Suggestions, please!

If you don't already have one, I'd start with scorewriting software like Sibelius 7 (Sibelius is shit in my opinion, but it's popular), Finale or Guitar Pro because DAWs are crap for composing/arranging music.

Speaking of, to do the actual recording, mixing etc. You would need a DAW such as Reaper, Fl Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase...the list goes on.

At the risk of starting an argument on DAWs, bullshit. Fl Studio can be your go-to program for that just as well as those. If you figure out how get a thing going in there, you could do album after album on pretty much any DAW.

i don't think there's any argument that DAWs can produce albums - but for composing and arranging in a notation-sense DAWs aren't really equipt for that and when they are, they aren't very user-friendly. So if you want to make arrangements (in a notation sense) and compose written music then, yes use Sibelius or Finale or Guitar Pro.

But if you want to make music HERE, you're pretty much gonna need a DAW as Sib/Finale/Guitar Pro don't do much in the way of altering sound, recording audio, audio effects, synthesis.

I suspect there's just confusion over what composition/arrangement means... because people say arrangement in a very DAWy way and people say arrangement in a pen and paper (or sibelius/finale) way.

I agree with what's said above; I usually start with Finale Printmusic then shift over to logic for sequencing. Since your budget is low, if you want to try the compose -> sequence route (I have several friends that directly sequence in FL and Reason with no notation), try out http://musescore.org/ - it's open source, and very usable. Used it for a bit when my laptop went for repairs.

DAW wise, I really can't say as I haven't used windows in ages, much less so for sequencing. I would suggest looking at FL Studio as they have a variety of bundles to suit your budget, then there's reaper, sonar, studio one, etc, some with various tiered pricing.

Also, if you are intending to record stuff, if you buy an audio interface, it may come with a daw. I think mine came with Cubase LE, iirc. Oh, even midi keyboards do that, I think my m-audio keyboard came with cubase le as well lol.

All the best!

I'm new to this, and i would like any suggestions for remix software, as i am trying to be a ReMixer myself...any help is much welcomed

SOLDIER0m3ga

Great to meet you, Omega. I really only know about the DAW that I use personally and that's Sonar and it can make printable sheet music very well in my opinion. Maybe some other DAWs have some kind of faster or more streamlined interface for it but you can do everything you need for notation in Sonar, no problem. Here's a picture of what it looks like.

http://www.myspace.com/cakewalksoftware/photos/66273499

I usually do it without those other windows at the bottom. I sequenced a song on there using the mouse and keyboard and then printed out the 10 or so different orchestra instruments and gave them to musicians to play when I was in college. No problem yo.

I got Sonar Studio Edition with doesn't come with as many instrument samples and effects as the Producer Edition but still let's me record anything I want. Besides, one can always buy a sample library and use it in Sonar. If you have any more questions about Sonar, I may be able to answer.

Although I have made a few remixes, I feel like I'm in a similar position as you because I'm only just now trying to buy a computer and orchestral samples for some SERIOUS compositions. Let's DO IT!

Thanks for the advice everyone....to answer your question, Gallen...i have windows 7 on a Dell Dimension E310...budget-wise, kinda shaky right now, being in between jobs

SOLDIER0m3ga

Personally, when it comes to music, I much rather prefer Macs, because I believe Macs work better for music production and film production and stuff, so I encourage the use of a Mac, though Windows will work too. I just believe Macs work better for this stuff. You could probably get Pro Tools for Windows, and Pro Tools is most certainly the best choice besides Logic Pro, though it is quite expensive.

I just believe Macs work better for this stuff. You could probably get Pro Tools for Windows, and Pro Tools is most certainly the best choice besides Logic Pro, though it is quite expensive.

Your belief is false, I'm sorry. Pro Tools is nice for some things, but Windows also has a lot of other stellar options. Reaper, FL Studio, Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live, Reason, ACID...all of these and more will do the job just as well.

Yes, Logic is a stellar DAW. It's also got a very steep learning curve for anything besides basic functions. A lot of other programs are much more newbie-friendly. Same goes for Pro Tools; honestly, in my experience, Pro Tools is not so good as a content creation DAW (i.e. what you'd be looking for as an OC ReMixer), but rather as a content recording and editing DAW.

Soldier, my advice is this: go and download some demo software and start playing around. Find out what works best for YOU, because DAWs and their usefulness are VERY subjective. No matter which one you end up choosing, you're probably going to be able to get help with it on this forum, since (obviously) everyone uses such a wide variety of stuff here.

I took a music production class two years ago.

Tried to write a song in Garageband. Got ok results.

Tried to write a song in Pro Tools. Didn't work.

Pro Tools is a fancy, multi-track high quality version of Audacity. Audio editing is all it's good for, really, but you can't write songs in it without recording every single thing. The MIDI editing is atrocious.

if anyone has had a question as to the styles of ReMix i'm trying for...Heavy metal/TranceMetal/Gothrock/GothTrance....yes, bLiNd, djpretzel, Audix, and DarkeSword are the primary inspirations that i have...and i do occasionally will try Piano/Ambient/Acoustic once i get the feel for ReMixing....thank you, everyone, for welcoming me to the family

SOLDIER0m3ga

Again thanks for the advice...Meteo, these replies actually do help...it's good to have a wide variety of options...question for Flexstyle...what would be a good demo program to whet my claws on??

SOLDIER0m3ga

Your best bet might be to demo these DAWs to start off with:

Reaper (or Sonar, Logic, Cubase, Studio One)

Live

FL Studio

Reason

They all offer different workflows. See which one you initially like the most. Also maybe watch some tutorial videos on each.

From a personal perspective I started out on FL Studio. Once I tried some other DAWs I realized FL really did not fit my work flow. So I changed and never looked back. That's why it is good to try a bunch now before you get too invested in any particular piece of software.

FL Studio is what DarkeSword and djpretzel (or at least I think he used to) uses, it's good for every kind of music but does electronic music especially well. It has a unique modular format for everything, so all the organization is DIY. People call it a kiddie DAW because it's too hard for them to understand. ;)

Reason is a closed solution (no VST's), and it's very good at creating electronic music. It has a very unique system where all the instruments and effects are styled in a rack format and you can wire things together as you can in real life. People dislike that Reason has no VST support, but the sounds it has in itself aren't bad at all.

REAPER is a great baseline DAW that can do everything adequately. It's very cheap too. Can record, edit, support instruments and effects. If you don't wanna invest in a more specialized system, this is more general and universal.

Cubase is one of the higher ups. It has a traditional track system and lots of people like its piano roll (better piano roll makes editing MIDI data easier). If you really know not much about DAW software, things like Pro Tools and Cubase are what people think of when they hear the word. It's a little more advanced than REAPER. bLiNd uses this for his orchestral music.

Ableton Live is really good at creating electronic music. It has a performance pattern system where you write your music in even bar sections called clips. They can be 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. measures long and to lay down your track arrangement you can hit play and trigger the clips, and it records all of the data played to its arrangement window where you can tweak things like automation. You can also write music the more traditional way, by hitting play and then recording your instruments by playing the MIDI keyboard or recording audio from a guitar, mic or something like that. bLiNd uses this for his electronic music.

I've tried Studio One briefly, and honestly there's not a heavy difference from other traditional DAWs. Still, it's a new modern system created from the ground up and it's good for lots of different music types. It's good at recording and it has its own mastering solution built in.

Short answer: Reaper. Unless you have any specific workflow preferences none of us know about, get Reaper. Then get instruments. Then get practicing. Then stop being bad at this stuff. Then make good music.

You won't be able to make metal without:

1) drums, which will take a lot to record, cost time and money to get virtually, and take ages to do for free.

2) guitar, which is still quite an investment of time and money to do virtually, but takes time to learn and money to get recording gear too. If you don't already play guitar, this will be the hardest part of making metal.

The more electronic styles, still dark and heavy, are easier on the stuff you need, but you'll still have to spend a fair amount of time getting the right sounds and learning to write and mix it.

You're, as you said, new to this, so you ought to know before you start that this isn't learning a four chord song on guitar - this takes years... and when you look back and see how much music you've made, much of which is enjoyable, you know it's worth it.

TL;DR: Get Reaper. Practice. Improve.