Sonic - Green Hill Zone (another cynic project remix)

cynicmusic

5/5/2012 --- updated a new mix. BTW at about 2:50 it goes back into the old mix. I haven't updated the 2nd repeat section yet.

cynicmusic.com/temp/47_realtime+L2at-6dB.mp3

One of two sonic remixes I'm working on. This is probably my 5th green hill remix but certainly not my last! I'm The intro isn't finished yet so it's faded in. All feedback welcome or make the intro for me ;)

this is the old mix for comparison

http://cynicmusic.com/temp/2012_March_aSonicRemix28aa.mp3

I wholeheartedly agree, this is really beautiful. The instruments mesh well great together and create a nice atmosphere. I enjoyed your previous mix here on OCR a lot too! The intro doesn't sound bad to me, the fade-in sort of works.

And since you're such a big Sonic fan... you should check out this Sonic remix tournament I'm going to be hosting very soon :)

I don't know about the intro. The only thing that sticks out is that the guitar feels a bit harsh compared to the rest of the song. As for the intro, beautiful, It has a adventurous feel to it that keeps going the whole song. I could say that the harp feels slightly off-beat to me. That may just be my personal opinion. Otherwise this is... beyond my ability to accurately describe in words. I'm getting a zelda-ish vibe. I love the instrumentation and the new material you bring to the classic theme. The percussion is upbeat. The chords are rich. I can say for sure that this is the best WIP I've ever seen... not that that is great praise. However, I'd be very happy to see this on the main page. I'm currently on my third listen and it's still as good. Great job! I'm saving this to my hard drive just in case it gets abandoned. Just try not to let that happen. :-D

Must agree with the sentiments of Emunator. I'm a green hill mix whore and the mixes cynic turns out are hands down my favourites. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better than April Rain he pulls this one out!

Please don't ever stop making these sir

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love this. It gives a very reflective feel to the Green Hill theme, which is usually remixed in a much more rocked-out manner. I agree with previous sentiments that there maybe should be more to the ending, but even if you never changed that part, it would still be very very good. The levels feel great, it almost crosses into muddiness but stays safely on the clean side, and the choice of instruments is great. I hope you submit this soon!

So amazing. I was listening to this the other night and it felt like a 6 minute remix to me, it blew my mind when I downloaded the song and realized it was only 3:30. It feels like you cover a lot of territory in such a short time.

I can't find any serious flaws here, I'd honestly say this is submission-ready as soon as you feel happy with the level of polish.

It's so refreshing to hear such a high quality song that's still in the workshop, it shows you want to improve even when you sound spectacular. Honestly this is an amazing mix and arrangement, just new enough to not be the same but different in an awesome way that made it feel like a new song. It's like a cool ambient/orchestra type deal. The only complaint I'd have is really everything percussive, really percussion is a very broad range of sounds but you should really try to take more advantage of it. Try to find some more samples of percussion (cymbals, timpanis, snares, bongos, whatever isn't played with wind or string). But really I think this is pretty close to submission quality, you could try right now anyways in my opinion.

Wonderful, wonderful sounds here! I love this arrangement. Not many people try to get very creative with this song, but you've definitely got it down! ;)

I really enjoyed the chord progression in the beginning of the song. It makes you feel so at peace.

I hope to see this again soon as a submission. Top notch work here.

• 3 weeks later...

lmao, california girls.

man i really love those pizzacato (i think?) strings. the entire soundscape really reminds me of owen pallet for some reason.

i didn't think it could be better but you weren't joking when you told me you've made an improved version.

i'm very biased about my orchestral songs, but this will surely end up in my favorites playlist as it grows on me. superb job

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the most peaceful/cheery version of Green Hill I've ever heard to date. And... I have a soft spot for good orchestrations. Somebody should turn this into a field theme or credits theme or something!

I admire your chord work in this piece. I really do. Sometimes, the chords are enough to tell that it's Green Hill. There's a decent amount of variation, which I enjoy. My favourite parts are all the places where the celesta comes in.

Respect. :grin:

Holy mother of....

By far, my favorite version of Green Hill Zone, and Ive heard A LOT!

As stated before the ending is sort of weak, I like the orchestration of it, just add some UMPH! to it, and this will be golden!

Edit: Scratch that. Listened to it again, and I think its perfect!