops. I suggest you spend more time killing with chops dressed as a studio. If you don't have the money or the college degree, you can always dress as a home studio or a portable pocket studio. Please let us know when you get your formal degree in KSC and buttrock before resubmitting. :)!!

In all seriousness, it's pretty good. The keytar solo in the middle seems to be little on the ear piercing side for me, but the majority is pretty good. It's got that high quality sound in a silly song, like Weird Al. :)

But to contribute to the actual topic, this was one of my more favored DoD entries. I think it was 4 or 5 on my list (which given the other entries is pretty damn good).

Omg really? Thank you so much :-D

Man I've been focusing on the bad comments, it's good to have some positive re-enforcement every now and again..

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe... well thanks everyone for their very nice comments, I subbed this on I think January 23rd so wish it luck.

I NEVER get mod feedback on mixes EVAR EVAR well ok maybe once or twice. But I ain't gonna put songs on the workshop forums anymore so there. I'm either really lucky to get no comments because a song is good (?) or very unlucky to not get any comments cause they all hate me and my music. Either way... thanks y'all for the nice comments... no hate!

Still want a mod review? You're getting one.

The whole track starts off with the rhythm guitars note quite lining up. The 3:50 acoustics kind'a feel the same. Timing isn't a problem throughout, but those two parts stand out to me.

The arrangement seems more like a cover than an arrangement. It's a long track to analyze, and by your plan you'd have subbed this almost a month ago, so I won't spend much time on figuring out the differences.

The source is repetitive, it goes forth and back between its parts, and while the backing changes somewhat, a lot stays the same through the repetitions. As a conservative take on it, you do the same, and that makes it feel like it's looping somewhere.

The sound of the organ at 2:20-2:40 bothers me. Something about it doesn't sit right. Nice voice work, the transitioning from between two different voices works well. Everything else is on par imo. Cool track, and a hilarious source.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

- Timing not tight enough

STRUCTURE

- Too repetitive

Man Rozo you say ALL of my songs are out of time! :cry: And yeah it's conservative and repetitive but it's somewhat less repetitive than the source (the solo section is half as long!) and it's a bit faster than the source... and it's also conservative but it has a fair deal of personalization, yah? Most of the rhythms are original apart from that palm-muted triplet! Do you feel that it is not enough for this to pass?

Man Rozo you say ALL of my songs are out of time! :cry: And yeah it's conservative and repetitive but it's somewhat less repetitive than the source (the solo section is half as long!) and it's a bit faster than the source... and it's also conservative but it has a fair deal of personalization, yah? Most of the rhythms are original apart from that palm-muted triplet! Do you feel that it is not enough for this to pass?
Let me get this straight. You asked for Mod criticism on a project. You got what you wanted, and all you can do is make excuses without actually trying to improve you're mix based on specific feedback? If you weren't going to listen in the first place, you should have just submitted it already.

I advise you to actually take the construction seriously, and try to address the issues he brought forth. Unless of course, you felt all this time that it was already good enough. Which would then lead me to wonder why you even made this topic to begin with.

Consider a Mod review that results in a less than stellar review here to be the equivalent of a NO on the judges panel. Make the necessary improvements/fixes he suggested so that when you do submit it, you can do so with a great deal more confidence that it will be Yes'd. There won't be any doubt or need to make excuses.

That's cuz you no can play teh ryhtmts. Seriously, most of it wasn't an issue, and artistic license may extend to the acoustic guitars' lack of sync. The rhythm guitar in the intro seems like it should be tighter, tho.

I don't actually know what I'd say. Structurally, it's conservative. It's just a question of to what extent the judges feel the arrangement as a whole has been interpreted. I mean, consider a simpler source, like the Zelda overworld source, that there's a different rhythm underneath most of the time most certainly wouldn't be enough on its own. That you've got a vocal performance and a change in genre add interpretation to it.

I don't know if I'd pass this. If I was a judge, I'd focus on other mixes and hope another judge would provide more insight into it... while spending a few weeks with the source in my playlists.

Let me get this straight. You asked for Mod criticism on a project. You got what you wanted, and all you can do is make excuses without actually trying to improve you're mix based on specific feedback? If you weren't going to listen in the first place, you should have just submitted it already.

Haven't seen you around. Hi. :D

Everyone's got the right to question any and all criticism they get and ask for clarification. What Brandon's doing here isn't ignoring criticism. I do appreciate your level of respect for the mod review, but we're not gods. :P

edit: ninja'd.

No question I will take your feedback in for a "next version" if I am forced to produce one. :lol: I could simply chop a more perfect, or a series of more perfect sections and loop them for the rhythm at the intro. As an artist I tend to leave small discrepancies like that which the "average listener" probably wouldn't even be aware of. I think the imperfection is what makes it sound real and human

. :-o It's a legitimate thing to point out, and that small flub wouldn't have even been noticeable if I had used the higher gain settings like the ones I recorded it with. I went with lower gain which exposes stuff like that a lot more. And I had to use lower gain because of hardware issues that were causing an insanely loud buzz. Some of that buzz is present in the intro because I didn't want to cut it there so people could hear what was up, that's buzz with low gain.. imagine it with high or even moderate gain. :-P

But yeah, I've had some pretty conservative stuff pass so I guess I try to "walk the line" as Johnny Cash would say, hahaha. I used to make stuff that was way too liberal. Funny, ain't it? But yeah I'm hoping this does well as is but I'll definitely have to change it if it gets no'd, or else nobody will ever hear it, eh? I guess the judge perspective will determine whether it passes or needs to have very substantial changes made to it as a whole. I can tell you one thing, if I have to re-amp it due to the guitars, it'll sound completely different. I'd definitely push to get higher gain if I had to redo it. Thanks rozo :-D

lol, nice example. There's quite a range between artificial-sounding perfection and sloppy takes. The parts I pointed out were a step too close to the latter to my ears. Your stuff does sound human, which is one of the things I like about it. It's just that you're bordering on sloppy sometimes, and when I notice it, it bothers me.

But hey, good luck with this mix. I had never heard of this game, it seems hilarious. Nice work shining a light on underappreciated music, dude. :D

Seeing as you subbed this almost a month ago, I've changed the thread prefix to "finished". No need to mod review whats already subbed :P

Your "growling" vocals almost sound like lemmy. It has to be said tho, you DO have a minor problem with time keeping. I've heard worse from you but poor time keeping can greatly affect the enjoyability of a mix and you can sometimes cross that line. You haven't here, but it might be worth trying to tighten up your playing a little, particularly since you do heavy metal, which calls for pretty much midi like precision. You've got some nice solos here btw :D