Hyrule Historia Coming to America!!

Mirby

272 pages? Nice, not a thin coffee table book like some perfect works things released. I'm not sure their whole retconning of the Hyrules from the various games makes a lot of sense, but I'm sure this book will be worth it just for the pretty art.

How exactly is it retconning? They all fit together nicely, from the extensive research I've done on everything.

How exactly is it retconning? They all fit together nicely, from the extensive research I've done on everything.

they literally take most of the earlier games in the series and say "maybe this could have happened, but it didn't really happen"

not that I really care much because loltimelines, but it's pretty obviously a revision and not the way it was originally planned

they literally take most of the earlier games in the series and say "maybe this could have happened, but it didn't really happen"

not that I really care much because loltimelines, but it's pretty obviously a revision and not the way it was originally planned

I see...

Anyways, the majority of the book is the concept art and other stuff, so it's worth it just for that.

It's the whole split timeline thing they did in order to make every game fit. It seems a bit forced to me, and seems like they worked it all out after Skyward Sword was announced so they'd have some extra PR ammo to throw at us to hype the game. It doesn't seem like "oh yeah, this is what we planned all the long".

It's the whole split timeline thing they did in order to make every game fit. It seems a bit forced to me, and seems like they worked it all out after Skyward Sword was announced so they'd have some extra PR ammo to throw at us to hype the game. It doesn't seem like "oh yeah, this is what we planned all the long".

just so you know... the split timeline theory has been around since wind waker came out. which was oh i dunno 8 years ago? this is not new. sooo i'd kind of beg to differ

the whole 'if he's defeated' thing does serve as a neat way to tidy up all the games that don't necessarily fit but they are all also games where ganon is an already-present threat (aside from link's awakening which was a big dream on an imaginary island) as opposed to the other games in the series where ganon (or sometimes vaati) is a newly arisen threat. so thematically it still fits just fine i don't see a huge problem with it.

just so you know... the split timeline theory has been around since wind waker came out. which was oh i dunno 8 years ago? this is not new. sooo i'd kind of beg to differ

the whole 'if he's defeated' thing does serve as a neat way to tidy up all the games that don't necessarily fit but they are all also games where ganon is an already-present threat (aside from link's awakening which was a big dream on an imaginary island) as opposed to the other games in the series where ganon (or sometimes vaati) is a newly arisen threat. so thematically it still fits just fine i don't see a huge problem with it.

When I say "it seems" that sort of implies my opinion. Your opinion is that the timeline fits great, mine is that it seems contrived and retconned.

yeah pretty much my thoughts exactly.

When I say "it seems" that sort of implies my opinion. Your opinion is that the timeline fits great, mine is that it seems contrived and retconned.

yes i understand. but what you 'seem' to believe is just not true, because the idea of that timeline being like that is nearly a decade old. so they did *not* retcon anything a.k.a. your opinion of what it 'seems' like is incorrect. unless your use of the word retcon is implying that all the games should have been in order, which we've known they weren't since forever.

i'm not trying to flame you that's just the truth. what you thought was wrong. it's okay. you probably just didn't know.

yes i understand. but what you 'seem' to believe is just not true, because the idea of that timeline being like that is nearly a decade old. so they did *not* retcon anything a.k.a. your opinion of what it 'seems' like is incorrect. unless your use of the word retcon is implying that all the games should have been in order, which we've known they weren't since forever.

i'm not trying to flame you that's just the truth. what you thought was wrong. it's okay. you probably just didn't know.

Okay, that's fine. So it's old and was probably worked out at around the time of Wind Waker, which makes sense. But it reads like it's been hastily cobbled together to me regardless. I mean it probably was tough trying to think up a way to link the games in a way that would make the fans happy, but they didn't have to include every game in the franchise (minus the Phillips CD-I games, because nobody wants them along to the party). I can't think of a better way to do it other than to just break it down into a few seperate universes that have similar aspects, instead of the split timeline/alternate reality thing. Maybe there's no good way to do it, I don't know.

Okay, that's fine. So it's old and was probably worked out at around the time of Wind Waker, which makes sense. But it reads like it's been hastily cobbled together to me regardless. I mean it probably was tough trying to think up a way to link the games in a way that would make the fans happy, but they didn't have to include every game in the franchise (minus the Phillips CD-I games, because nobody wants them along to the party). I can't think of a better way to do it other than to just break it down into a few seperate universes that have similar aspects, instead of the split timeline/alternate reality thing. Maybe there's no good way to do it, I don't know.

Let me take this sidebar from the GameInformer article about Skyward Sword before it was released. If you have Issue 222, you can find this on page 55.

THE CHRONOLOGY OF ZELDA

___Each Zelda game stands on its own fairly well, but hardcore Zelda fans have spent ages concocting complex theories about how the whole series could connect into a complicated history of Hyrule. With Nintendo being so forthcoming about Skyward Sword being a prequel to Ocarina of Time and telling the origin story of the Master Sword, I can't help but ask Aonuma if the developers behind the games spend much time thinking about how they relate to each other.

___"Obviously we've made so many games now that we can't help but think about how those games connect to one another," Aonuma says. "However, that consideration comes late in the development process. When we create a new game, we don't start with a preset notion of what the story is going to be or how it's going to flow. We start by focusing in on what the core gameplay element is going to be and then develop from that."

___With Skyward sword, the team went into the game knowing that the core gameplay element would be the WiiMotion Plus. With the focus on more fully realized controls, it made sense for the sword itself to play an important part in the plot. So when does it get put into the official timeline?

___"There is a document on my computer that has a stamp on it that says 'Top Secret,'" Aonuma tells me with a laugh. "I actually haven't even shown it to many of the staff members. One of the special privileges of being the producer of the series is that I have the right as we're finalizing the game's story to then decide where it fits in."

___Aonuma says he is afraid that revealing the official Nintendo timeline would lead future Zelda teams to focus on the story more than the gameplay. "People start to focus in on the storyline and gaps in the timeline," he explains. According to Aonuma's design philosophy this is "a backward way of creating a game." Wish as they might for an official word from on high, fans are probably going to have to keep guessing on the true nature of Zelda's history.

Though this reveals that they don't think about placement until late in development, they've always had the timeline in mind. And it wasn't until Hyrule Historia (my guess is he was being tightlipped on that to keep HH's release a secret) that it was revealed to the public.

Ordered on Amazon.ca, will get it around Feb 3rd, 2013.

This is the first time in my life I have ever pre-ordered a book.

Now, to get more books like this for other series. I'd kill everyone of you (especially Mirby) for an English Pokémon book like this. If only every major series had their own version of Valve's "Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar", perhaps the best video game book ever made.

Ordered on Amazon.ca, will get it around Feb 3rd, 2013.

This is the first time in my life I have ever pre-ordered a book.

Now, to get more books like this for other series. I'd kill everyone of you (especially Mirby) for an English Pokémon book like this. If only every major series had their own version of Valve's "Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar", perhaps the best video game book ever made.

It's a shame my ability is Sturdy. You'll try killing me, but I'll survive and flee.

• 3 months later...

For some reason my August pre-order is no longer existing. I had to pre-order again, even though I had entered my credit card for the first pre-order.

I'm hoping that they will look at the two and see what is going on, but I feel that they just lost the first one. Hopefully, I will not be ending up with two charges for one order. Or two orders for one item.

For some reason my August pre-order is no longer existing. I had to pre-order again, even though I had entered my credit card for the first pre-order.

I'm hoping that they will look at the two and see what is going on, but I feel that they just lost the first one. Hopefully, I will not be ending up with two charges for one order. Or two orders for one item.

What about two items for two orders?