ReMixing With The Stars

MindWanderer

It's been brought up that part of determining whether somebody is a 'star' or a 'novice' should be up to the remixer him/herself. If you don't know how to mix stuff....don't sign up to be a 'star' :D

It could also be cool if people don't only exclusively sign up as one or the other. Everyone has a talent to share, or can improve their craft no matter how experienced.

Yeah, it's probably the best we've got. Anyone can sell stuff on soundcloud or bandcamp, anyone can take a few audio and/or music courses, anyone can have had an instrument in their room for years, anyone can have x views on his youtube vids... and still know jack shit about making music. As you can have none of that, and still make good tracks, none of those things are good requirements for this star thing.

If you get a mix posted, you're doing something right with your music. So it's something.

I'm talking about Modus's suggestion for solid "star" criteria.

Well, jooj standards are pretty much at Wizpig difficulty. I figure there's more to it than dumb luck to get posted these days. Maybe some of the older stuff was not so good, which is the real problem to me. Some of dem 2000 mixes... *shudder*

Plus pretty much all of you guys are too hard on yourselves.

It's been brought up that part of determining whether somebody is a 'star' or a 'novice' should be up to the remixer him/herself. If you don't know how to mix stuff....don't sign up to be a 'star' :D

I agree with TGH on this. The people who know themselves best are themselves. If they don't feel comfortable mentoring, then so be it.

You gotta have some sort of solid criteria for stars and non-stars. Maybe like, a posted mix or job in the industry. Unless you have stars sponsor people, I guess.

As much as it might bug people, I have to agree with this. I'm sorry if some people don't feel as comfortable about their posted remix status as others, but in a competition like this there is an issue with over-complication. Keep it simple - posted mixers are considered 'stars' and non-posted mixers are not. I know it's not always true from either end, but without solid criteria there are going to be problems with ambiguity down the road, guaranteed.

To give a little leeway, I'll add that if someone isn't posted yet, but has an accepted remix, then they can be either/or, pending on how they feel. Otherwise don't give too much leeway on it or else it's just going to make the competition too confusing for the person running it down the road (MindWanderer).

So now we have two ways of deciding star/novice status: personal choice, and mixpost, neither is perfect, but they're the best we have so far. MW's call for which to use.

Well, jooj standards are pretty much at Wizpig difficulty. I figure there's more to it than dumb luck to get posted these days. Maybe some of the older stuff was not so good, which is the real problem to me. Some of dem 2000 mixes... *shudder*

Plus pretty much all of you guys are too hard on yourselves.

Relevant.

A mixpost is like a good score in a game, eg darts. Just because you got a good score once doesn't mean you're good at it. You're good at it when you consistently get a good score in it.

Your idea of a good score will change as you improve. First, a good score is hitting the target at all. Then it's hitting the target with all darts. Then it's getting higher scores. Maybe 15 (on a 1-10 target) counts as good at some point, later 30.

There's more to it than dumb luck, you have to throw the darts in the right direction too. ;)

Don't listen to his candied words, he's no novice.

<3 That means a lot to me, and I'm being totally srs. I also have some new tunes to show you. Unfortunately, you are on facebook exactly never. I'm working on a 9-bit album, and I'm going to write some jazzy business to make one, Mr. DOME, proud.

I listened to his candied words once, and woke up on his couch with no recollection of the night before

No wait, that was at Ben's...

2hnrif4.jpg